Quantcast
West side rec users - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: West side rec users

My Ride
    72 Virgins

Originally posted by acmilano
    its not really them using the weights that bothers me (cause as you said, i just use something else till their done anyway). its their attitude that bugs me the most. the mirrors are there to check your form, not to rub yourself and check out your friends.
    Point right at the group of boyfriends and start laughing hysterically.
    Originally posted by Spoons
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

I go to Killarney. Less than $5 admission not too crowded but it is also much smaller than westside maybe 12 people when it's most busy. More people on weekdays after work though. Membership is cheap too I think 1 month was $28 (minor) shouldn't be that much more if your 18+.
    Last edited by Shunsui; 03-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

I use the pool and the track with the odd weight machine.

No issues, and the eye candy makes a 1+ hr run less painful.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by davidI
    ^ Mommy and Daddy buy the memberships for kids in the Westsiiiiiide.

Unless it's changed, memberships for kids were $150 or something if their parent had a full membership. That's the only reason I ever worked out there...I could buy a cheap membership.
    Yah i had a cheap membership like 3-4years ago, I went there a few times, but it didn't feel like a gym, so I stopped going.

It's def way to packed there, if you want to actually work out you should try something else, if ur a student you can get a membership at MRU for the summer for $89ish
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Last edited by Ceebuser; 05-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

what's the basketball gym like on weeknights?? i need a quiet place to do shooting workouts
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    what's the basketball gym like on weeknights?? i need a quiet place to do shooting workouts
    Usually get the kids/teens playing ball, and it's only half gym right now, other half is badminton - don't know how it changes when the 2nd gym opens up.

But not as bad as that fucking NE gym we were at that one night, lol

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

That has always been the case. Too many posers who walk around chatting and trying to look cool. I hate these fucking new age metro gyms.

To me, a gym should: smell like sweat, blood and piss; have weights banged up from years of use; allow no cellphones; have heavy music or no music at all - no elevator crap; not only tolerate grunting from over-exertion but promote it (provided it's truly due to exerting oneself); have no fucking fitlinxx or other stupid electronics; have free weights, not machines; have squat racks, not smith machines; have a clientele of people who want to workout - not socialize.
    That sounds exactly what I go for. When I was in Halifax I trained crossfit there. THe gym was in the basement of a convenience store. There literally is blood stains on the floor, some of them mine. The smell is of chalkdust and sweat.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

If I ever have money I'd like to start a gym in Calgary like this one:

www.gymjones.com/

Completely unorthodox training, but very effective. Who doesn't want to do box jumps on a cat tire!? haha

My Ride
    72 Virgins

Completely unorthodox training, but very effective.
    Effective in what way?
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by G-Suede

Effective in what way?
    Depends on what you're training for. I think that's what makes them effective...they tailor the training to a goal. Flip through the site to see what I mean.

Most PTs I know think it's low-reps heavy weight to get big or strong, and hi-reps + cardio to lose weight or tone. There's a lot more to it than that!

My Ride
    72 Virgins

What I saw was a bunch of people doing some weird and supposedly hardcore shit. In the 20 or so pages of their gallery there wasn't anyone that I would consider "big" or "strong". People are lemmings, and this is yet another fine example of that fact.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by G-Suede
    What I saw was a bunch of people doing some weird and supposedly hardcore shit. In the 20 or so pages of their gallery there wasn't anyone that I would consider "big" or "strong". People are lemmings, and this is yet another fine example of that fact.
    If you actually read it, you'd realize that the goal of most people training there isn't "to be big". Most are athletes looking for strength and power. There are a few good photos of 8 week transformations that you won't see posted up at your usual gym.

As I said, unorthodox but effective unless your goal is simply to "be big" I guess - although I'd feel like a piece of shit if I had 20 pounds on a guy who was out lifting me. To each their own...

My Ride
    72 Virgins

You mentioned big and strong. I simply said that I didn't see either in the pictures on the site. Personally, I enjoy being strong and looking that way too. I'm not into the whole Michael Phelps look, but to each their own.

One hand overhead barbell press seems like a bright idea.

On another note what is with all the retards lately who do chin-ups using every single bit of momentum, leg lifting, and swinging possible?
    Last edited by G-Suede; 04-18-2010 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps doesn't train for "looks".

I also just mentioned big and strong in the context of the simple minded PT, but whatever, people can train however they'd like; it doesn't affect my results.

bumping an old thread,

for those that are here, what's it like now?

Still busy the last hour before closing?

What's the pool like? Can you actually swim laps or is it more a family play in the pool type thing? The 1 picture on their site doesn't really show anything
    J

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Mys73ri0
    bumping an old thread,

for those that are here, what's it like now?

Still busy the last hour before closing?

What's the pool like? Can you actually swim laps or is it more a family play in the pool type thing? The 1 picture on their site doesn't really show anything
    Nope, last hours and week nights are pretty quiet. Even more so when it's nice outside.

They just renovated the pool, they have specific lap times if you want dedicated lanes. The wave/lazy pool is usually where the kids/family hang out.

i'd also like more info on what it's like now.

with the new high school, is it filled with more high school kids?

I go mid-mornings so it's always fairly quiet. Just me, some old guys and lots of housewives. There's a separate area for teens and kids so not usually that crazy. Parking always sucks though. Even when the gym is quiet lots of people must be going for classes etc because the lot is always rammed.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

The number one thing about westside that pisses me off is the kids side has 3 Oly Platforms and the Adults side has 1......makes sense

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast