Quantcast
Tall guy has to compromise on car - what's most important? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tall guy has to compromise on car - what's most important?

Unhappy Tall guy has to compromise on car - what's most important?

Hey guys

Sorry for the length of the post, first off. Sometimes I find by the time I'm done writing a "please advise" post like this one, I've found the answer on my own. So I like to get all my thoughts down and organized inside it.

Here's my situation. My current (first) car is starting to get on her last legs, and I'm looking to the future. But the future is kinda bleak. Mostly because I'm 6'4", and all legs and arms.

Current ride is a '99 Subaru Impreza Brighton (2.2L). Previous owner installed some stiff-as-a-board suspension (KYB AGX shocks, I think? Bright red under all the dirt), and opted for the short throw transmission. Didn't bother with a tachometer, but that hasn't been too much of a problem. So what I ride around in now is a fun, if not peppy, AWD compact car. With pretty much no features (manual locks, manual windows, no vanity mirrors, no tach, manual seats) While driving I just fit in her. Left arm is bent and rests on the door, right arm is bent and rests on the centre console. Both legs bend out around the steering wheel, but it works and I can go a couple hours in her without going insane. However, between the damage I did to the clutch/tranny learning standard in her, the CEL for the evaporative emissions control system and the rust monster at the back end, her days are numbered.

I should clarify the reason I've loved this car. I live in Ottawa, and with a good set of winter tires (learned that lesson early!) that car and I haven't met weather we've said no to. We've said yes to a snowbank or two, but only been stuck once. I've even made it a bit of a tradition to take my hometown (out in the woods) sideways the night before the winter tires go on. I've loved having a "winter car".

So looking to the future, I started prowling for my next ride. I was looking for R/AWD, better fuel economy (not hard! I believe the category is labelled "things that aren't a school bus, or your current car"), compact or at most midsize, not loaded down with features (aka expensive things that break after a decade anyways), anything but automatic (manual, CVT, dual-clutch monsters, etc) So I started to look around for cars that would fit the bill, like the:

Mazda RX-8: Was pinned beneath steering wheel, can't drive.
    Hyundai Genesis Coupe: Couldn't get foot onto brake pedal, can't drive.
    Subaru Impreza: Still fit, mostly. Could drive.

Everything else RWD/AWD is way out of my price/feature bracket (Audis or BMWs or Infinitis etc.)

So today, on a whim, I checked out Volkswagen at the recommendation of a friend. Sat down in a Golf. You know those commercials, where suddenly a chorus of angels bursts out of the clouds to announce some revelation? That's what I had, because I actually fit in the damn car. I mean, honestly fit. As in:
    I could stretch my neck all the way up without hitting the ceiling
    The headrest was actually behind my skull, not my neck
    My arms were straight out to grab the steering wheel
    My knees could swing back and forth with no fear of the steering wheel
    The steering wheel wasn't in my lap
    I could look through the windshield, not the sun visor, at my full height

The very notion filled me with delight! The more I looked, the better it seemed. Fuel economy that's better than my motorcycle's, and an (optional) turbo diesel. I'm a bit of an engine nut - I love all the wonky and wonderful ways you can assemble an engine that aren't just gasoline Vs. So a turbocharged diesel seemed even cooler than my current horizontally opposed 4. Come to think of it, the Wankel was pretty much the whole attraction of the RX-8.

So I was all set to love a Golf to death, but then .... I realized it was FWD.

I've seen the light, and realized I can fit into a reasonably sized vehicle. But that means sacrificing the winter competence I've come to expect from my trusty(ish) steed. Or does it?

It's obvious I'll never find "exactly" what I want in a car - it just isn't made. So I've got to prioritize my needs, and compromise. But am I focusing way too much on the AWD - would it really be so bad in a FWD car? I know the FWDs are most of the market - but most of the market doesn't care about what/how they drive, they care about how they're pampered while they're driving.

So the big question: I know what I have to gain (no more neck cramps after a long drive, oh joyous day!) going FWD, but what would I really be losing?

My Ride
    08 X5

Have you considered an SUV? Get the space as well as the AWD.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Tall guy has to compromise on car - what's most important?

Originally posted by woogs

So the big question: I know what I have to gain (no more neck cramps after a long drive, oh joyous day!) going FWD, but what would I really be losing?
    If you REALLY want it all, you can look at getting a VW R32 from the U.S. (Golf, but with AWD), or find a used Audi A3 (Golf, but AWD, and nicer interior. I know my friends buy out is $22g, on his lease, so used, you're looking at $25g-$27g from a dealership)

If you don't want those, Get a GTI, and you'll be happy. RWD is F*U*N, AWD is a blast, but fwd can still be very satisfying in the right car.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Jynx
    Have you considered an SUV? Get the space as well as the AWD.
    My first summer on my own wheels was spent on a motorcycle. I've had more close calls with SUV drivers than I care to count. Despite my size, I'm trying to keep my car "down low and in the know" instead of "up high, head in the sky" Hence, looking for compact to midsize cars.

Also, my parking is bad enough in my compact, I don't need to supersize my difficulties -

Default Re: Re: Tall guy has to compromise on car - what's most important?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If you REALLY want it all, you can look at getting a VW R32 from the U.S. (Golf, but with AWD), or find a used Audi A3 (Golf, but AWD, and nicer interior. I know my friends buy out is $22g, on his lease, so used, you're looking at $25g-$27g from a dealership)

If you don't want those, Get a GTI, and you'll be happy. RWD is F*U*N, AWD is a blast, but fwd can still be very satisfying in the right car.
    Now an AWD Golf? That sounds like the best deal I could ask for! Thnaks for pointing that out to me, I'd be willing to do the import process to get my hands on one of those.

When I was looking on the Audi site, it seemed like only some of the Audi A3s were AWD (Quattro), with the rest being FF. It seems worth a careful look for an A3 - an earlier model probably won't be loaded up with expensive-to-own farkle. I'll have to throw on a nice shirt and sneak a sit down in the stealership first though, to make sure of sizing issues.

6' 5" here, and im comfy as hell in my 01 civic coupe
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I hear ya. I am 6'4 and I had to basically say no to Subaru products I just cannot fit and drive comfortably.

Your story is funny on the Golf I had the same thing happen. I could actually put the seat all the way back and had to adjust the seat Forward! (*surprising on a small economy car)

BTW The wifey has an 06 Civic (*no sunroof) and and the fit is no problem.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

I'm 6' 7" so I get that... I've owned a few beaters (AMC, Ford, Hyundai, Chev, VW) the VW was the best till now. I currently own a GMC canyon ext cab and it has more room then a VW.

It has 4 wheel drive a 4 cylinder motor and you can get 2 adult passengers in it with ease and has a bit of a tow/haul ability. You can get into a 2007 for around 16-18k.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I've had 14 cars in the last 12 years. Basically VW Rabbit/GTI and Subaru WRX have had the most head/legroom by far.
    You should test drive the GTI. Even though it's FWD it's actually more fun to drive than the WRX.

Originally posted by chkolny541
    6' 5" here, and im comfy as hell in my 01 civic coupe
    Huh. Only time I sat in a Civic was in the passenger's seat, and that was a full on "airbag is going to take out my kneecaps" clown car experience. I've had that one written off for years, but now I'll take another look.

Originally posted by Aleks
    I've had 14 cars in the last 12 years. Basically VW Rabbit/GTI and Subaru WRX have had the most head/legroom by far.
    You should test drive the GTI. Even though it's FWD it's actually more fun to drive than the WRX.
    Yeah, I'll definitely take a closer look at the whole Golf range. To be honest though, the TDI Golf has me more excited than the GTI. Like I said before, "alternative" engine fan. I'd probably feel better about putting some money into the suspension of a TDI than getting the GTI, even if the diesel is slower off the line. I can get my acceleration fix on the motorcycle - with the car, I like going around corners or playing in the snow.

Although, the "City Golf" even has me intrigued because of its complete lack of kit. I could be a very happy man, taking one of those and putting some money into suspension/engine and leaving all the farkle by the wayside.

Originally posted by gvince4
    I'm 6' 7" so I get that... I've owned a few beaters (AMC, Ford, Hyundai, Chev, VW) the VW was the best till now. I currently own a GMC canyon ext cab and it has more room then a VW.

