Quantcast
A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out

My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger

Default A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice. Recently, we've been getting visits to our place and it's while we are out. I know this because we have the apartment buzzer that is connected to the phone, so when they press our room number at the entrance it shows up as a call with the time to our land line and the name of the apartment complex.

What bothers me is that it's ALWAYS while were out and I was thinking that maybe someone (read: our landlords or previous tenants) come by to look at the place while we are out.

If it is the landlords, is it legal for them to just come by and enter whenever they want? Am I allowed to change the locks if we are just renting the place?

Any advice or anyone know the law about this?
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-02-2010 at 11:47 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Check your rent agreement to see what it stipulates in regards to inspections and landlord visits and such. But generally speaking landlords have to consult you first, fix a time (usually give a day's notice) and then drop by if they wish to inspect the place or anything like that.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-02-2010 at 11:49 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I believe you are to be given 24 hours unless it is an emergency.

Make sure you prove they have been coming in before you accuse them.

I had this problem once before.

If I recall correctly landlords have to give you 24 hour notice by law. My landlord used to invite him and guests in to view my suite 2 months before I was due to leave, I went and talked to a small time lawyer who ended up getting me out of the lease 2 months early with my damage deposit back, because had the landlord disputed he could have been charged with some sort of law I can't remember the name of lol. I bet he just came and ate my leftovers because food was always missing.

My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Check your rent agreement to see what it stipulates in regards to inspections and landlord visits and such. But generally speaking landlords have to consult you first, fix a time (usually give a day's notice) and then drop by if they wish to inspect the place or anything like that.
    yes, our lease agreement does say at least 24 hours notice.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I believe you are to be given 24 hours unless it is an emergency.

Make sure you prove they have been coming in before you accuse them.
    right, im going to set up a camera when were out and see if anything happens. IF by chance it was them, what am I able to do?
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-02-2010 at 11:53 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by eg_eric

right, im going to set up a camera when were out and see if anything happens. IF by chance it was them, what am I able to do?
    Well that depends on what you are looking to do. Are you not happy where you are, looking for ways to get our of your rent agreement? This could give you a reason to do that.

If nothing like that and you're happy where you are just confront your landlord and say that you know they've been entering your place when you're out and you don't appreciate it. Ask them to consult you before in the future.

EDIT: If you want to stay where you are I would recommend you be polite when you speak to them and make them realize that they are breaching a contract which is illegal. You obviously don't want to get on their bad side if you wish to stay where you are, right.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.

My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger

Originally posted by shakalaka

Well that depends on what you are looking to do. Are you not happy where you are, looking for ways to get our of your rent agreement? This could give you a reason to do that.

If nothing like that and you're happy where you are just confront your landlord and say that you know they've been entering your place when you're out and you don't appreciate it. Ask them to consult you before in the future.
    oh no i love the place, it's just that i really wouldn't like anyone just coming in and out of the place (or spying on it) especially when my wife is home alone.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

If you have the gigabytes on your computer, wire it up!

Or leave paper in the jam ... if it's not there before you get back...

My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger

yeah i guess i'll wire up the place and see what happens. although i think this thread would get reaaaallly interesting if it turns out it's someone else like a thief or perv is entering the place lol, i'll let you know what i get, thanks guys.

in the meantime the baseball bat isn't very far from my reach...
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-03-2010 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    09 WRX

I don't understand what the buzzer in your first post has to do with anything.
    The buzzer should be bottom level, but if it's the land lord then why would he need to use the buzzer? He has a key.
    You mentioned that your wife is some times home alone?
    Something smells fishy... and not wild sockeye salmon fishy.

position a ball or something in a special place you can remember by the door before you leave, and if it has moved then someones coming in.

My Ride
    M3

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
    The buzzer should be bottom level, but if it's the land lord then why would he need to use the buzzer? He has a key.
    Are you sure that the wife is'nt letting in someone??maybe.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    has three pedals.

^ lmfao

do you have a hot tub or pool OP?

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by potatopineapple
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...1Lu9uW04lR3xki
    Thats fucking creepy!

Looks like she even smoked up while sitting on the couch!

My Ride
    is Invisible

I think what hes trying to say is that, someone buzzes his apt to see if anyone is gonna pick up. If no1 does then they realize no1 is at home and they can enter the apartment.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Check with your neighbors, it may just be people buzzing all the buttons in the hopes that someone will let them in.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Originally posted by adidas

I think what hes trying to say is that, someone buzzes his apt to see if anyone is gonna pick up. If no1 does then they realize no1 is at home and they can enter the apartment.
    Both situations are logical.

I still think his wife is cheating.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I still think his wife is cheating.
    but OP said while we're out, does he mean when they both go out together or when they are both at work?

either way if you dont have the GBs of HDD space, get a small cam with motion track recording, some of them just notify you via email if it's capturing something, has its own server built in to host the stream i guess. about $200ish tho

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by AudiPWR
    position a ball or something in a special place you can remember by the door before you leave, and if it has moved then someones coming in.
    I have this problem with the guy that owns my building too. I property manage it for him, so he thinks it's ok to go into my place without asking. I set a "tell" for when I'm away; I get a piece of electric tape, about 7" long, stick a penny at a point about 1.5" from an end. I then tape the longer end to the top of the doorframe, and tape the penny end to the door. If someone opens the door, the tape peels away, and the penny will be left hanging after the door is closed again.
    I told buddy if he went into my place without asking again, I'd take $50 off my next rent. He hasn't done it since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast