Quantcast
Apple Mail with Telus e-mail account - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Apple Mail with Telus e-mail account

Default Apple Mail with Telus e-mail account

So I bought my mother a Mac Mini, her main computer uses right now are browsing websites and e-mail.

On her old windows computer, she used Outlook for her e-mails.

So I start up the Mac and try and set up Mail for her. It doesn't work, so I call apple care and they tell me to call telus to get some info before calling them again.

The telus tech was very nice and friendly and did everything she could think of to help me out. She even remotely went onto the mac and tried to set it up. We would do test e-mails and get some of them on imap, but we did other test e-mails and it wouldn't go through, so we tried using .pop and same thing.

Now I go to my moms old comouter and all the test messages are received.

Question for beyonders.

1.Do I have to delete the current outlook account for mail to work? If I delete the account, will it delete all of my mothers previous messages?

2.What is the best way to save those messages and bring them into Mail? I would think forwarding them to my moms e-mail would work, but if I have to delete the current account for outlook then i couldn't do that, so would I have to forward them to my e-mail then forward them back to my mom if her account gets set up on Mail.

This is a real pain, as I don't use mail or outlook but it's one of my mothers few uses for a computer.

If anyone could help, i'd gladly give you a gift card to a eatery or free gas for 25.00 dollars.

Even if they could just get the telus email to work normally (which means sending and receiving e-mails on mail and I could figure out the rest later.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    is an Experience.

I'm not too familier with Aple Mail or Outlook, but if her old computer is on all the time and setup for the email, you may want to check Outlooks settings for leaving a copy of the message on the mail server, as by default it will pull the email from it, so if Apple Mail is going in and checking the mailbox after Outlook has, it won't find anything.

If I remember correctly, you go to Tools > Email Accounts > Change > Settings > Advanced Tab, then there is something there to leave a copy of the message on the mailbox.

Thanks Danny,

It seems like that has happened. I will check when I get home. What I did in the mean time, was told her to turn off her old computer when she was using her new one. I finally had some progress. It started to work on Entourage, where she could receive and send e-mails.

Now I am in the process of figuring out an efficient way of bringing messages over. Then, I can just take that account out all together off of the old comp.

My Ride
    is an Experience.

Awesome, glad I can help, have no idea how to transfer the emails though, maybe some kind of export/import method, like you can do with bookmarks in browsers.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

if need be, she can always goto webmail.telus.net and log in there and her messages should be there as well.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Default Re: Apple Mail with Telus e-mail account

Originally posted by signature7
    So I bought my mother a Mac Mini, her main computer uses right now are browsing websites and e-mail.

On her old windows computer, she used Outlook for her e-mails.

So I start up the Mac and try and set up Mail for her. It doesn't work, so I call apple care and they tell me to call telus to get some info before calling them again.

The telus tech was very nice and friendly and did everything she could think of to help me out. She even remotely went onto the mac and tried to set it up. We would do test e-mails and get some of them on imap, but we did other test e-mails and it wouldn't go through, so we tried using .pop and same thing.

Now I go to my moms old comouter and all the test messages are received.

Question for beyonders.

1.Do I have to delete the current outlook account for mail to work? If I delete the account, will it delete all of my mothers previous messages?

2.What is the best way to save those messages and bring them into Mail? I would think forwarding them to my moms e-mail would work, but if I have to delete the current account for outlook then i couldn't do that, so would I have to forward them to my e-mail then forward them back to my mom if her account gets set up on Mail.

This is a real pain, as I don't use mail or outlook but it's one of my mothers few uses for a computer.

If anyone could help, i'd gladly give you a gift card to a eatery or free gas for 25.00 dollars.

Even if they could just get the telus email to work normally (which means sending and receiving e-mails on mail and I could figure out the rest later.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
    I recommend Thunderbird (Mozilla) for Mac. Works great and it is very easy to setup and use, not to mention, it is free.

Originally posted by spikers
    if need be, she can always goto webmail.telus.net and log in there and her messages should be there as well.
    That's the thing, I am not sure why but when we log on there, there's zero messages on webmail.telus.net but 100s on outlook.

I don't use outlook or any 3rd party program, just webmail. Oh well, it's working pretty good on her new mac. At her rate, she'll never ever need a new computer again. All she ever does is e-mail the same few people and browse literally the same 4 sites.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by signature7

That's the thing, I am not sure why but when we log on there, there's zero messages on webmail.telus.net but 100s on outlook.

I don't use outlook or any 3rd party program, just webmail. Oh well, it's working pretty good on her new mac. At her rate, she'll never ever need a new computer again. All she ever does is e-mail the same few people and browse literally the same 4 sites.
    then the issue is outlook. do what dannyO said, and configure outlook to leave a copy on the server, and the webmail box will start to keep messages, and thus allowing other mail clients the ability to grab a copy as well.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikers

then the issue is outlook. do what dannyO said, and configure outlook to leave a copy on the server, and the webmail box will start to keep messages, and thus allowing other mail clients the ability to grab a copy as well.
    I will check the next time I am free and around my folks place. I will be damned if I try to get my mom to do it over the phone LOL... Spikers, would you happen to know if her previous messages will come back once I configure outlook to leave a copy on the server. Or will it be only after I configure then her new messages will be kept on the server? I am thinking the latter but I just want to check.

Thanks.