East Indian Food - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: East Indian Food

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

.. Good food , slow ass service , but whatever lol
    We've always had good service at Namskar -- probably luck of the draw

My Ride
    '11 Civic

Clay Oven was terrible the last time I went there. Waited 20 mins to order and then waited another 45 for food. We only ordered butter chicken, beef vindaloo and some naan. I was a fan of it before but not after this last experience.

I'll have to give mirch masala a try since that's 5 mins away from my house.
    Everything I'm not made me everything I am...

Check out this place on 130th Ave S.E.. I think it's called Karma and they make a mad beef vinadloo.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Gorilla
    mad beef vinadloo.
    Bovine spongiform encephalopathy vindaloo? Sounds intriguing...
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

+1 for Namskar... they have an awesome lunch buffet too!

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Originally posted by R!zz0
    Half the Indian restaurant suck in Calgary.
    The one i go to is Mirch Masala:: 3-3735 Rundlehorn Drive NE.
    Best place EVER!

I'm all about the Clay Oven for their lunch buffet. Best Naan, butter chicken and rice pudding ever!!

Nawab is good as well.

I think the biggest thing with indian food is that the spices that make up the 'same' dish vary so greatly it makes it very hard to compare. When you read reviews of places on-line, you see people comment that 'this place is not authentic - not like the food I had when I was in India. or not like what my parents/friends/neighbours/etc make". That doesn't make it a bad restaurant, just a different variation of the dish.
    Try out a few places - see whose spices you like and go from there!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by core_upt
    I'm all about the Clay Oven for their lunch buffet. Best Naan, butter chicken and rice pudding ever!!
    +1

I go there when I'm at work, and remember to leave for lunch early... no way you're getting a seat between noon and 12:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Check out this place on 130th Ave S.E.. I think it's called Karma and they make a mad beef vinadloo.

great service great food

I ate at Namskar today, its twice the price of any other indian restaurant ive been to, and the food was pretty ok.

The naan was undercooked imo, too soft and doughy, I like it a bit more brown and crispy.

Butter chicken wasn't as spicy as I am used to, although this will be in my favor come tomorrow morning.

Rice was undercooked and dry.

Chicken was also a bit dry, but overall it was'ok'
    Chicken pieces were actually too big, sounds odd, but I prefer smaller pieces that seem to be more moist than the larger ones.

It's only one encounter, but It seems like you pay all the extra money for the service and atmosphere of the place rather than the food quality.

One thing I will say, I ate at 630 and its 930 and I can't even think about food right now I'm so full, holy crap the portions were massive.
    3 meals worth.
    Last edited by King Banana; 03-10-2010 at 10:37 PM.

I ate at Namskar not too long ago. It was my first real experience at East Indian food. I really enjoyed the buttered chicken; didn't find it too dry the Naan was crispy but the rice did seem dry. I also had another dish which included lamb and shrimp from what I could remember it wasn't the greatest.

The service was on the slower side, and they didn't come by often. Also, it was my first time there, and I didn't know what to expect but the smell and spices really stick to your clothing and hair so don't expect to go out afterward.

Pretty good food and experience though, I'd give Namskar another try in teh near future.

Edit:

I posted above that Namskar was the first EI restaurant I tried. That's actually a lie. I just remembered a long while ago when I was still in high school I tried Muraya (sp?) on Kensington, we did the lunch buffet and it was really good. Especially the rice pudding.
    Last edited by signature7; 03-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

Mirchi > *

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by D. Dub

We've always had good service at Namskar -- probably luck of the draw
    Man Indian food is like Pho... Everyone just seems to have their own preference. My opinion of Namskar is that it's overpriced shit for whitties. Mind you I am no EI but the only brown people I've ever seen in there are the ones serving. And I think Namskar tastes like shit, especially the butter chicken.

IMHO the best ones I've been to are Spice Hut in Huntington Plaza and Tandoori House on Edmonton Trail by Diner Deluxe. The former is awesome for take out cause I swear their portions are much larger. Get the fish pakora, the chicken tika masala, and the butter prawns. Beef madras also tops my list. Be prepared for some of the nastiest farts and shits you'll have for the next 2 days.

For the latter, eating in is a total ghetto experience. Not sure if it's changed but last time I ate there, they served you on disposable plates and utensils. In any case, ghetto usually = good food.

Prior to these, I'd say my fave was moti mahal on 14th st if still there...

My 2 cents.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by core_upt

Food. BUFFET. Rice Pudding.

Must go now!

Cant wait to try this place.

My Ride
    shoppin cart

do u have to make reservations at clay?

My Ride
    '06 BMW 325xi

I know a few good ones, Baba ka Dhaba is pretty ghetto but the food is good except for the fact that after you eat there when you are taking a shit for the new couple of days your asshole is gonna burn like someone installed a blow torch underneath your toilet seat, Wattan Restaurant on memorial I believe is owned now by the same owners but you can sit comfortably as there is more room.

But my favorite has to be Kabab Hut, it is by far the best I've been to and I've been to a few, it's right beside AutoDream. I don't know if they have buffets but their kababs and chicken curry are very good.

I used to go to this place on 12 ave and 8 st in downtown across from the safeway, it used to be called Lahore Tikka but now it's called Mirchi, they used to be good when they were ghetto (curry stained chairs, broken tables, flies everywhere, some men after eating, rubbing their oily hands on their beards, etc) but now they turn that shit into a nice looking place but the food isn't the same and the price is almost doubled.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Im addicted to this place... had it last night. We had butter chicken, coconut chicken saphron rice, coconut rice and 2 orders of naan for 40$... service is great and food value is pretty good.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

What do people think about Royal India in Sunlife Plaza? I've only ever been there for their lunch buffet and I'm no EI food connoiseur so I have no idea if they good, authentic, etc. Food was okay as I still have to acquire a desire for EI food. When I was there though and mind you this is during lunch in white downtown Calgary so I would say there was a 1:10 EI vs other ratio. Servers obviously excluded Just wondering if people who wanted EI food would even consider going there.

I also don't like buffets as they are not always respresentative of what the true quality could be. I've been to enough chinese buffets to know that the items available are not representative of chinese cuisine. It's basically pigs to the slop! LOL!

i like moti mahal on 17th.

another place i like is tifin right near china rose (recommended to me by EK 2.0, so it must be good )

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy vindaloo? Sounds intriguing...
    This made me laugh for some reason
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast