Quantcast
Technologist Advice... Any ASET Guys or other Engineering Types - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Technologist Advice... Any ASET Guys or other Engineering Types

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Question Technologist Advice... Any ASET Guys or other Engineering Types

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here in terms of growth for my education and career and I'm hoping someone with a bit more real life experience and wisdom can give me their opinions. I know this is very similar to a few other threads out there right now like the "UofC or SAIT" thread but I'd like to keep it separate if the mods dont mind. I'll try to keep it concise. All opinions and advice are appreciated.

Education Backstory in point form:

-Partially completed Electronics Engineering Technology @ DeVry couple years back (just under halfway through. first stint was on full scholarship so pretty much a free ride hence why i took it fresh out of highschool)
    - after leaving DeVry EET incomplete I went on to dick around a bit; finding myself. A couples years later eventually enrolled and completed 2 year Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma at SAIT (it was a great experience and landed a good job before graduating starting over $50K not bad for an MET diploma) i was lucky

Quick Backstory on me:

I've always had an interest in electronics and robotics, however when I was taking the EET program at DeVry I was too young and didnt have my head in the right place to continue with my education at that point; among other unfortunate personal events all happening around that time. Enrolling in SAIT's MET program years later was really a step to see if my brain was still alive after dicking about for a couple years. And seeing as it was a 2 year diploma I figured I could stomach that rather than go head first back into a degree or hardcore university and at least get some sort of piece of paper.

Fast forward to now:

I lucked out with a great job. I work at a smaller company and am basically their all-in-one tech guy doing computer & network stuff to machine repair, but mainly R&D with automation and custom robotics for the company. Its never a boring day and now I'm working on a National Research Council funded Robotics Project to develop some new innovative robotic automation for our industry sector. I am the lead of the Electronics and Control Systems Development of the Project (it's only a small team, myself and an engineer who is doing the mechanical design so really I'm only the boss of myself lol) But I am brushing shoulders with giants working with some significant engineering individuals the most prominent would probably be the lead engineer from the terrestrial Canadarm Project Development who is advising us. So the experience and contact references I'm making are vital and I am undertaking some ambitious and challenging tasks with the project and also my day to day activities.

Coming up on two years of exp. this spring I am aspiring to apply to ASET for my CET credential but am also a little unsure of how to proceed with my career and education growth as I work mainly with electronics and computers but dont have the associated credentials completed. Which got me going back in the direction of completing the EET program at DeVry or possibly SAIT. Which has led to some serious considerations which is why hopefully somebody with more life and work experience can offer me some words of wisdom. Also not sure if it really matters but I am currently not working in oil and gas but would definitely like to continue work as an R&D Technologist or Electronics and Robotics subcontractor on my own in the future in any sector or field of work.

The difference between the two Post Secondary Educations:

-DeVry EET program is a B.Sc in Electronics Engineering Technology from the University of Phoenix
    -SAIT also offers a EET program but is only a 2 year diploma much like the MET program I have already completed.

So my questions(and i ask in relevance to future job potentials and potential growth and how it might help, hinder or have no real effect at all):

1. Does a degree really matter that much if the degree from DeVry is not really an engineering degree but rather a technologist credential recognized by ASET and the CCTT similar to a SAIT diploma?
    2. If I do get my CET credential from ASET (only from my MET and 2 years exp to date) is there any real advantage for me to finish my Degree from DeVry or a EET Diploma from SAIT seeing as EET is predominantly the field of work I see myself working in? Or will all an employer see is the CET credential and look more at my past projects, experience and achievements?
    3. Is the degree really worth it if it's not truly an Engineering Degree and the highest level of recognition is a B.Sc as a technologist through ASET?
    4. For those who are ASET members with CET or higher levels of certification is it likely to be able to earn your CET with the minimum level of experience? (I know this is a bit vague of a question and I am in contact with ASET to try and better understand how it would work)
    5. As an employer would a EET Degree make that much more of a difference over a EET Diploma?

I am weighing the pros and cons of cost with taking the EET program either at SAIT or DeVry as DeVry is substantially more expensive but the biggest thing is DeVry can be completed online; hopefully allowing me to earn my degree without taking time off work. I am still finding out the particulars about cost, and much of the education I've completed to date overlaps into these programs so it's likely I will be able to complete the EET credential fairly quickly from either institute. The only debate is if it's worth it. And timing with work.

SAIT doesnt work so well for timing but would be cheaper tuition-wise (unless I get the scholarship back at DeVry) Or completing the B.Sc through DeVry at more tuition-cost (assuming I dont get the scholarship) but being able to maintain my work throughout my education. At this point I'm fairly certain taking time off for SAIT would cost me more as I wouldnt be working but again the particulars are still being figured out and money and time will come clear later.

Sorry if it was a bit long winded. The long and short of it - I've got an MET diploma is finishing my EET Degree really worth it?

Links
    http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/acad...mas/aent.shtml
    http://www.devry.ca/programs/electro...p?WT.ac=ca-eet
    Last edited by v2kai; 02-17-2010 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Default Re: Technologist Advice... Any ASET Guys or other Engineering Types

1. Does a degree really matter that much if the degree from DeVry is not really an engineering degree but rather a technologist credential recognized by ASET and the CCTT similar to a SAIT diploma?
    The Devry "degree" is not recognized by ASET as far as I know. Only Canadian institutions approved by the CTAB are eligible. All others must apply for equivalency.
    2. If I do get my CET credential from ASET (only from my MET and 2 years exp to date) is there any real advantage for me to finish my Degree from DeVry or a EET Diploma from SAIT seeing as EET is predominantly the field of work I see myself working in? Or will all an employer see is the CET credential and look more at my past projects, experience and achievements?
    Past experience and achievements. The mechanical diploma is diverse enough to include multiple disciplines, which is why I recommend it to anybody

3. Is the degree really worth it if it's not truly an Engineering Degree and the highest level of recognition is a B.Sc as a technologist through ASET?
    You're better off getting your Bachelor of Technology or a full-on engineering degree. Your DeVry one won't HURT, but it won't necessarily help much either.
    http://www.nait.ca/program_home_28092.htm

4. For those who are ASET members with CET or higher levels of certification is it likely to be able to earn your CET with the minimum level of experience? (I know this is a bit vague of a question and I am in contact with ASET to try and better understand how it would work)
    This is what I hate about ASET. They do NOT have an objective review process. I applied with WAY more experience than I needed but did not get my CET. Instead I was awarded a C.Tech (Eng) which I feel is misleading as it suggests I'm a technician. I'm in the process of appealing.

However, all you really need is your references to be (a) engineers and (b) people who will THINK about the answers. A good chunk of the review package that is sent out to your references is about your management and leadership SKILLS. Many people interpret that as management EXPERIENCE. If you've got references that see that you have leadership potential and answer as such, you're fine. If you have people that take it literally and say you have zero experience therefore zero skills, then you're screwed for now. ASET will then give you a deadline to either get more experience or provide additional references.
    5. As an employer would a EET Degree make that much more of a difference over a EET Diploma?
    Again, it can't hurt, but the degree would need to be passed for equivalency. And then, it might just be the same as the diploma, anyways.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Default Re: Re: Technologist Advice... Any ASET Guys or other Engineering Types

Originally posted by 97'Scort

The Devry "degree" is not recognized by ASET as far as I know. Only Canadian institutions approved by the CTAB are eligible. All others must apply for equivalency.

You're better off getting your Bachelor of Technology or a full-on engineering degree. Your DeVry one won't HURT, but it won't necessarily help much either.
    http://www.nait.ca/program_home_28092.htm

This is what I hate about ASET. They do NOT have an objective review process. I applied with WAY more experience than I needed but did not get my CET. Instead I was awarded a C.Tech (Eng) which I feel is misleading as it suggests I'm a technician. I'm in the process of appealing.

I'm fairly sure it is recognized by ASET as per my discussions with an advisor but again it's a degree on paper but coming in on the same level in terms of a technologist diploma.

That nait program looks like something I would definitely like to do. It unfortunately brings up the same dilemma I'd have completing EET at SAIT which is taking considerable time off work as well as relocation for that particular program. This is not out of the question and I am dedicated to my education and growth such that I would definitely do that; however at this point if at all possible I'm trying to find a way around that somewhat.

When you applied for ASET (if you dont mind me asking, or if you're more comfortable continuing via pm go that route) were you well over the experience in years with very hands on in-depth work? from the sounds of things it was your references that didnt speak well for you...how well did you know your references and what were they? were you in any management roles or always working with or within other engineering teams?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Not at all. I had in excess of two years as a designer (office design, estimating, CAD work) and another year in the field (I suppose I exaggeraged on the "WAY MORE" bit). I know guys with way less experience than that (ie, just the bare minimum) who got their CET no problem.

My references were all engineers and two were my immediate supervisors. I was in several unofficial leadership roles (lead designer for a group, lead mechanical designer on a number of jobs) I was still considered only an Intermediate Designer as far as the company was concerned. When it came down to filling out the surveys, the bosses said I had no formal management work, which is true, but any idiot would see that I had been placed in and done well in several leadership positions. It depends how they choose to answer the questions.

Also, with the DeVry thing, call a different person or the head registrar with ASET to be sure. Sometimes those advisors are talking our of their asses (I volunteered with ASET for a long time, and a lot of the advisors are also volunteers. Defer to the head office just in case!).
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Not at all. I had in excess of two years as a designer (office design, estimating, CAD work) and another year in the field (I suppose I exaggeraged on the "WAY MORE" bit). I know guys with way less experience than that (ie, just the bare minimum) who got their CET no problem.

My references were all engineers and two were my immediate supervisors. I was in several unofficial leadership roles (lead designer for a group, lead mechanical designer on a number of jobs) I was still considered only an Intermediate Designer as far as the company was concerned. When it came down to filling out the surveys, the bosses said I had no formal management work, which is true, but any idiot would see that I had been placed in and done well in several leadership positions. It depends how they choose to answer the questions.

Also, with the DeVry thing, call a different person or the head registrar with ASET to be sure. Sometimes those advisors are talking our of their asses (I volunteered with ASET for a long time, and a lot of the advisors are also volunteers. Defer to the head office just in case!).
    Ouch so choose references wisely is what youre saying.

Yup DeVry is confirmed on ASET's new website. so the program is technologist level. Except a degree not a diploma and in the correct field for my work.
    http://aset.ab.ca/pages/Membership/A...dPrograms.aspx

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ASET certification is useless

Sure that may just be my 0.02, but I have never found a solid correlation between that certification and employee ability. You fill out an ethics test and then send them some money.... you get the certification.
    I'm a C.E.T. and I stand by this statement. I make my money based on my good looks.

Hm, I have a diploma of technology in mechanical engineering and I just got my T.T status from ASET.. and I was actually pretty happy to get that. I hope it's not completely useless...

Of course, I AM jobless right now.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Fremont

Originally posted by SJW

I'm a C.E.T. and I stand by this statement. I make my money based on my good looks.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be eligible for the the P.Tech designation/level in a couple years. Hopefully that will change things.
    -

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

hmmm good to know. Food for thought I guess.

I know experience is key. And companies judge a guy based on what he does not what he says.

Sugarphreak

Do you think having a degree in EET would be worth more than the ASET CET credential? (again taking into account my experience and past projects and achievements will shine more than any piece of paper)

also curious how much experience do you have yourself and what field are you in?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

You can't call yourself a technologist without ASET certification. They own the trademark to the word in Alberta (as do the other associations in their provinces). Also, since ASET is getting rolled into the same legislation that governs APEGGA, the designations will soon carry actual weight with them when it comes to professional liability and responsibility.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    You are comparing APPEGA to ASET

Well I am here to learn as much as the next guy; what kind of proffesional liability exactly is ASET going to give to them?

Currently if I wanted to join I would simply send them a couple of references, do an ethics test and a big check. I don't understand what that brings to the table in terms of credibility
    I save on my car insurance with ASET that's all I know.

ASET fee ($110)
    Car Insurance Savings ($500+) compared to others I got quoted from.

hehe

Currently I'm a T.T. (Technologist in Training) and might continue onto CET this May.

I'm still debating the fact if I should continue to CET or not, since I believe the company I work for doesn't recognize the certification, but I always think more credentials, more pay (with great work ethics and job performance of course)

I just got off the phone with someone from ASET and asked what credibility and benefits would I have when I'm CET and here's what I got:

- Pay raise - Apparently once I'm CET they would send my Boss some sort of letter regarding my certification which would lead me to getting a raise...(not sure how that works, but if it does GREAT!)

- Resume Booster - If for any reason I decide to get another job and that other job recognizes ASET Certification, it will help me land the job, plus Salary negotiation is to my advantage.

- Perks - Like I said I save quite a bit on my car insurance, that's basically why I have this ASET membership. I'm not sure what other benefits I have, but I believe you get discounts at some car rental places and restaurants...I don't know, I haven't tried.

I'm not sure if he answered my question fully, but he sounded like a salesman LOL

I'll probably end up giving it a try and if it doesn't live up to its expectation, i'll just let it expire.

Yea SAIT Grad MET like the OP, and yes I have the TD Meloche Monnex Insurance due to the savings hehe

I compared the savings from being a SAIT Alum and an ASET Member, $40 difference in savings, with ASET being the cheaper one.

I just talked to my Boss about ASET certification and he said that it's not needed for me, but I can still have it if I wanted for personal preference.

As far the pay raise after being CET, he said he'll get back to me on that HAHAHA

$40 difference per month.

$224 / month with ASET

$259 / month with SAIT Alum

Sorry it was $35 to be exact

$420 savings per year between the two

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

What kind of scholarship would give you a free ride through devry? Isnt it like 6k per semester

Life is a Gamble.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast