Quantcast
Calgary police to crack down on jaywalking Wed morning - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary police to crack down on jaywalking Wed morning

Originally posted by Feruk

Simple, legalize jaywalking. Give cars right of way everywhere except designated crosswalks. A pedestrian can cross anywhere they want, but if they get smoked outside of designated crosswalks, it's their own fault. It would speed up traffic and make pedestrians more careful when jaywalking. Works fantastic in Europe.
    Actually, cars do have the right of way here except in designated crosswalks. This is why pedestrians aren't allowed to just cross wherever they want; it's too unpredictable, both on the part of drivers and pedestrians. Try driving down 17th Ave in front of Melrose or 9 Avenue in front of Roadhouse on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see what I'm talking about.

Again, very few people will accept pedestrian deaths as simply being "their own fault" when something, ie. law enforcement, can be done about it.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by FraserB

Im glad this is your attitude because you will have no issue when I smear you all over the road after you decide to cross in the middle of the block. There has been more that one case when a pedestrian has been killed while jaywalking and there been no charges filed and rightly so.
    Not doing cartwheels in the middle of the road. I'm talking about looking both ways. When actually safe to cross, doing so. Now it would be different when I have starbucks in one hand and am texting with the other, and blindly crossing the street.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

No issues at all.....

New York Post
    That link is total traffic fatalities, inclusive of pedestrians, drivers, bikers, etc. As well, it goes outside of the city into the boroughs. If comparing apples to apples: There were 147 pedestrian deaths in commercial and residential zones. Pedestrian traffic per day is well over 8Million + tourists. In Calgary how many people would you say actually cross the streets a day in downtown? 200,000-300,000 keeping in mind that a huge majority of traffic occurs off the streets in the +15. Over the course of the year, NY will hit over a billion pedestrians...out of which 147 died....doesn't seem that bad. Then again, these numbers are straight out of my ass.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by phil98z24
    Whats your solution?
    Cow catchers and a dose of good ol' natural selection?

Seriously though, the jaywalking here is ridiculous. I rag on Winnipeg for a LOT, but there, if you walk across the street without looking, you are taking your life into your own hands. Calgary, some idiot can start waddling across Centre Street during RUSH HOUR and traffic is expected to stop on a dime, every time or WE get ticketed. No pedestrian crossing lights, nothing. It's insane.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

also ill be first to admit,

i did not know the flashing hand means no more walking...

whenever i see that hand i hurry my ass over. takes me 2 seconds according to the timing on the pole.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

What are the priorities for our traffic unit? I may be going out on a limb here, but I think pedestrians walking across roads is traffic related... and when pedestrians get hit by cars and c-trains because they are walking when they shouldn't be, I think, and again correct me if I'm wrong, our traffic unit should be enforcing the laws to prevent this - kind of in line with our number one common law duty which is to protect life.
    I guess it's because I grew up in a small town that I find jaywalking charges to be such a joke. We're taught to look both ways at the age of 5 and if people are getting hit because they don't know how to look both ways then that's their problem. I don't even know how I could give out a ticket to someone with a straight face. Here's an idea, take away a pedestrians right away on all sections of the road and give it back to the 4000lb automobile and then you'll actually have pedestrians paying attention and not crossing the street when their light is red. Some of you guys need to visit other countries and see how it's done right, as Feruk mentioned they do this in Europe as well as Montreal and it works.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    and traffic is expected to stop on a dime, every time or WE get ticketed.
    Actually this is wrong. I was told that if you stop for someone to Jwalk you can get a ticket for obstruction of traffic.

( granted if the person is already out then well I dunno. lol)

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I guess it's because I grew up in a small town that I find jaywalking charges to be such a joke. We're taught to look both ways at the age of 5 and if people are getting hit because they don't know how to look both ways then that's their problem. I don't even know how I could give out a ticket to someone with a straight face. Here's an idea, take away a pedestrians right away on all sections of the road and give it back to the 4000lb automobile and then you'll actually have pedestrians paying attention and not crossing the street when their light is red. Some of you guys need to visit other countries and see how it's done right, as Feruk mentioned they do this in Europe as well as Montreal and it works.
    I find that CPS and security guards have everything in common except CPS carries guns + 10X ego. Most of the day is unsupervised so might as well do w.e. to account for. If you actually lived in a proper big city, you'll know no cop would want to clog the system with stupid jaywalking or headlight tickets just to kill some time. I think Calgary has way too many cops (useless) than what actually is happening in the city. Go to Van/T.O. or Europe and you'll see how often you see cops being cash collectors vs actually doing some work.

Actually, cars do have the right of way here except in designated crosswalks. This is why pedestrians aren't allowed to just cross wherever they want; it's too unpredictable, both on the part of drivers and pedestrians. Try driving down 17th Ave in front of Melrose or 9 Avenue in front of Roadhouse on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see what I'm talking about.

Again, very few people will accept pedestrian deaths as simply being "their own fault" when something, ie. law enforcement, can be done about it.

I'm not sure if this is your area of expertise or not... but as someone pointed out in the area of somerset (Ctrain) how bad the J-walkers are... what happens to the driver if they happen to hit a teen sprinting across the street with no regard to himself outside of the designated crosswalk zone??

Originally posted by Altezza
    Is it still $25?? I got a jaywalking fine 12 years ago, and it was $25.
    Seems low to me... it's $250 in Edmonton.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

We're essentially talking about 2 different types of vehicle-pedestrian incidents as a result of jaywalking.

1) Ignorant/distracted/unattentive pedestrian. Something that just about everyone has been guilty of at one point another. Avoidable on the pedestrians part if they would've been paying attention. Really difficult for the driver to avoid. This, I believe, is the focus of crackdown. Giving out warnings and issuing tickets as a way of telling people that, at the very least, they should be looking for traffic when they're crossing the street.

2) Ignorant/distracted/unattentive/reckless driver. Again, something we've all been guilty of at one point or another. Avoidable by the pedestrian (hopefully), and definitely avoidable by the driver.

I think the message that they should be advocating is safety and convenience. To pedestrians; Yeah, you might have right of way because your hoofing it, but if you get in a fight with a car, you will lose. It's pretty inconvenient. There's police reports, insurance people, and family members you have to call that night. The months of physio and medications you'll probably have to take. Not to mention that unfortunate possibility of death.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I'm from a big city and I think this "crackdown on jay-walkers" is a total joke. This province is the biggest money pit.
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

My Ride
    Hondas

The only "crackdown" should be their skull on my windshield.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    Cow catchers and a dose of good ol' natural selection?

Seriously though, the jaywalking here is ridiculous. I rag on Winnipeg for a LOT, but there, if you walk across the street without looking, you are taking your life into your own hands. Calgary, some idiot can start waddling across Centre Street during RUSH HOUR and traffic is expected to stop on a dime, every time or WE get ticketed. No pedestrian crossing lights, nothing. It's insane.
    Id say as long as you can say you had no choice but to hit them you will be fine. I am not going to lock my brakes during rush hour or swerve into the next lane or into the sidewalk or onto a median to avoid a collision. Its about determining what course of action will keep you safe first and then the other people around you.
    Last edited by FraserB; 02-03-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Fair enough. I can understand that point of view. As I said in another post, vehicles do have the right of way - not pedestrians. That is a very common misconception to think it's the other way, and I wish people would stop thinking that because then I think we wouldn't have this problem. It's frustrating and causes alot of grief for the motoring public.

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Originally posted by ragu

I find that CPS and security guards have everything in common except CPS carries guns + 10X ego. Most of the day is unsupervised so might as well do w.e. to account for. If you actually lived in a proper big city, you'll know no cop would want to clog the system with stupid jaywalking or headlight tickets just to kill some time. I think Calgary has way too many cops (useless) than what actually is happening in the city. Go to Van/T.O. or Europe and you'll see how often you see cops being cash collectors vs actually doing some work.

We have a traffic unit that does this type of thing, not patrol officers. As I said in my first post, this is a traffic related problem therefore the traffic guys deal with it. Again, people are hurt (quite often, but it doesn't make the news) and die (which does), and it's the job of the police to protect life. Just because you don't hear about the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist, have you considered that? Pedestrians get schmucked everyday, but it's not high profile therefore you don't think it's happening.

This has nothing to do with killing time, Christ... this is what traffic members do, nothing else. There are more than enough of us patrol members to take care of the other stuff, thank you.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by GQBalla

serious?

you actually hit people?

i think the issue is partly to blame on you not paying attention either.

thats like goin through a playground zone even though your goin 30 km/h and you hit a kid running across the st.

the kid jay walked still but you still hit the kid
    NOOOO omg...

I DO NOT hit people. I've never hit, nor tried to hit anyone with a vehicle...

I'm just saying. I'm a concultant so I'm always out and about. It's nuts how many people jump infront of my vehicle on a daily basis because they are in a hurry.

I always stop for the idiots, let them go. I don't even honk as it's pointless because they wouldn't know what they are doing wrong.

You have no idea how many times a day I go to turn when a light goes yellow, but pedestrians waiting for the green light after already enter the intersection because they think there are no cars coming...
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Last year I hit a teen.It was dark and raining.He was wearing dark clothes and ran across the street as I was making a left turn with an advance green.I jammed on the brakes ,but still knocked him over.The car behind me had to swerve out of the way.Another driver called the cops after I pulled over to check on him.A pedestrian witness waiting to cross the street backed me up.The officer asked if I wanted to charge him.He hit the pavement pretty hard,so I said no. Hopefully the idiot learned his lesson.I'm all for a jaywalking crackdown.
    Last edited by fast95pony; 02-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by fast95pony
    Last year I hit a teen.It was dark and raining.He was wearing dark clothes and ran across the street as I was making a left turn with an advance green.I jammed on the brakes ,but still knocked him over.The car behind me had to swerve out of the way.Another driver called the cops after I pulled over to check on him.A pedestrian witness waiting to cross the street backed me up.The officer asked if I wanted to charge him.He hit the pavement pretty hard,so I said no. Hopefully the idiot learned his lesson.I'm all for a jaywalking crackdown.
    THIS. How idiodic does one have to be to not know that he will not win against a car if he chooses to cross whenever.
    And like I said before, VERY sympathetic you had to be traumatized by that.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by fast95pony
    This is just like those people that don't pay attention and walk out into a crosswalk when they don't have a crossing light.

Once I saw some fat chick just get fucking WASTED by some younger girl talking on her phone.

It was pretty sad, the pedestrian actually had the right-of-way and wasn't jaywalking, but had their ipod on and had a hoody on..

I know that the driver should have been paying attention... But like wtf? I value my life, I look around at every crosswalk I cross at.

I donno if it's just because I used to live in Vancouver that I do this. But hey, I've never been hit, I've never been honked at, never had anyone drive fast at me to piss me off...

I felt really bad for the driver who hit the fatty. Her car had quite a bit of damage to the front. I called the cops.. The drivers stopped and got out... The driver was crying like CRAZY....

BUTTTTT Another story...

In ogden the other day... On some busy road. another fat chick decides to run across the road. There was plenty of room between me and her, but I still had to slam on the breaks just because I didn't want a close call HOWEVER, some old guy coming towards me almost fucking clipped her leg... Like it was in SLOOWWWW motion... I'm actually surprised she didn't get pegged. She should have, she's soo lucky.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast