Quantcast
Police shot driver in self-defence - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Police shot driver in self-defence

Originally posted by tobslau
    ^ +1

I highly doubt that cops will ever shoot to kill, usually they just shoot in self defence and by some chance the person is killed.
    What he meant is that they do not shoot to injure. Sure, they shoot for body mass, but they dont try to hit the less vital areas such as the stomach or shoulders. They shoot for the vitals such as the heart or lungs to make sure that they drop their man.

Dayglow? Philz?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'm going to back peddle a bit.... The police shoot to bring down a threat (eg. person coming at you with a knife) at the centre of mass, but the heart/lungs also are in the same area which normally cause a fatal injury.

Less chance of stray bullets as well this way (instead of aiming for the head for eg.).
    Last edited by revelations; 02-09-2010 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by beyond_ban

What he meant is that they do not shoot to injure. Sure, they shoot for body mass, but they dont try to hit the less vital areas such as the stomach or shoulders. They shoot for the vitals such as the heart or lungs to make sure that they drop their man.

Dayglow? Philz?
    It's very very rare that an officer has to draw his gun and although they have experience on a firing range nothing prepares you for shooting a live moving target under a stressful situation. They basically shoot for wherever they can and I can't imagine any of them would ever want to actually kill someone unless of course it meant life or death for them.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I would have gone for the non-responsive zone, and painted the interior with this fellows brain matter. /armchair cop

Even at the range there's a bit of stress while practicing this type of thing, and from what I hear, no it's not even remotely as close to drawing down on a live target.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

I have a fairly decent shot from 50 yards, as i have shot my fair share of guns ( gotta love family from the eastern states), but i could not imagine how much harder it would be to aim in real life situations. Not only is there the stress of the dangerous situation at hand, but then there are so many variables such as innocent civilians and the such. Does anyone have any kind of link to a study showing the differences between range and real time firing scenarios?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

This time I will not wear the police hater shirt:

I think the cops were justified in shooting this kid from the way the article makes it sound.

I will try a different angle:

Too bad normal people aren't justified in protecting their own lives like police are...
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It's very very rare that an officer has to draw his gun and although they have experience on a firing range nothing prepares you for shooting a live moving target under a stressful situation. They basically shoot for wherever they can and I can't imagine any of them would ever want to actually kill someone unless of course it meant life or death for them.
    exactly what i was going to say, they shoot to HIT
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Originally posted by chkolny541

exactly what i was going to say, they shoot to INCAPACITATE
    fixed.

Originally posted by IRL
    Originally posted by chkolny541

exactly what i was going to say, they shoot to DECAPITATE

fixed.
    FIXED (?)

We are trained to shoot to stop the threat. Now the very nature of the threat is life threatening, so it needs to be stopped immediately. The most effective way to stop it quickly is to shut down the cardiovascular or nervous system. The side effect of this unfortunately usually means death. Death isn't the goal, but a likely outcome because of the nature of the trauma inflicted.

The idea of center mass means the largest target area available at the time. Usually means the torso, which also is tightly packed with organs. Damage to the organs means that the body shuts down faster, which is the goal. At the same time center mass could be anything. It was last year that the aggressor was fighting a cop hand to hand with a knife. His partner shot him in the leg because that was the largest clear target he had. That was 'center mass' for that incident.

As for effective shots on a car, as someone else stated, hollow point bullets do not react well to paneling, windshields, etc. Also the human head itself with it's curved skull will more often than not deflect rounds. Simply put handguns are defensive weapons, not offensive.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    Jetta 1.8t

Good job to the cops.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Totally justifiable if it's legit. What I don't understand is this whole revving the engine part. Did the suspect drop the car into neutral, rev the engine, then put it back into drive? The whole revving the engine sounds a bit melodramatic.
    It says "revved the engine and accelerated", "revved the engine, and then began to accelerate".

A bit unclear obviously, but I took it to mean he was accelerating as fast as he could (as evidenced by the revving) rather than slowly or even briskly accelerating.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by szw

It says "revved the engine and accelerated", "revved the engine, and then began to accelerate".

A bit unclear obviously, but I took it to mean he was accelerating as fast as he could (as evidenced by the revving) rather than slowly or even briskly accelerating.
    he shoulda watched his rpm, coulda saved his life

Originally posted by dandia89

he shoulda watched his rpm, coulda saved his life
    First of all, he didn't die so there would have been no "life saving." Secondly, that wasn't funny if that's what you were going for.

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

what shocks me the most is that this happened in such a nice neighbourhood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2