Quantcast
A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    0

    Default A little creeped out... I think someone is entering my apartment while out

    Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice. Recently, we've been getting visits to our place and it's while we are out. I know this because we have the apartment buzzer that is connected to the phone, so when they press our room number at the entrance it shows up as a call with the time to our land line and the name of the apartment complex.

    What bothers me is that it's ALWAYS while were out and I was thinking that maybe someone (read: our landlords or previous tenants) come by to look at the place while we are out.

    If it is the landlords, is it legal for them to just come by and enter whenever they want? Am I allowed to change the locks if we are just renting the place?

    Any advice or anyone know the law about this?
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-02-2010 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Check your rent agreement to see what it stipulates in regards to inspections and landlord visits and such. But generally speaking landlords have to consult you first, fix a time (usually give a day's notice) and then drop by if they wish to inspect the place or anything like that.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-02-2010 at 11:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I believe you are to be given 24 hours unless it is an emergency.

    Make sure you prove they have been coming in before you accuse them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,339
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I had this problem once before.

    If I recall correctly landlords have to give you 24 hour notice by law. My landlord used to invite him and guests in to view my suite 2 months before I was due to leave, I went and talked to a small time lawyer who ended up getting me out of the lease 2 months early with my damage deposit back, because had the landlord disputed he could have been charged with some sort of law I can't remember the name of lol. I bet he just came and ate my leftovers because food was always missing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by shakalaka
    Check your rent agreement to see what it stipulates in regards to inspections and landlord visits and such. But generally speaking landlords have to consult you first, fix a time (usually give a day's notice) and then drop by if they wish to inspect the place or anything like that.
    yes, our lease agreement does say at least 24 hours notice.


    Originally posted by Kloubek
    I believe you are to be given 24 hours unless it is an emergency.

    Make sure you prove they have been coming in before you accuse them.
    right, im going to set up a camera when were out and see if anything happens. IF by chance it was them, what am I able to do?
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-02-2010 at 11:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by eg_eric


    right, im going to set up a camera when were out and see if anything happens. IF by chance it was them, what am I able to do?
    Well that depends on what you are looking to do. Are you not happy where you are, looking for ways to get our of your rent agreement? This could give you a reason to do that.

    If nothing like that and you're happy where you are just confront your landlord and say that you know they've been entering your place when you're out and you don't appreciate it. Ask them to consult you before in the future.


    EDIT: If you want to stay where you are I would recommend you be polite when you speak to them and make them realize that they are breaching a contract which is illegal. You obviously don't want to get on their bad side if you wish to stay where you are, right.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-02-2010 at 11:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by shakalaka


    Well that depends on what you are looking to do. Are you not happy where you are, looking for ways to get our of your rent agreement? This could give you a reason to do that.

    If nothing like that and you're happy where you are just confront your landlord and say that you know they've been entering your place when you're out and you don't appreciate it. Ask them to consult you before in the future.
    oh no i love the place, it's just that i really wouldn't like anyone just coming in and out of the place (or spying on it) especially when my wife is home alone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    has three pedals.
    Posts
    2,978
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If you have the gigabytes on your computer, wire it up!

    Or leave paper in the jam ... if it's not there before you get back...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    yeah i guess i'll wire up the place and see what happens. although i think this thread would get reaaaallly interesting if it turns out it's someone else like a thief or perv is entering the place lol, i'll let you know what i get, thanks guys.

    in the meantime the baseball bat isn't very far from my reach...
    Last edited by eg_eric; 02-03-2010 at 12:08 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    09 WRX
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't understand what the buzzer in your first post has to do with anything.
    The buzzer should be bottom level, but if it's the land lord then why would he need to use the buzzer? He has a key.
    You mentioned that your wife is some times home alone?
    Something smells fishy... and not wild sockeye salmon fishy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    position a ball or something in a special place you can remember by the door before you leave, and if it has moved then someones coming in.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    M3
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Saab 9-5
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
    I don't understand what the buzzer in your first post has to do with anything.
    The buzzer should be bottom level, but if it's the land lord then why would he need to use the buzzer? He has a key.
    You mentioned that your wife is some times home alone?
    Something smells fishy... and not wild sockeye salmon fishy.
    Are you sure that the wife is'nt letting in someone??maybe.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    has three pedals.
    Posts
    2,978
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ^ lmfao

    do you have a hot tub or pool OP?


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    is Invisible
    Posts
    1,130
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by potatopineapple
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...1Lu9uW04lR3xki
    Thats fucking creepy!

    Looks like she even smoked up while sitting on the couch!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    is Invisible
    Posts
    1,130
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
    I don't understand what the buzzer in your first post has to do with anything.
    The buzzer should be bottom level, but if it's the land lord then why would he need to use the buzzer? He has a key.
    You mentioned that your wife is some times home alone?
    Something smells fishy... and not wild sockeye salmon fishy.
    I think what hes trying to say is that, someone buzzes his apt to see if anyone is gonna pick up. If no1 does then they realize no1 is at home and they can enter the apartment.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,421
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Check with your neighbors, it may just be people buzzing all the buttons in the hopes that someone will let them in.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    09 WRX
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by adidas


    I think what hes trying to say is that, someone buzzes his apt to see if anyone is gonna pick up. If no1 does then they realize no1 is at home and they can enter the apartment.
    Both situations are logical.






















    I still think his wife is cheating.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgar3h
    My Ride
    S14|TB1
    Posts
    4,665
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
    I still think his wife is cheating.
    but OP said while we're out, does he mean when they both go out together or when they are both at work?

    either way if you dont have the GBs of HDD space, get a small cam with motion track recording, some of them just notify you via email if it's capturing something, has its own server built in to host the stream i guess. about $200ish tho

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg
    Posts
    645
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally posted by AudiPWR
    position a ball or something in a special place you can remember by the door before you leave, and if it has moved then someones coming in.
    I have this problem with the guy that owns my building too. I property manage it for him, so he thinks it's ok to go into my place without asking. I set a "tell" for when I'm away; I get a piece of electric tape, about 7" long, stick a penny at a point about 1.5" from an end. I then tape the longer end to the top of the doorframe, and tape the penny end to the door. If someone opens the door, the tape peels away, and the penny will be left hanging after the door is closed again.
    I told buddy if he went into my place without asking again, I'd take $50 off my next rent. He hasn't done it since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
  2. eww, this just creeped the sh*t out of me

    By acura_el in forum General
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2006, 03:43 AM
  3. Entering year 2000

    By szw in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 11-21-2002, 11:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •