Quantcast
Fake Core i7 920 CPU ! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Fake Core i7 920 CPU !

My Ride
    Audi

Default Fake Core i7 920 CPU !

You guys all remember that fake USB key right? The one where they cut off a usb cable and inserted it inside a case?

Here's a fake cpu that was sold by Newegg to someone in the US:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...ake_intel_cpus

oh wow..........

My Ride
    anything that comes along

lol I don't even know why Newegg is that popular, I went through the site so many times because everyone says it is so cheap and almost everything on there can be bought from local computer shops for the same price or less and I don't have to wait for it in the mail, risk it getting lost/damaged or as it seems now get sent nothing but a fake processor by mistake.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Looks legit

(j/k)

My Ride
    Audi

In their defense - at first glance the boxes look legit.

All computer shops source cpus from a variety of sources. Customers constantly push for lowest prices so a lot of computer shops aggresively shop around at these suppliers for the lowest costs.

They just got fucked by IPEX (one of their suppliers). This could've EASILY happened to anyone else.

Newegg owned up to it and replaced the fake cpus for customers who bought them. They'll now have to go back to ipex and try to get their $$ back.

"Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg’s top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident."

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by derpderp
    lol I don't even know why Newegg is that popular, I went through the site so many times because everyone says it is so cheap and almost everything on there can be bought from local computer shops for the same price or less and I don't have to wait for it in the mail, risk it getting lost/damaged or as it seems now get sent nothing but a fake processor by mistake.
    I personally order from newegg often, because they have a selection of stuff that no local distributer has. Maybe the stuff I order is too hardcore? Most of the stuff I get is server enclosures and the like, RAID card ect. For example, the raid card I got was $1200 shipped from Newegg, Memoryexpress wanted $1800 special order

My Ride

Originally posted by eblend

I personally order from newegg often, because they have a selection of stuff that no local distributer has. Maybe the stuff I order is too hardcore? Most of the stuff I get is server enclosures and the like, RAID card ect. For example, the raid card I got was $1200 shipped from Newegg, Memoryexpress wanted $1800 special order
    Ah ok, that makes more sense, I can see how that works for rare products.

My Ride
    Axis powers

i like the fan the most
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by adam c
    i like the fan the most
    or the crooked cpu? haha They didn't even cut the edges straight.

My Ride
    TDI

I'm waiting for the story of some idiot that put that in their motherboard and fried it.

My Ride

Originally posted by megavolt
    I'm waiting for the story of some idiot that put that in their motherboard and fried it.
    I should do that, then sue.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I dunno, with the spelling of <i>sochet</i> on the box who would have known just from inspecting the box....
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Depends

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by eblend

Yep. You'll be surprised how much stuff MemX doesn't carry or want a HUGE premium for them.

But that's normal. In the grand scheme of e-retailers, MemX is pretty small and can't afford or able to carry rare stuff.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Xtrema

Yep. You'll be surprised how much stuff MemX doesn't carry or want a HUGE premium for them.

But that's normal. In the grand scheme of e-retailers, MemX is pretty small and can't afford or able to carry rare stuff.
    keep in mind - memx is primarily a brick / mortar store and the cost to physically stock everything. Most of their major competitors out there are more etailers. A lot of them don't actually physically stock significant amounts of inventory. They leverage their supplier as their warehouse (ie: techdata / ingram micro) and list it as their "warehouse".

My Ride
    Bicycle

^ good point.

My Ride
    W204

Haha this doesn't show the cleverness of the "Factory Sealed" sticker:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=636484
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!