Quantcast
Replacement winter / commuter car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Replacement winter / commuter car

My Ride
    1991 Honda Accord

Question Replacement winter / commuter car

This winter was rough on my 92 Honda accord and the opportunity has come up for me to purchase a 2004 Acura TSX without Nav (Auto). The main thing holding me back is that it has 210,000KM on it.
    I would be the third owner. The car has been serviced at Silverhill with the exception of two oil changes. (I have seen the service record from Silverhill). The car looks like it only has 60KM on it. The question I have is, how much more is left in this car with the proper maintenance. Is there something big that is about to happen to this car that may leave me stranded on the side of Deerfoot? I do plan on having a mechanic give it a good inspection before purchase. (Timing chain has not been replaced)

My current car is paid for and still runs very strong. The issue i have is what happens when it gives up on the side of Deerfoot next winter and i am stranded without a car in the middle of winter when there is a poor selection of winter beaters?? (1992 Honda Accord SE 280,000KM)

Any suggestions or help would be great.

PS: What is everyone thoughts on price of the Acura? (04 TSX Auto 210,000KM)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    - Mario Andretti

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Re: Replacement winter / commuter car

Originally posted by leutyc
    This winter was rough on my 92 Honda accord and the opportunity has come up for me to purchase a 2004 Acura TSX without Nav (Auto). The main thing holding me back is that it has 210,000KM on it.
    I would be the third owner. The car has been serviced at Silverhill with the exception of two oil changes. (I have seen the service record from Silverhill). The car looks like it only has 60KM on it. The question I have is, how much more is left in this car with the proper maintenance. Is there something big that is about to happen to this car that may leave me stranded on the side of Deerfoot? I do plan on having a mechanic give it a good inspection before purchase. (Timing chain has not been replaced)

My current car is paid for and still runs very strong. The issue i have is what happens when it gives up on the side of Deerfoot next winter and i am stranded without a car in the middle of winter when there is a poor selection of winter beaters?? (1992 Honda Accord SE 280,000KM)

Any suggestions or help would be great.

PS: What is everyone thoughts on price of the Acura? (04 TSX Auto 210,000KM)

How much are you getting it for? the timing belt should be changed, if that snaps on you you are fucked. Why is your car going to give up on the side of deerfoot? I have seen Accords like yours go for 400 - 500 000 k

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 11:16 PM.

My Ride
    1991 Honda Accord

04 TSX - $10,000

It's not that is going to give up on the side of deerfoot, its just that this year the ignition switch and alternator went at different times this winter and i had to rely on other people to help me get parts and get around. I don't like to have to depend on other people.

I believe the Accord would last me till at least 350,000 if i continue to treat it the way i do and do the maintenance on it. I just don't like the un foreseen issues that i cant prevent.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    - Mario Andretti

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by leutyc
    04 TSX - $10,000

It's not that is going to give up on the side of deerfoot, its just that this year the ignition switch and alternator went at different times this winter and i had to rely on other people to help me get parts and get around. I don't like to have to depend on other people.

I believe the Accord would last me till at least 350,000 if i continue to treat it the way i do and do the maintenance on it. I just don't like the un foreseen issues that i cant prevent.
    Unforeseen issues can happen with any car.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

210,000 is really not that much for a honda. if you think its worth it, go for it. they are beautiful cars.

My Ride
    bus

The tsx does not have a timing belt, it has a chain

My Ride

Have you taken a look at other manufactures or vehicles with lower kms?, maybe a Jeep Grand Cherokees, I was actually thinking of getting one for the winter months, since is 4x4, etc. At that price range you can get a 2004-2006 with lower kilometres, unless you are set on this vehicle, for 10k I wouldn't buy anything that has more than 130K, but they acuras are good looking cars, before the face lift lol, good luck with the decision.

My Ride
    S2000/Ram1500/katana 600

most honda engines have a recommended a timing chain replacement at 200,000~km anyways, and besides it's a really good thing to do just to be sure.