Quantcast
Fact Or Fiction - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fact Or Fiction

My Ride
    2010 Pontiac G3 GT Coupe 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (DD)

Question Fact Or Fiction

k well i read this one the net someweres but i forgot. But any how i was wondering if this was ture or not. K say 2 fully suped up 96 neons each with a tottal HP of 479. I was informed the automatic neon would be able to beat the standard neon can some one fill me on this i was a little lost when i herd this

It is frustratingly reliable, truly the cockroach of automobiles.

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

A good automatic that is built for racing will beat a standard. No person could possibly shift as fast as an auto that is built for high performance. THe new Mercedes in my opinion would be slower with a manual than with the auto they have. Those things shift fast and really hard.

Also if you have a turbo and an auto all you do is floor it and once the turbo spools it stays spooled. Not sure if this is right but i have heard this many times before.

My Ride

lol i think i gotta research into a neon cheap, and parts come a dime a dozen lol

My Ride

hmmmmmm......see thinking of supeing up a 96 auto is funny enough but the neon has a cool body kit its called "bilts" thats the name of the kit its the same as the one on the eclips of fnf1

hehe but now if somebody lost to a 96 neon thats even funnier

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

You can't shift faster than the computer....

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
    hmmmmmm......see thinking of supeing up a 96 auto is funny enough but the neon has a cool body kit its called "bilts" thats the name of the kit its the same as the one on the eclips of fnf1

hehe but now if somebody lost to a 96 neon thats even funnier
    untill you turbo it the auto neon is JUNK! it's slow as hell...most people when they start building a neon swap the tranny out and put a manual so they can actually see some gains from their bolt ons...oh and the bodykit is actually called Blitz and it's made really poorly...i have the back bumper from that kit and it's horrible
    Last edited by rice_eater; 11-29-2003 at 02:17 PM.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Originally posted by illeagle
    You can't shift faster than the computer....
    but the computer doesn't always shift at the right time

My Ride
    pedals

in general, in a budget car or non competition car, then auto is slower. (merc. excluded)

My Ride

hmmmm....k cause i'm at a cross roads i dunno what to do stay auto or throw a standard tranny in it. cause if i go auto i could install a tourque converter and i might get some resluts outta that

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

If you're going for straight line, stick with the auto. It will be way more consistent at the strip after you add a stall converter, and even before. Doesn't get any easier than just standing on it the whole way down the strip. If you're doing anything else you're probably much better off with a stick unless you can get the tranny setup to shift fast, crisp and exactly where you want it to. Nothing will kill your fun like being stuck between gears with the tranny hunting to find the right one during a solo 2 or other similar rampage through twisties.
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 11-30-2003 at 10:49 PM.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride

k cause i was offered a free 96 dodge neon auto but i need to find a standard tranny and some cash to get all the work done to it

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

take the car if it's free...

My Ride

cause i'm pretty sure i could find a tranny at a local pick ur part but i would'nt know the first thing about removing it/installing it lol

and that blitz body kit then is a no no i take it? It looks like a nice kit i might jus pick up the front bumper peicec it looks nice.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

to swap the tranny itself out doesn't take much time at all...very easy actually...you raise car, disconect the driver side motor mount, remove handfull of screws connecting bellhousing to block and you're done...and the rest isn't THAT hard either... as for the kit i'm gonna suggest you pass on that one...either get a urethane one like xenon or wings west or ANYTHING other than that blitz IMITATION...it rattles and is a piece of shit

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

So much ATX hate heh

If your going for all drag - body kits are heavy

I'm with 4wheeldrift. If your looking for consistant straightline speed the Auto is the choice

But, go with one step at a time and I would pay more attention to the engine in making it reliable to handle the abuse and then look at how to provide that power to the ground.

I disagree with Rice_eater. The 3 Speed Auto for the neon has been proven on the dragstrip for reliablity (well before too much boost kills it). The auto tranny heritage is from the OMNI Turbo.

Don't forget about gearing the 3 speed auto tranny is much better suited for the 1320. It just depends what your goals are.