It has 4 wheel drive a 4 cylinder motor and you can get 2 adult passengers in it with ease and has a bit of a tow/haul ability. You can get into a 2007 for around 16-18k.
    I was looking at trucks for a while earlier this year (some crazy plan involving hauling motorcycles to California), but I'd hate to own a truck in the city just for the leg room. I'm from a small town, so it still strikes me as odd to see shiny, spotless, top-of-the-line F150s driving between the grocery store and the suburbs. Also: parking. I don't need to compound my issues there.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Bear in mind that not every A3 is AWD, some are front wheel drive. Also you may not fit as well into the A3 as you do into the Golf. Even an A4 may not offer as much headroom as a Golf, you'll need to go try them out.

Those Golfs are extremely 'large' on the inside for a small car. I love 'em. Almost bought a GTI last year.

Originally posted by Wrinkly
    Bear in mind that not every A3 is AWD, some are front wheel drive. Also you may not fit as well into the A3 as you do into the Golf. Even an A4 may not offer as much headroom as a Golf, you'll need to go try them out.

Those Golfs are extremely 'large' on the inside for a small car. I love 'em. Almost bought a GTI last year.
    Yeah, that's what I noticed about the A3 on the website, only a few 'flavours' are Quattro. I think I'd almost rather have the Golf than the A3 though, because I don't really appreciate cars that are loaded up with power everything.

Honestly, beyond the fit/seat comfort, the things I care about having in a car are:
    Air conditioning and cruise control

Everything else (to my mind) is at best expensive and failure prone, and at worst a distraction.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Maybe the golf is for you then? Such good value for money - I don't know what the maintenance costs are like on them, but the Audi's can be a money pit if you can't DIY, which is something else to consider (I just got a quote for a timing belt job at the dealer of $1,400. Think I'll have to tackle it myself).

A good set of winter tires on a golf and you'll be fine in the winter if that's a concern.

Originally posted by Wrinkly
    Maybe the golf is for you then? Such good value for money - I don't know what the maintenance costs are like on them, but the Audi's can be a money pit if you can't DIY, which is something else to consider (I just got a quote for a timing belt job at the dealer of $1,400. Think I'll have to tackle it myself).

A good set of winter tires on a golf and you'll be fine in the winter if that's a concern.
    Stuck in an apartment, despite my budding mechanical tendencies, I have nowhere to do the work. Drives me right up the wall as far as the motorcycle is concerned (I have to borrow a driveway just for an oil change)

That is one last thing to look into for a Golf - how many local mechanics there are available, beyond the dealership I buy from. It'd stink to be totally at the mercy of the dealership (once whatever warranty I have is up).

Yeah, two big thumbs up for splurging on the winters. When I first got my Subie, she came with some pretty much bare all-seasons. I bought her after the first snowfall to stay on the ground forced me off the bike (11th of Nov, as I recall ...) So there were several days there of coming to a stop at about 30 degrees off parallel before I could get winters on her. Got some interesting looks from other drivers as I would coast, askew, slowly to a stop. "Hey guys, don't mind me, I'll stop eventually ..."

Yeah, things really do look up for the Golf. All I have to decide now is do I get:
    The City Golf, which is frugal and farkleless, but underpowered?
    The TDI Golf, which is reasonably equipped, but not terribly fast?
    The GTI, which is loaded with farkle and flash, but apparently a blast to drive?
    Or some flavour of used Golf?

I wonder how many Golf testdrives I can get out of a single dealership before they throw me out

My Ride
    Stuff

Nevermind, didn't read initial post well enough.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Did these cars have sunroofs? Look into an option to see if you can delete the sunroof, and go with manual seats instead of power.

On certain cars this can add up to 5-6 inches of headroom.....

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I know you said you don't want something with expensive things that may break down. I get that.

But when I heard you mentioned the Golf, but it didn't have AWD, it got me thinking... what about an Audi TT? It is, after all, based on the Golf...

I just picked one up myself. And yes, it is a little feminine. Black out the rear lights, slap on some nice rims and it is at least a little better. These things have TONS of headroom. I'm 6'0, and I still have at least half a foot above me, if not more.

They are quick, AWD, and 6 spd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast