Quantcast
Expedia Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Expedia Question

My Ride
    TSX

Default Expedia Question

I'm looking to book a vacation through Expedia which includes Flight, Hotel and Car Rental.

For those who have booked with Expedia, have there been any unexpected charges after you've booked and paid?

I use to work with a car rental company and everyone who booked through Expedia for them ended up with service charges because they weren't included in Expedia's quote.

JUST did this. No unexpected charges, its pretty well disclosed. I haven't been on the trip yet though, so I can't speak for how everything will turn out.

The price can change by the minute though, so after you book it might alert you of a price change and give you an opportunity to cancel. Mine went up $150 when I clicked book, but it alerted me and I had the option to back out if I wanted. Nothing unexpected.

US airlines charge for checked baggage, and car rental places charge extra $25/day or so if your under 25.

It specifically said the car rental includes all fees & unlimited mileage.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-25-2010 at 10:57 PM.

I used them for hotel only before, there were no hidden charges. haven't done a complete trip through them though

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by 88jbody
    I used them for hotel only before, there were no hidden charges. haven't done a complete trip through them though
    I've used them for hotel and flights, no hidden/surprise charges.

I ended up staying at the hotel for so long (using Expedia), the manager just said they'll give me that rate (so they don't have to pay the percentage/commission, lol) and then they even gave me a King suite at that Expedia rate (but had me bypassed Expedia)

So I didn't get any tickets with my flight, and Expedia says I just have "e-tickets" and won't be getting anything on paper. I have confirmation numbers for the airlines though, so do I just go to the ticket desk and give them that? Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks, never done this before with Expedia.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So I didn't get any tickets with my flight, and Expedia says I just have "e-tickets" and won't be getting anything on paper. I have confirmation numbers for the airlines though, so do I just go to the ticket desk and give them that? Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks, never done this before with Expedia.
    Log on to your airline 24hrs prior to your flight and enter the flight numbers. You can then print off your ticket from the site.

Or you can just show them your expedia confirmation.

But if you want to reserve a seat you must logon to the airline. You may have to call depending on the airline to do the reservation portion. Sometimes Expedia gives the wrong confirmation number for doing the reservations.

Default Re: Expedia Question

Originally posted by Speed_69
    I'm looking to book a vacation through Expedia which includes Flight, Hotel and Car Rental.

For those who have booked with Expedia, have there been any unexpected charges after you've booked and paid?

I use to work with a car rental company and everyone who booked through Expedia for them ended up with service charges because they weren't included in Expedia's quote.
    Booked with expedia a few times (never car rental) and never had any additional fees.

My Ride
    MiniCooperS

if you are just planning to book the hotel through expedia, i recommend to call the hotel and ask them to price match expedia.

a lot of hotels will match it because they dont have to pay commission. and the bright side is you can change reservations with the hotel directly.

Expedia's room rate is so low that the front desk wiill never give any upgrade or perferences. any changes on the reference have to go through expedia as well.

otherwise, i find them better than other travel booking sites.

My Ride
    Cayman

I have booked 6 trips ( air & hotel ) and I have never had any additional fees.

btw some times it is alot cheaper to rent a car through the car rental company directly. I rented a mazda 6 for a week in Palm Springs for $90 cheaper then Expedia.

I don't need to reserve seats but I do leave in less than 24 hours so I'll check that out. Thanks!

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Yep booked through expedia many times for flight, hotel and cars ( recently a trip to vegas). No hidden fees.

Usually cheaper to book a car directly from the rental company but one time I managed to find a "expedia only" rate with Budget on expedia that was > 50% cheaper than from the car company website ( it was high season. $60/day everywhere and somehow Expedia has a special rate of ~$30/day, only through their website.. not even on budget.ca itself)

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

priceline.com for a hotel
    hotwire.com for a car
    and Orbitz, flightcenter, or kayak for the flight.

I can guarantee you that it will come out 1/3 off the price of expedia.

Price line has the best deals for all three, but when you try to combine them all together you get a expedia type rate. you have to choose one of the three in order to get the best deal. Even attempting to book separately will give you the expedia rate.

You need to have some one with a different CC and a different IP address to get it all through priceline. also you can only do flights from the US.

good luck.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    hotwire.com for a car

Price line has the best deals for all three, but when you try to combine them all together you get a expedia type rate. you have to choose one of the three in order to get the best deal. Even attempting to book separately will give you the expedia rate.

You need to have some one with a different CC and a different IP address to get it all through priceline. also you can only do flights from the US.

good luck.
    Funny, I have tried all of those sites and have never gotten better rates then I did from expedia. Probably depends on time and where you go and what not as well though.

I have booked many times through expedia and never been charged extra fees. As mentioned though I always book rental cars straight through the company since it always comes out cheaper.

My only thing with expedia is once you have your confirmations for all flights and hotels it's a good idea to call them up to make sure they have your reservation and it all the bonus stuff you are suppose to get are remarked on your account. I have had family have this problem them spend hours on hold with expedia trying to clear it up and never being able to.

For the car rental, when I looked, it was less than half the price booking with Expedia rather than through the rental car companies' websites.

My Ride
    Lexus

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    hotwire.com for a car

good luck.
    i second priceline for hotels. Just got back from 3 weeks in california. Average i paid $60 with tax/night( all 3 star hotels).