Quantcast
Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

After hanging out with some buddies early this morning, I had a hankering for dimsum and my friend recommended a new place.

Golden Central Chinese Cuisine
    5016 Centre Street NE
    Calgary, AB
    (403) 731-9199

This was a completely random trip so let's get started!

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 7/10

Near McKnight Blvd and Centre St., Golden Central is located is an odd spot near gas stations and a 7-Eleven. Their parking is adequate but for some reason, it was busy when we went today (noon-ish.)

It's a big place but you can totally notice that the place is brand-spankin' new; bright white walls, modern decor, and very utilitarian. It's not bad but I'm not used to it. Usually I get bombarded with Chinese decor of dragons and an overabundance of red and gold.

It's a chance of pace but some people may not like it. I think it could use a little bit more decor, maybe some framed pictures to liven things up but so long as it's clean, I'm okay with it. As expected, the restaurant is busy and loud which is good; I'd be worried if it was dead empty.

Food*: 8/10

* Hmkay, here's the tricky part. Now, I will be talking about the food with an emphasis on quantity over quality. The reason for this is, for me, all dimsum taste the same. Whether it may be a slum in the hood or some uber-fancy overpriced place *coughT-Potcough,* all dimsum tastes the same; awesome. Also, you're probably eating dimsum because it's cheap so in this instance, I will be defining 'food' as a ratio of quantity vs. price.

With that in mind...

The food at Golden Central is your generic dimsum eatery but one thing I noticed was the missing appearance of chicken feet. Where's the chicken feet? Maybe I missed it, whatever. We ordered the usual: dumplings, wonton, shaomai, crispy noodles with beef, steamed meatballs, etc. but there was one thing on the menu that my friend boasted as their 'specialty.'

It was #19.

It was this weird concoction of a steamed bun with an egg yolk filling... When I first tasted it, I immediately made a mess as yolk oozed out of the bun. It was an interesting taste of egg yolk and custard. Weird but it works. This should be a desert rather than a main course order but let's keep it coming.

The wontons were crispy and tasted better dipped in sweet-and-sour sauce. Very nice. To this day, I still don't know what you call this dish where there's a fried doughnut wrapped in rice flour(?) and then you dip it in this oyster/peanut sauce deal but I always ask my arteries for forgiveness whenever I have a bite.

The shaomai was probably the biggest set I've ever seen in Calgary; they were massive and similar to golf balls. So much food. So good.

Service: 7/10

The food came out quick and hot but I got sloppy service; when she served us one dish, the sauce spilled all over the table, getting our order menu wet. She then used my friend's napkin without ever replacing it. Tsk tsk.

Pricing: 9/10

C'mon, it's dimsum. You can't beat that. At ~$4/dish with the noodle dishes starting at ~$7, it may seem to be on the steep side but for the amount of food you get, you can't beat it. It cost $48 to feed four starving men and it was very satisfying.

Overall: 7.75/10

Seeing as how it's a new place, I say you enjoy this place while it's still clean! It's a great place with awesome, cheap food. Any broke-ass student can get on board with that!

For me, dimsum is 'U & Me' but Golden Central is a distant second.
    Last edited by flipstah; 02-18-2010 at 06:43 PM.

My Ride
    Ram

I like this place for dinner. I find that their dim sum isn't as good as their dinner. I like bobby chao's the best for dim sum.

Default Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

Originally posted by flipstah
    To this day, I still don't know what you call this dish where there's a fried doughnut wrapped in rice flour(?) and then you dip it in this oyster/peanut sauce deal but I always ask my arteries for forgiveness whenever I have a bite.
    Is it like a long Chinese dougnut in the shape of a stick and with the rice stuff, cut into smaller cylinders? I think it's "jar leung" but I could be wrong.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I have been to this place twice, T-pot beats them in every area imo (except line ups)
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

ive been to this place once, when it first opened. i thought it was pretty good when i went =D
    Originally posted by JustinGTP
    I ran past the Toyota display and when they asked why I was running through I said it was because I couldn't stop. Hahaha.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

They do have chicken feet.

Been there twice. I think the dim sum is OK. The price seems a bit more than what I'm used to paying in chinatown, and I usually order the same items. It's closer to my house, so maybe the convienence is ok.

The chinese doughnut rice crepe is #33 or #34 I think. I was just there yesterday.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Re: Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

Originally posted by Amysicle
    Is it like a long Chinese dougnut in the shape of a stick and with the rice stuff, cut into smaller cylinders? I think it's "jar leung" but I could be wrong.
    Yup! That's the one! I still think it's crazy to have a doughnut as a meal.

Originally posted by legendboy
    I have been to this place twice, T-pot beats them in every area imo (except line ups)
    T-Pot is so overpriced and you pay for the atmosphere. Chinatown is where it's at for crazy dimsum at cheap prices.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Default Re: Re: Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

I don't find it THAT greasy. LOL

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

Originally posted by CRXguy

That donut is good for congee mmmmmmm
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

Originally posted by CRXguy

LOL it's not greasy but there's so much fat and carbs...

Default Re: Re: Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

really? when i was in HK for 2 months i had it every morning.

lol i definitely came home a fat boy

Will try for supper tonite,
    Never had dimsum before....

For anyone that needs a google map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...51.44,,0,14.33

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by King Banana
    Will try for supper tonite,
    Never had dimsum before....

For anyone that needs a google map view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...51.44,,0,14.33
    Sweet! Let us know! Dinner is probably gonna be a different ballgame but have a great dinner!

Enjoy!

So I ended up getting for myself, chicken fried rice, beef w/ veggies, an order of spring rolls and 6 orders of won ton soup.

haha
    I was hungry, I also wanted enough for a good sized lunch tomorrow.

Some may consider that too much food for one person.

I couldn't find shaomai on the menu tho...

My Ride
    Ram

looks like you ordered from the white menu get the chinese menu next time, there is english in it and more/better dishes

me = confused

My Ride
    Ram

theres 2 seperate menus at the restaurant, im serious lol

My Ride
    a car

yeah. many Chinese restaurants have a menu of Chinese and one for non-Chinese. non-Chinese one has more (and different) selections.

Did you go for dinner or dimsum, King Banana? By shaomai you mean the pork in yellow wrapper right? That's usually only available during lunch.

EDIT: i meant to say the menu for Chinese has more selections.
    Last edited by KKY; 02-26-2010 at 11:52 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Review: Golden Central Chinese Cuisine (DIMSUM)

To this day, I still don't know what you call this dish where there's a fried doughnut wrapped in rice flour(?) and then you dip it in this oyster/peanut sauce deal but I always ask my arteries for forgiveness whenever I have a bite.
    炸兩
    There's a wiki on it lol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaliang
    That's the mandarin name btw. But it's Hoisin (seafood, not oyster) sauce and sesame (yes I know it tastes like peanut) sauce.

It was this weird concoction of a steamed bun with an egg yolk filling... When I first tasted it, I immediately made a mess as yolk oozed out of the bun. It was an interesting taste of egg yolk and custard. Weird but it works. This should be a desert rather than a main course order but let's keep it coming.
    That's not unpopular here. I think it's called "exploding" or "overflowing" or at some places "lava" egg yolk buns. There's a variation where the whole bun is deep fried. I believe Happy Hill (at the top of the Centre Street Lion's Bridge) has it.

Honestly, I'm white as white can be, I don't have a clue what I'm doing when I order chinese food.

I didn't know there was two menus, the guy never mentioned that, not that I would have understood him if he tried to tell me.

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?

So confused.

I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast