Quantcast
Failure to provide registration... then found it 5 mins later. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Failure to provide registration... then found it 5 mins later.

Default Failure to provide registration... then found it 5 mins later.

I just got pulled over this morning while going to the university for my first class of the day. I was going 69 in a 60 zone, but I didn't get a ticket for that. Anyways I got pulled over, and the guy asked for my insurance and registration. I found the insurance sheet, but I couldn't find the registration since I wasn't driving my car at the time. Needless to say I got a ticket for failure to provide registration.

However 5 minutes later after I left I realized there's a upper compartment in the Odyssey and I found the registration for the vehicle. I have it on me, just couldn't find it at the time.

I can't seem to find any information on how to fight this ticket, since everything else seems to be on speeding. I've driven since I was legal to do so and I've never gotten a ticket/never been pulled over before :P Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to fight it. Can I drop by a local police station to have the charge dropped (After all I'm a poor student lol), or do I need to set a trial date? Also what's the difference between Option 2 (Plead not guilty and appear and the trial date) and Option 3 (Appear before a justice)?

Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Bring your registration to the Justice or Maj and show them and ticket dropped IIRC
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I don't think you can fight it. You can try, but I very much doubt it'll be worth your while.
    They specifically designed the law just so that you can't fight it.
    The infraction isn't for not having registration, it's for not being able to provide proof of registration immediately on request. Doesn't matter if you found the paper 5 minutes later or 5 years later. You couldn't hand it to him when he said "hand it to me", and that's the law.

FWIW, I think it's complete bullshit too.

This is all just what I've "heard". I'd love to be wrong.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    S13 SR, 97 ZJ

dont think so... thats a ticket your going to have to live with im pretty sure. just like not having your license on you.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Bring your registration to the Crown or Maj and show them and ticket dropped I think
    He didn't have it at the time, therefore failure to provide. Maybe you can fight it, but the cops knew writing the ticket that he had registration, not about proving it later.

My Ride
    changes every year

you can definitely not "fight" this but you can take it to the JP and it will be dropped as long as the registration has a date before the date you were pulled over. it happened to me, youll be fine.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by ryder_23

He didn't have it at the time, therefore failure to provide. Maybe you can fight it, but the cops knew writing the ticket that he had registration, not about proving it later.

They can easily tell if your vehicle is registered by running the plate.

My old manager went and had his failure to produce ticket reduced to a seatbelt ticket - he said that a seatbelt violation is more serious then not producing a piece of paper. They agreed and he paid the lesser fine.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Same thing happened with me and insurance. I HAD insurance, but the card I handed the cop was from the previous year.

Now, if I was charged with not HAVING insurance, that is different. I could have proved that I did, and that would have been that.

Similarily, if you got a ticket for NOT having registration, then you could fight it. But if it is a ticket for failure to produce registration, then I think you're hooped.

All depends on the technicalities either way. Between the two of us, they just nabbed another few bills.

My Ride
    Hatred

I've failed to provide registration or insurance.. can't remember which

But in the end I went to the local police station and showed them my registration/insurance and they dropped the charge right there, no court nothing.
    -U

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by Unknown303
    I've failed to provide registration or insurance.. can't remember which

But in the end I went to the local police station and showed them my registration/insurance and they dropped the charge right there, no court nothing.

Thats what I did when I couldn't find mine too

need to show them the ticket too
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys. I dropped by a police station this afternoon, and talked to one of the officers there. He was very helpful but he couldn't drop the ticket there -- he did try to get a hold of the officer who pulled me over, but he was off duty so he messaged him to call me tomorrow morning. If he doesn't then he gave me a whole list of options where I can get a hold of him, etc. Hopefully it will be sorted out haha.