Quantcast
Toyota. Putting profit ahead of safety! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Toyota. Putting profit ahead of safety!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

It's the same thing that is happening to Tiger Woods. Way too much attention because people love drama.

My Ride
    Bicycle

In the case of the Chevy Cobalt there were 1,157 complaints about steering issues before the recall was started, while the Toyota Corolla had registered just 84 complaints before that recall was announced. Even more telling was the fact that NHTSA took an average of 262 days to conclude an investigation before launching a recall, but the range was curiously wide – from just 10 days to a full six years, according to the Edmunds.com report.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/e...ring-complaint

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

well obviously it doesn't happen everyday in the automotive history. The last time the media/government raised hell in regarding an automotive recall in this magnitude was the tire issue with the explorer.

You make it sound like that toyota is only getting bad press because they are toyota.... How do you figure all the domestic manufacturers got such a negative image over the years?
    What makes you think it doesn't happen every day in the auto industry? Of course it does, almost every vehicle that exist has some sort of recall. Most of the time recalls are issued because the problem can be life threatening If they aren't serious enough to be life threatening then a TSB is issued. Toyota is getting bad press because they are Toyota, Chrysler and GM are owned by the US government so it's in their best interest that Toyota fails. As I mentioned you don't see any other governments in the world going to the lengths that the US government has to damage Toyota's reputation. The domestic manufacturers destroyed their reputation over a period of decades, if you look at the statistics Toyota is still well above industry average in terms of quality surpassing makes such as BMW, VW, Nissan, GM etc. I'll be the first to admit that their quality has slipped over the last 5 years so in essence this is a wake up call for them but things didn't need to get blown out of proportion in the way they did.

As Aleks mentioned this is very much like the Tiger Woods incident, who honestly cares how many girls he's been with? Hang around with professional athletes and you will soon see that infidelity, girlfriends on the side and even wive swapping are not uncommon. People just love to hate you when you're at the top, it makes them feel better about themselves when they're at the bottom.
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 02-23-2010 at 02:09 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Time will tell.

Ford went from selling half a million Exploders per year to barely selling just over 50K last year.

Even the president of Toyota is saying they were focused on getting bigger:

"Quite frankly, I fear the pace at which we have grown may have been too quick," Toyoda said in the statement.

"We pursued growth over the speed at which we were able to develop our people and our organization," he said. "I regret that this has resulted in the safety issues described in the recalls we face today, and I am deeply sorry for any accidents that Toyota drivers have experienced."
    http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/23/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T1

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

What about the fact when i went to rent a car on the weekend. Toyota rented all the cars from enterprise so they were still making money, instead of having them just sit there.

I dont think chevy, gmc, etc would do anything like that extent.

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

What makes you think it doesn't happen every day in the auto industry? Of course it does, almost every vehicle that exist has some sort of recall. Most of the time recalls are issued because the problem can be life threatening If they aren't serious enough to be life threatening then a TSB is issued. Toyota is getting bad press because they are Toyota, Chrysler and GM are owned by the US government so it's in their best interest that Toyota fails. As I mentioned you don't see any other governments in the world going to the lengths that the US government has to damage Toyota's reputation. The domestic manufacturers destroyed their reputation over a period of decades, if you look at the statistics Toyota is still well above industry average in terms of quality surpassing makes such as BMW, VW, Nissan, GM etc. I'll be the first to admit that their quality has slipped over the last 5 years so in essence this is a wake up call for them but things didn't need to get blown out of proportion in the way they did.

As Aleks mentioned this is very much like the Tiger Woods incident, who honestly cares how many girls he's been with? Hang around with professional athletes and you will soon see that infidelity, girlfriends on the side and even wive swapping are not uncommon. People just love to hate you when you're at the top, it makes them feel better about themselves when they're at the bottom.
    while I agree toyota is still above average but I think alot has changed and I have a friend who just purchased a 2008 high lander in oct09, needless to say he is now wanting to sell it because of a extremely impossible to ignore dashboard rattle which toyota refuse to fix and a grinding noise that comes when the car is in gear again toyota refuse to fix again or even look at it.

this is not the only incident, I have another friend who his entire family line had nothing but V6 camrys, then when he got his, he gets this clicking noise every time before he engages his car, went to the dealership, manager you name it, he went to great lengths and at the end of the day, no fix.

and I have another person who is thinking of getting rid of his 2010 corolla but I havent ask exactly whats the issue.

there is a old chinese saying that you cant stay at the top for ever.
    Last edited by SilverRex; 02-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3