Quantcast
selling cars? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: selling cars?

My Ride
    1990 240sx

Default selling cars?

does any one know how many cars you can sell per year with out a dealer licence? getting fined or charged would most likley ruin my day.

3 or 4 i cant remember exactly which one

My Ride
    DA6, R59

4 I believe if your amvic liscenced and 6 if your not

if you buy and sell a car to make financial gain then your a dealer

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by chris746
    if you buy and sell a car to make financial gain then your a dealer
    ...over 3 or 4 a year... then you are

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

i heard 10...

My Ride
    Blue boy

A guy who used to do bodywork for me called me up crying 1 day, AMVIC came after him. They had a list of every single car (30 something) he sold in the previous 2 years and to whom he sold them. Seems like that's all AMVIC is good at, going after the small time guys.

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    A guy who used to do bodywork for me called me up crying 1 day, AMVIC came after him. They had a list of every single car (30 something) he sold in the previous 2 years and to whom he sold them. Seems like that's all AMVIC is good at, going after the small time guys.
    What was the punishment?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by beyond_ban

What was the punishment?
    he said they were going to charge him $25 000 I believe, but then he said they were going to court. Didnt hear from him about it after that.

Originally posted by G-ZUS

he said they were going to charge him $25 000 I believe, but then he said they were going to court. Didnt hear from him about it after that.
    OUCH! When it goes to court, no one wins. Lawyer's and all that other BS are a pretty penny too.

My Ride
    fast and red.

AMVIC is pretty great at blowing its own horn, I'm sure if they'd managed to charge and successfully fine somebody for $25K, they'd make a big flashy announcement about it.

AMVIC has very limited ability to go after non-dealers, except for not having a valid license. Their most common activities seem to involve going after small players for small items.

Over the years I've heard various different stories about what constitutes a non-permitted number of vehicles sold, but it's pretty hard nowadays to find somebody who's selling too many cars, unless there are complaints levied by neighbours or dissatisfied customers. Kijiji and other online sales outlets, plus the wide availability of cheap cell phones, makes it pretty tough to figure out how many vehicles somebody is selling. There's no title system here to track ownership.

I figure if you're not pissing your neighbours off, and not ripping buyers off, you'll never have a problem.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by canuckcarguy

I figure if you're not pissing your neighbours off, and not ripping buyers off, you'll never have a problem.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
    AMVIC is pretty great at blowing its own horn, I'm sure if they'd managed to charge and successfully fine somebody for $25K, they'd make a big flashy announcement about it.

AMVIC has very limited ability to go after non-dealers, except for not having a valid license. Their most common activities seem to involve going after small players for small items.

Over the years I've heard various different stories about what constitutes a non-permitted number of vehicles sold, but it's pretty hard nowadays to find somebody who's selling too many cars, unless there are complaints levied by neighbours or dissatisfied customers. Kijiji and other online sales outlets, plus the wide availability of cheap cell phones, makes it pretty tough to figure out how many vehicles somebody is selling. There's no title system here to track ownership.

Whenever you buy a car and go to register it, the registry office photocopies your bill of sale then sends it off to god knows where. That is probably how they bust people when they get soo many bill of sales with 1 guys name on it. Speaking of AMVIC they are good for nothing. I bought a used car a couple years ago that was rolled back (from a dealer)(had 272 k in 2002 and showed 234 in 07). I called AMVIC and they told me to take a hike prety much.
    Last edited by G-ZUS; 02-10-2010 at 10:17 PM.

My Ride
    1990 240sx

[i]Originally posted by canuckcarguy

I figure if you're not pissing your neighbours off, and not ripping buyers off, you'll never have a problem. [/B]
    i fix all of my neighbours cars, so that wont be a problem. i dont just flip cars, i actually do a shit tone of work to them. usally it stars with me buying a car off a customer that they dont want to fix for like $200. i do all that it needs and so the car needs nothing and sell it for the appropriate price. i do it when ever its worth my wile. like maby a car or two per year. alot of the other techs i work with pull in like 5g's a month from sidie jobs, thats just retarted, its only a matter of time. i just dont want to get in shit if i sell like 5 cars and get hit with 250000. most of amvic it retarted, its got some good things but mostly retared.

My Ride
    //M

I sold went through 4 cars one year no problems haha but now that I'm OMVIC licensed, its less I believe.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

someone told me you would be considered a dealer if you are "selling actively" ( have 3-4 cars posted for sale at the same time)