Quantcast
Wedding bands - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wedding bands

Default Wedding bands

Hey Guys,

Does anyone here know of place in Calgary that sells black zirconium or black titanitum wedding bands.

Thanks

My Ride
    Is fun!

I saw some titanium in Market Mall.

After talking to the sales lady she pointed out something interesting. Titanium is a damned hard metal. If you ever have a problem or accident with your hand/ring finger and end up in the hospital, chances are high you're gonna lose the finger before the ring, because they don't have cutting equipment capable of dealing with it.

That may or may not be true, but that's what she said. No item of Jewelry is worth amputation IMO....lol

My Ride
    Horse

^ was that at ben mos? they told me the same thing

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Wedding bands

Originally posted by doublet
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone here know of place in Calgary that sells black zirconium or black titanitum wedding bands.

Thanks
    Walmart. They're about $70.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by Wrinkly

After talking to the sales lady she pointed out something interesting. Titanium is a damned hard metal. If you ever have a problem or accident with your hand/ring finger and end up in the hospital, chances are high you're gonna lose the finger before the ring, because they don't have cutting equipment capable of dealing with it.

That may or may not be true, but that's what she said. No item of Jewelry is worth amputation IMO....lol
    I was told the same thing by a few sales people when I was shopping for my Tungsten Carbide ring. I did some research and it turns out that it's just not true.

The same thing is found on many sites but from here: http://www.cascadiadesignstudio.com/...t-off-ring.htm

Emergency Medical Technicians, Fire Departments, and Hospital Emergency Rooms can quickly remove titanium rings in case of an injured finger.

We hear false claims from jewelry stores that titanium can't be cut. Many jewelers spread this rumor when titanium started to weaken their sales of more expensive bands. If titanium could not be cut, we wouldn't be able to make our rings in the first place using ordinary high-speed steel tools!

Several non-destructive methods for ring removal are available before resorting to cutting a ring. For example: soak the hand in ice water for a couple of minutes to reduce the size of the finger. Apply lotion, liquid soap or lubricant, then pull the ring with a rocking motion.

Rings made with a true comfort fit interior are easier to slide off than rings with a straight "pipe-fit" interior. Be aware that many titanium rings on the market claim to be comfort fit, but they just have a straight "pipe fit" interior with only the edges tapered and rounded off. Our rings have a true comfort fit, fully curved interior.

In the rare event it becomes necessary to cut off a ring, emergency medical professionals carry ring cutters or rotary cut-off tools that cut through metals, including our CP and Aerospace Grade Titanium. In our testing, we found that tools that will cut through stainless steel will also cut through titanium rings.

Ring cutters are available from jewelry supply companies and ChiefSupply.com, a company serving Public Safety professionals.

For your safety, never wear any type of ring around open machinery or electrical equipment, or while participating in physical sports.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I can tell you right now this is complete and utter bullshit. They'll cut that sum bitch off and I don't mean the finger.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I bought mine from Titanium Era online.
    Tungsten Carbide.
    The "you'll lose your finger" spiel is bullshit. They can cut it off or snap it apart (depending on the material).

My advise is to not spend too much money on a ring. I'm on my second one, adn I've been married less than 2 years.
    Last summer I was taking my wife for a ride on the JetSki. I flipped it, launched the wife into the water, and lost my wedding ring in the process.
    She was unimpressed.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by Vanish3d
    ^ was that at ben mos? they told me the same thing
    Now you mention it, I think it might have been!

Originally posted by cet

I was told the same thing by a few sales people when I was shopping for my Tungsten Carbide ring. I did some research and it turns out that it's just not true.

The same thing is found on many sites but from here: http://www.cascadiadesignstudio.com/...t-off-ring.htm

Originally posted by SJW

I can tell you right now this is complete and utter bullshit. They'll cut that sum bitch off and I don't mean the finger.
    Thanks guys - that's good to know...lol

Originally posted by TKRIS
    I bought mine from Titanium Era online.
    Tungsten Carbide.
    The "you'll lose your finger" spiel is bullshit. They can cut it off or snap it apart (depending on the material).

My advise is to not spend too much money on a ring. I'm on my second one, adn I've been married less than 2 years.
    Last summer I was taking my wife for a ride on the JetSki. I flipped it, launched the wife into the water, and lost my wedding ring in the process.
    She was unimpressed.
    She should be glad you only lost the ring and not her

Complete BS.

Titanium isn't an abnormally STRONG material. It is just very LIGHTWEIGHT for its strength.

So when compared to stainless steel or an aluminum alloy it is relatively the same strength but much lighter.

Originally posted by sputnik

Complete BS.

Titanium isn't an abnormally STRONG material. It is just very LIGHTWEIGHT for its strength.

So when compared to stainless steel or an aluminum alloy it is relatively the same strength but much lighter.
    To add, both are just harder to cut than traditional precious metals that are used for jewelery (gold, platinum). It's also bullshit marketing schtick to play on your safety fears to get you to spend more for for platinum or gold since they cost more. Everyone who works at a jewelery store can't possibly be that stupid or misinformed about the strength and safety of metals.
    heloc that shit

ummm cutting titanium, even machining titanium is very similar to stainless steel. speeds, feeds, tooling, etc. ive worked with the stuff for years with no difficulty cutting it. for something the size of a wedding band you can cut it with normal side cutters or small bolt cutters, which ive used on 3/8" round titanium bar stock before.

jewellers should stick to selling Rocks which they advertise as rare yet every mall seems to have just as many diamond stores as clothing stores leading me to see that they are full of shit.

My Ride
    09 WRX

Originally posted by qcp1

jewellers should stick to selling Rocks which they advertise as rare yet every mall seems to have just as many diamond stores as clothing stores leading me to see that they are full of shit.

My Ride

^Why the facepalm?
    Diamonds are nowhere near rare enough to demand the prices they sell for. Their value is almost entirely artificially created.
    In the late 30's, with diamond prices in a relative freefall around the world, De Beers got together with an American ad agency to create a marketing campaign. They started giving diamonds to movie stars (a segment of celebrity that was just emerging at the time). Stories written on celebrities were designed to emphasize the size and luxury of diamonds. The entire entertainment industry was driven to create a demand for diamonds.
    It's that foundation, artificially created using clever marketing in Hollywood 70 years ago, that you pay a couple grand for a stone who's actual worth (were it not for that artificially created demand) would be a hundred bucks or so.

It's both awe inspiring in it's brilliance, and uncontrollably depressing in it's efficacy.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

^ While this might be true. If diamonds aren't worth the amount that they sell at, then they wouldn't sell and prices would go down. So obviously people are buying enough at these prices to keep it up.

My Ride

You've misunderstood.
    Of course, diamonds are "worth" what they're selling for because people are willing to pay that much. Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My point is just that they're only "worth" that much because of very clever marketing that's inflated the price far higher than it naturally should be.
    Diamonds aren't an especially rare precious stone. The vast majority of the value of every other gemstone is directly related to how many of them there are, and how easy they are to get. Many types of amber, sapphire, emerald, etc are far more rare and more difficult to find than the standard diamond, yet they're not nearly as valuable. This is solely because of the artificial demand that De Beers created in order to revive their industry following the depression.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

That's like any consumer good that we have. They market it so that they can sell it for more than it's worth. Like with Michael Jordan selling Nike shoes; those $150 shoes didn't make you a better basketball player anymore than the $20 shoes from Walmart did. And they didn't last 7.5 times longer than the price reflected. The increased price was due to branding and the prestige that came along with those shoes.

De Beers did the same thing with diamonds instead of those other precious gems. I guess it's a complement to De Beers than, cause they've managed to prop up the price of diamonds for so long.

You've misunderstood.
    Of course, diamonds are "worth" what they're selling for because people are willing to pay that much. Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My point is just that they're only "worth" that much because of very clever marketing that's inflated the price far higher than it naturally should be.
    Then why are people buying $300 pairs of jeans or $2000 purses?

My Ride

^For the exact same reason.

The biggest difference that I can see, and the real brilliance behind the campaign, is that De Beers pretty well locked down the diamond market before running the campaign. There's no competition. That's the real brilliance. They locked everything down adn got control of the whole industry, and then they created massive demand.

My Ride
    09 WRX

^Why the facepalm?
    Diamonds are nowhere near rare enough to demand the prices they sell for. Their value is almost entirely artificially created.
    In the late 30's, with diamond prices in a relative freefall around the world, De Beers got together with an American ad agency to create a marketing campaign. They started giving diamonds to movie stars (a segment of celebrity that was just emerging at the time). Stories written on celebrities were designed to emphasize the size and luxury of diamonds. The entire entertainment industry was driven to create a demand for diamonds.
    It's that foundation, artificially created using clever marketing in Hollywood 70 years ago, that you pay a couple grand for a stone who's actual worth (were it not for that artificially created demand) would be a hundred bucks or so.

It's both awe inspiring in it's brilliance, and uncontrollably depressing in it's efficacy.

Sorry, I doubt that Qcp1 knew any of that. I know I didn't.
    I was referring to the fact that Qcp1 was making it sound like diamonds are as common as Basalt, and that they should be valued the same. Which they clearly shouldn't.
    There are so many diamond (actually jewellery) stores because these products are in high demand (for the reasons stated by TKRIS) and have high profit margins.
    Ignoring the artificial mark-up on the diamonds and such, I would guess (with no basis) that there would still be just as many jewellery stores in malls as there are today. They would just have a bit different inventories.

Working in the industry, I'd have to say that the biggest problem with the Jewelry industry today is the lack of quality that you find in most stores... case and point: all the made in china crap that most stores carry... thats the real kicker... these stores have huge markups because they are selling low quality shit in bulk based on a huge economy of scale which supplies multiple giant chains of stores, and marketing based purely on Carat Weight, and appraisal values.

The mark up on high quality, non-treated, hand made jewelry is actually a lot smaller than most people think it is... which is frustrating because were expected to match the prices of a lot of these other places...

In terms of diamond pricing... despite what you hear... for the most part its been incredibly stable for the last 30 years or so, increasing only at around the rate of inflation... people seem to believe that the pricing is very volatile, i think this goes hand in hand with people believing that the appraisal value is the market value of the ring today...

there are a lot of misconceptions of the Jewelry industry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast