Quantcast
monitored home alarm - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: monitored home alarm

Default monitored home alarm

Im looking for some feedback on who other Calgarians are using for a monitored home alarm sytem?

We had ADT in our place. Weve had some recent renos that have changed some of the entrances and windows so we'd need to get some updated sensors installed anyways so Im looking to see if it would be worth while going elsewhere.

-What company does your monitoring?
    -Who did your install? Did you have someone like an ADT reseller do your install?
    -Does anyone have wireless monitoring? We will have no landline so we need wireless monitoring. It is my understanding a GSM machine costs about $250 and then adds about $10 a month to the monitoring cost.
    -Any other things to consider?

My Ride
    Vmax

I just did the same thing. Moved from ADT to United Alarm after developing the basement.

They were able to get into the ADT system,something others said they could not do.

The installer they sent over does installs for ADT and he knew what he was doing.

They are less money for monitoring than ADT.

PM if you want my the sales guys number.

They can do wireless but mine is all wired.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.

My Ride
    Busa

Default Re: monitored home alarm

Originally posted by urban.one
    Im looking for some feedback on who other Calgarians are using for a monitored home alarm sytem?

We had ADT in our place. Weve had some recent renos that have changed some of the entrances and windows so we'd need to get some updated sensors installed anyways so Im looking to see if it would be worth while going elsewhere.

-What company does your monitoring?
    -Who did your install? Did you have someone like an ADT reseller do your install?
    -Does anyone have wireless monitoring? We will have no landline so we need wireless monitoring. It is my understanding a GSM machine costs about $250 and then adds about $10 a month to the monitoring cost.
    -Any other things to consider?
    I have wireless monitoring through ADT. After negotiating with the sales guy they covered the cost of the wireless unit ($250) when I signed. The monthly cost is sub $10 for the GSM service. I like the added peace of mind that you get with wireless monitoring. I know a few friends who had businesses broken into and their phone lines were cut beforehand. The cost is justified by the savings associated with using a VoIP provider (or no home phone at all). Currently I pay $1.50/month for phone service through my VoIP system. Shaw is $30/month to start, and Telus is $26/month.

I am an installer in Calgary. You can PM me if you would like some detailed information.

Most security companies can offer cellular monitoring. Several are also able to offer Internet monitoring. Costs vary depending on company, equipment, and type of monitoring.

If you are currently with ADT, then there is a really good chance you could do as UndergroundRider suggested and ask them to include the GSM unit for no cost if you agree to sign with them again.

Otherwise, it is also a good idea to call around to several different companies to get estimates.
    Last edited by WildWolf; 02-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.

pmed wildwolf and autosm for info.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I've got ADT as well with their GSM wireless unit also. Instead of calling their 1-800 number and getting some tool in the US, you can call their local number and be set up with a local rep. All in, my monitoring works out to be about $40/mo with cellular back-up, Carbon monoxide, fire and burglary.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

I just signed up for ADT, I have a 10 day cooling off period so it gives me time to think about the contract before committing for 3 years. It also gives me time to ask for advice

I possess existing hardware (used to have Stealth security system), so ADT is only going to provide the keypad and a new control box. Other than that they are going to have to relocate/hook up existing glass break, window/door sensors etc.

$100 set up fee, $30/mnth (or $38.00/mnth if you use their guard service = 6 free false alarms/year)

does anyone know if this is a fair deal?

thanks in advance,

We had an existing system in place and had Voxcom/Reliance protectron come in and upgrade our system. They sent out a local reseller FrontLine Security and they were pretty good.

Instead of wireless monitoring, I just called up shaw and got a digital phone line. Normal cost is 20 per month, but they gave us a promo of 15 per month for the first year. At least this gives us access to a landline if we need to make calls or send/receive faxes.

Since we had an existing system, they waived any sort of install fee. We received 2 new keypads, a new control box, and 1 free motion sensor to use along with our existing sensors. I also paid extra to install the fire and flood sensors.

I booked an appt and they came out 4 days later and finished the install in about 3-4 hours. Monthly cost is $30.95, but I added the guard service for an extra $5. Bringing the total to $36.95. I am not sure if all other companies are the same or not, but I'm told our system is guaranteed for parts/labor...etc with a lifetime warranty.