Quantcast
RCMP using 'L' Plates - is this entrapment? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RCMP using 'L' Plates - is this entrapment?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Mibz

Why? There's no law preventing you from putting one on your car :P

there is actually.

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
    there is actually.
    I couldn't find it. Link/#?

EDIT: In fact it looks like DriveSmartBC agrees with me
    There is no rule that states that a driver other than one in the GLP cannot display an L or N sign.
    http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/faq

Suck it up and be an adult, you were speeding. Fight it, I hope the judge nails you for wasting tax money listening to a child cry about injustice of being held accountable for your actions. Imagine that.

A cop can drive a frickin ice cream truck and cut law breakers tickets. It is their job.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Mibz

Why? There's no law preventing you from putting one on your car :P
    There is though! I think that is his point.

Edit: Oops, too slow! I know of two different people pulled over and told to remove the "L" as they were not actual "L" drivers. Now I am going to look into it more.

But more on point, this is BC, the cops can break the law and get away with it if they feel like it.
    Last edited by GTS4tw; 02-22-2010 at 07:43 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Jay911
    Entrapment means that you are lured into performing an illegal act that you wouldn't have done otherwise.

Having a Learner sticker on a vehicle is not entrapment.

Pulling up beside you at a stoplight and goading you into racing would be entrapment.
    This is the first thing that went through my head when I read the title. Seems like only a select few people actually know what entrapment means.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Pulling up beside you at a stoplight and goading you into racing would be entrapment.
    Better not be.

Entrapment would be "Kill this guy, or else I kill your sister" and then arrest him for killing the guy. That's entrapment.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Entrapment means that you are lured into performing an illegal act that you wouldn't have done otherwise.

Having a Learner sticker on a vehicle is not entrapment.

I'm a bit confused, I thought there were no "entrapment" laws in Canada so to speak.

I mean, what about prostitute sting where she's actually a cop? Don't mean to bring this off topic, I just need a better understanding of our entrapment laws.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

Originally posted by signature7

I'm a bit confused, I thought there were no "entrapment" laws in Canada so to speak.

I mean, what about prostitute sting where she's actually a cop? Don't mean to bring this off topic, I just need a better understanding of our entrapment laws.
    Again no one is forcing you to hire the prostitute.

Define entrapment:

a defence that claims the defendant would not have broken the law if not tricked into doing it by law enforcement officials
    I dont think the defence "but officer if she wasnt a cop I wouldn't have hired her" would stick.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

luxor Guest

Originally posted by signature7

Those "prostitutes" don't lure potential Johns to them, they are approached by the Johns instead. See the difference?

Now, let us all go back screaming ENTRAPMENT when we have no fucking clue what it means.

Ahh I see. I never been clear about the subject before, thanks for clarifying.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    S2000/Ram1500/katana 600

actually OP might have a point, all be it a moot one. It is considered a government issue information sign, or something like that, the exact definition eludes me right now. Meaning the government has issued you a sign to inform other drivers of your skill level or intention. it would be like a large truck displaying it's wide load sign without actually having a wide load. It's kind of a grey area, but I for one would want to bring it up at least, you were caught speeding cut and dry, so own up to it and do the right thing, but I would definatly look into it further and if you really want to push the subject you could pull the all time favorite american bullshit lawer responce of "well your honor this vehicle was being driving illegally and if it wasn't for the officers initial infraction he would not have been at that spot on the highway to catch my client and therefor the charge is null and void."
    I hate americans and thier lawsuit happy lifestyle, they have fucked up the world to the point of no return. on a funny side note, I saw a hooker/cop sting in action, and the first thing that tipped me off that her being a cop was she was hot, I mean triple take while driving hot. The guy behind me pulled over, and by the time I pulled into the chinese food places parking lot there was cops all over his truck and he was being pulled out. It was the greatest thing I ever saw a cop do

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by methodicreign
    I saw a hooker/cop sting in action, and the first thing that tipped me off that her being a cop was she was hot, I mean triple take while driving hot.
    If she was THAT hot, I'd consider that male entrapment

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

This thread is full of fail.

Entrapment
    n. in criminal law, the act of law enforcement officers or government agents inducing or encouraging a person to commit a crime when the potential criminal expresses a desire not to go ahead. The key to entrapment is whether the idea for the commission or encouragement of the criminal act originated with the police or government agents instead of with the "criminal." Entrapment, if proved, is a defense to a criminal prosecution. The accused often claims entrapment in so-called "stings" in which undercover agents buy or sell narcotics, prostitutes' services or arrange to purchase goods believed to be stolen. The factual question is: Would Johnny Begood have purchased the drugs if not pressed by the narc?

So, was the cop speeding in the 50 as well then, since he was in front of you, before pulling over to get you?

My Ride
    MK4 TDi , WK Grand Cherokee

Originally posted by revelations
    apparently the unmarked cop was riding his ass (a safety issue and a HUGE pet peeve for riders) and the rider sped up a bit to gain some distance
    Heck I hate when people tailgate when im speeding, like sure I understand when your going limit or under. But just yesterday I was going maybe 70 in a 50, and some hick in his pickup was tailgating me no joke at around 3-4 feet... if I woulda been with my old beater I woulda just braced and slammed the fuckin brakes.... ENSPCIALLY if i saw it was a cop doing it, like heck... they look to ticket anybody for ANY reason.

My Ride
    2004 DSG Mustang GT

I thought cops jobs were to prevent crimes? How are they supposed to prevent crimes if their presence is unknown in an area, ala ghost cars. If the bump of visible enforcements on certain highways, will that not cause people to slow down?

We see that all the time here: "Cop on xxx running speed trap" -> The cops achieve their goal by getting people to slow down and be more cautious in the area? Now how are they doing it with ghost cars?

Why does everyone think because entrapment has the word trap in it that anytime they catch you its entrapment? Is common sense lost on everyone?
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

oh FFS, JUST DON'T SPEED adn you don't have to worry

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

I know that they can give you a ticket for having a L decal on your car if you don't have an L license. So does the cop have a learners license?

I don't know about AB but in BC the L and N decals are just magnetic stick-ons.

My guess is maybe somebody played a joke and stuck one on his car and he didn't know it was there, then I would have definitely asked the cop (respectfully of course) if it was illegal to display a learners sticker when you are not a learner and see if he clues in or gives you some lame excuse.
    Last edited by schmooot; 03-01-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Originally posted by schmooot
    I know that they can give you a ticket for having a L decal on your car if you don't have an L license.
    Not that the topic is really relevant anymore, but it would be a big help if you could link to the law that says that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast