Quantcast
Peanut allergy buffer zones on airlines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Peanut allergy buffer zones on airlines

My Ride
    my car

Default Peanut allergy buffer zones on airlines

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd..._84705062.html

Maybe there should be self-contained bubbles that everyone can sit in so that there is absolutely no contact with anyone else. Then you can have peanuts and pets in your own bubble.

Problem solved!
    God didn't create man, man created God

My Ride
    G6

those gross snacks Air Canada serves have nuts in them?! I thought they had them specifically because they were nut-free.

Crazy paranoia; from now on I'm flying with a nut mix.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

I've flown with my daughter, who has a peanut allergy. Asking people around us not to eat peanuts is a much better alternative then 1)not traveling, or 2)watching her struggle to breath at 30,000ft., knowing that we'll never make to a hospital in the 20 minutes that her epi-pen buys us.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So long as none of this increases the cost of tickets for those not taking advantage of the program there is no problem. If there are going to be additional fees introduced by the airline, they should be payed by the passenger wanting the buffer zone and not those who don't utilize it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by baygirl
    I've flown with my daughter, who has a peanut allergy. Asking people around us not to eat peanuts is a much better alternative then 1)not traveling, or 2)watching her struggle to breath at 30,000ft., knowing that we'll never make to a hospital in the 20 minutes that her epi-pen buys us.
    I don't know anybody with a nut allergy but I know it can be fatal.

Just so I'm aware, how does the allergic reaction get triggered? Does some of the nut have to be actually ingested?

My Ride
    my car

Don't get me wrong - I understand what can happen to people with severe allergies. I have a friend that is allergic to peanuts, eggs, bees, you name it he's allergic. Severley allergic. I'm not making light of peoples allergies. I'm just saying that there are a number of things that are going to bother people when you get a crowd together in a confined space.

If buffer zones allow people to take pets, not be around peanuts or even not be as close to stinky people then by all means. It's a better compromise than none.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by PremiumRSX

Just so I'm aware, how does the allergic reaction get triggered? Does some of the nut have to be actually ingested?
    With my daughter, I put peanut butter on the bagel, and just put it on the table in front of her. Next thing I know, even though she hadn't actually eaten any, her face, eyes and tongue were swollen. If someone sitting next to us was eating a bag of peanuts, there is a chance she could have a reaction. I don't expect everyone on the plane to give up their snacks, I just want the people around me to be aware, and only once have I had a problem. The staff informed the man in the seat next to us, and he demanded we be moved. We did, no questions asked, even though I prefer to sit in the first row, so she won't be kicking the seat in front of her. As much as I would like to put her in a bubble to protect her, I can't, but to me asking people near us not to eat peanuts is the same as making sure she's buckled in in the car.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

If you want people around you to do certain things, you need to be prepared for the ones that don't.

For me, it's you move or I move. One of the two. I don't want to be restricted by an outside force that has nothing to do with me.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by scat19
    If you want people around you to do certain things, you need to be prepared for the ones that don't.

For me, it's you move or I move. One of the two. I don't want to be restricted by an outside force that has nothing to do with me.
    That's why I had no problem with moving. Part of me would like to believe he wasn't being a jerk, but that he didn't want to be any way responsible if anything happened. You'd be surprised some of the things that contain peanuts.

My Ride
    my car

That's why I had no problem with moving. Part of me would like to believe he wasn't being a jerk, but that he didn't want to be any way responsible if anything happened. You'd be surprised some of the things that contain peanuts.
    Or peanut oil for that matter. I'm glad that for you people have been mostly receptive.

I can't really think of a reason why it would be a problem to refrain from peanuts for the duration of a flight.

So then it comes down to this - those people that had problems with pets being put above human rights, would the same thing apply to them with peanuts? Does your right to have peanuts outweigh the minority of people with peanut allergies that this could very seriously affect? I know it's a stretch between those two but my point is that just because it may be the minority that requests a change does that automatically mean that they are undeserving because they ARE the minority?

nvm
    Last edited by scary_perry; 02-20-2010 at 12:47 AM.

I am confused to as the comment about needing to get someone to buy an epi-pen they are allowed on the airplane?

If someone has these allergies an epi pen should be carried at all times. I know for a fact they are allowed and don't cause any problems with getting on board.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

I don't know why people find it so hard to compromise. With the pets on a plane, just say you don't want to sit near one. The thing that bugs me most is the people who seem to think I'm just an over protective, paranoid parent. I don't want peanuts banned from everywhere, but the public has to realize this is a life threatening allergy. Yes, she is in a minority, but she has the right to live her life. If that inconviences someone, I am sorry, but her life is more important then their peanut craving.
    Last edited by baygirl; 02-20-2010 at 01:03 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by Kritafo
    I am confused to as the comment about needing to get someone to buy an epi-pen they are allowed on the airplane?

If someone has these allergies an epi pen should be carried at all times. I know for a fact they are allowed and don't cause any problems with getting on board.
    I actually travel with 2. The problem is, once she's been given the shot, we have max 20 minutes to seek emergency help.

My Ride
    my car

I don't know why people find it so hard to compromise. With the pets on aplane, just say you don't want to seat near one. The thing that bugs me most is the people who seem to think I'm just an over protective, paranoid parent. I don't want peanuts banned from everywhere, but the public has to realize this is a life threatening allergy. Yes, she is in a minority, but she has the right to live her life. If that inconviences someone, I am sorry, but her life is more important then their peanut craving.
    Absolutely.

Originally posted by Kritafo
    An epi pen is a band aid fix. It buys you anywhere from 10-20 mins after injection. That is clearly not enough time to land the plane and get the victim in an ambulance... Realistically it is only a matter of time before someone dies on a flight.

Originally posted by can't hide
    So then it comes down to this - those people that had problems with pets being put above human rights, would the same thing apply to them with peanuts? Does your right to have peanuts outweigh the minority of people with peanut allergies that this could very seriously affect? I know it's a stretch between those two but my point is that just because it may be the minority that requests a change does that automatically mean that they are undeserving because they ARE the minority?
    Pets and peanuts don't belong in the cabin just like I can't go outside and shoot my rifle in the air to celebrate Canada winning a medal.

My Ride
    my car

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Pets and peanuts don't belong in the cabin just like I can't go outside and shoot my rifle in the air to celebrate Canada winning a medal.
    good point!

Life > peanuts. No matter what or who you are. If someone near/around you informs you that their life hangs in the balance with a severe allergy; you best be sure that you are 100% liable if that person suffers a reaction from you knowingly exposing them to that element. Doubly so in a sealed environment with their trigger being a food item.

Things like allergies NEED to be assesed case by case. If you get a rash from my peanut consumption... then you can make arrangements to be away from contact. But if youre risking anaphalaxis, NO ONE should be playing with that.

Peanut allergies are a big enough concern to society that in the interest of 'everybody preservation', rules need to be implemented.

This whole idea of being so arrogant and self centered that you must be able to do what you want, when you want is disgusting, and is the crux of the issue. With certain people being catered to over others; and a lack of survival of the fittest, (because I mean seriously, its irrelevant in 1st world countries) you MUST let go of that attitude. - TKRIS would like this.

Last word: If you knowingly cause someone discomfort, or make them compromise in a life or death situation over something trivial like eating snack food, then you deserve to be bludgened to death with an elephantitis version of that legume.

As for the reference with shooting off a rifle.
    Last edited by R154; 02-20-2010 at 02:07 AM.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    my car

cashews are way better anyways.
    Last edited by can't hide; 02-20-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast