Quantcast
West side rec users - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: West side rec users

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Default West side rec users

Just seeing how many people on here use westside and when they workout. It seems as of recent the 5:30-7:00 time 80% of the people there are douche bags who spend more time talking and "hanging out" on the equipment then using it, and does anyone know if the expansion they are building will have another weight area?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

That has always been the case. Too many posers who walk around chatting and trying to look cool. I hate these fucking new age metro gyms.

To me, a gym should: smell like sweat, blood and piss; have weights banged up from years of use; allow no cellphones; have heavy music or no music at all - no elevator crap; not only tolerate grunting from over-exertion but promote it (provided it's truly due to exerting oneself); have no fucking fitlinxx or other stupid electronics; have free weights, not machines; have squat racks, not smith machines; have a clientele of people who want to workout - not socialize.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Yeah, I don't want to sound like a baby, but I hate when my workout loses its flow because three guys are taking turns of the bench and doing two reps each and talking for ten minutes in between. What other gyms are close to westside?

Originally posted by civicrider
    What other gyms are close to westside?
    ... my basement ...

heloc that shit

My Ride
    72 Virgins

Originally posted by civicrider
    Yeah, I don't want to sound like a baby, but I hate when my workout loses its flow because three guys are taking turns of the bench and doing two reps each and talking for ten minutes in between. What other gyms are close to westside?
    Jsut tell them to hurry the fuck up and train or take their broners elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Spoons
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

My Ride

Can you go earlier

I used to go around 10-11 AM. The squat racks and benches area would be empty and it was always packed with milfs in the cardio areas.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I wonder what it'll be like when the new high school opens.
    My buddy at work was bitching about the same thing but about the Y down in Shawnessy. Since the high school is attached, there are a ton of high school punks that go in groups of 10-12 and hoard all the equipment.

As far as other gyms, the closest is Good Life, Pro Bodies in Marda Loop, or Kilarney Pool. I can't say much about any of those since I haven't been to them. I just know of them because I'm looking around for gyms right now. I've kind of narrowed it down to either Westside or the Y.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I found that 5-7AM and then 8-10PM where the best times to go, there were never more than 5 people in the gym during these times. Goodlife in Shawnessy BTW.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

One of the reasons why I hate West Side. The place is run by suits and soccer moms that really just take up space. Aside from the poser chumps, the annual fee is expensive.

The only thing I like about West Side are the wonderful array of MILFs

Originally posted by davidI
    That has always been the case. Too many posers who walk around chatting and trying to look cool. I hate these fucking new age metro gyms.

To me, a gym should: smell like sweat, blood and piss; have weights banged up from years of use; allow no cellphones; have heavy music or no music at all - no elevator crap; not only tolerate grunting from over-exertion but promote it (provided it's truly due to exerting oneself); have no fucking fitlinxx or other stupid electronics; have free weights, not machines; have squat racks, not smith machines; have a clientele of people who want to workout - not socialize.
    This.

Fitlinx is fcuking retarded and it annoys me when people use the machines while talking on their cell phones. And what's the deal with the $1000 memberships? You just get a nice, plush locker room?
    Last edited by JordanEG6; 03-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

^ plus towel service, "private" sauna/steam rooms, and a lounge area. All 18+ so no kids.

In the morning is the best time and during dinner time.

As for the high school opening up, I don't think it'll be full of high school kids unless they get a deal. It's an expensive place to work out.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ Mommy and Daddy buy the memberships for kids in the Westsiiiiiide.

Unless it's changed, memberships for kids were $150 or something if their parent had a full membership. That's the only reason I ever worked out there...I could buy a cheap membership.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by davidI

If you want this, go to Remington's Gym off Centre Street and 16th ave.

My Ride
    This and that.

I go to Westside and I totally agree. Especially that time so man db's 'working out'. Do a set, drink a little water, talk to the girls 'running' on track for a little bit and do another set. Fuckin pisses me off and some chicks are so much worse. It's like a hangout spot, walkin with a buddy with one headphone in your ear and other in your friends. Like seriously? This is a fucking gym.

And those fucktards that show up with their gf's or whatever, like do you really you have to walk around holding her fucking hand? Is she going to run away or something? Or do you have to show your 'affections' in the fucking gym out of all places? Pisses the shit out of me.

I am gonna try and start going earlier during the day cause going around 6.30-7.30 is just way too fucking annoying now. And it wasn't so bad like even a year or so ago.

Westside is not a gym, its a rec center. If you want a hardcore gym where everyone is grunting and slamming back protein shakes, etc etc look elsewhere.
    ---

I didnt renew my membership , the place is way to crowded , and it never felt like a gym!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by kenny
    Westside is not a gym, its a rec center. If you want a hardcore gym where everyone is grunting and slamming back protein shakes, etc etc look elsewhere.
    Lindsay Park (Talisman still?) is a rec center and its gym always had a good feel when I went. It smelled like sweat, not Polo Sport Cologne.

My Ride
    72 Virgins

BJ's Gym. I used to see a lot of the Stampede and WWF wrestlers train there back in the day.

For you guys complaining about Westside, just tell the fucktards to hurry up and get out of the way. When they meander off to talk on their cellphones, hold hands with their boyfriends or whatever, start loading up the plates. If they complain smile, turn your back, and keep lifting. They'll get the point after being cussed out a few times.
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

Originally posted by kenny
    +1

Even though i agree with most of the people here, you can't really expect more from west side. its located in the suburbs and is run by soccer moms. they're mainly a family oriented facility anyway.

that being said, it wasn't this pompous in its earlier days. about 5 years ago it actually had a few bodybuilders that came in, and there were also much less kids walking around (it was still packed with cougars/milfs though)

the one thing that frustrates me the most at westside is:

-the 16yr old guys that walk in with about 4-5 other buddies
    -take up 3 or 4 sets of dumbbells
    -work each set for about 30 seconds, and then the big kicker; they stand there flexing for each other while at the same time rubbing their non-existent biceps/abs. oh and they also weigh about 120 pounds and wear wife beaters.

anyway that's my 2 cents.

My Ride
    72 Virgins

^ Just go and take the weights they aren't using. What are they going to do about it? Go rat you out? Who cares.

its not really them using the weights that bothers me (cause as you said, i just use something else till their done anyway). its their attitude that bugs me the most. the mirrors are there to check your form, not to rub yourself and check out your friends.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast