Quantcast
Going away for University vs Staying near home - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Going away for University vs Staying near home

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Default Going away for University vs Staying near home

Hey guys,

Currently I'm weighing the pros and cons of going somewhere outside Calgary for University (UBC, U of A, etc) versus staying in Calgary...either living at home or moving into residence. But I'd love some insight from some of you, personal experience and all that.

So:

If you went to another city to go to university...do you regret it?
    If you stayed home for University...do you regret that?

I might just have to apply and see who will accept me. Moving away could be fun, but there is always the comfort in being close to home and all that.

My questions seem vague I know, but I wasn't really sure how to pose a question like this.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    GTI

I stayed home and regret it.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by Hakkola

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

x2. Financially it was the best decision but sometimes that isn't always the most important thing to keep in mind.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I stayed at home and think it was the right choice for me.

Going away for university makes having relationships hard from what I have seen. They both have their pros and cons, and everyone is kind of different on what they are urging to do.

Another thing you should look at is where your going to have the best opportunities to do what you want to do job wise. Ie. if your doing Chemical or Oil and Gas Engineering, it may be easier to make connections and have better job prospects in Calgary. Same goes for Earth Sciences. However if you want to do Marine Biology, maybe UBC might be a good bet. Software Engineering, maybe UOT? I know that for Medicine, residents of Saskatchewan have a easier time getting in, so doing an Undergraduate there may not be bad idea.

Another thing for me was that I really enjoy (98% of the time) living with my parents. Everyone in the house gets along pretty well, and I have a large amount of space for myself so I have my privacy.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 03-15-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Went away and didn't regret it (30 years ago), but then again I lived in a small rural Alberta town of around 100 people and nearest decent secondary education was over a 2 hour drive away.

That all said, if you have a great relationship with your parents and can easily live under their roof (and their rules), then why not take advantage of whatever financial gains that might afford you for the several years you'll be in college/trade school/university.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

GTFO of the city, experience new things, leave your comfort level, live on your own!

Your University experience will be 10 times better then it would be staying at home.
    (Granted you get out, meet new friends and have a good time)

For the most part uni classes are BS.... its the experience of it all that matters more in the long run.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Stayed here, regretted. Although I have a nicer lifestyle here; own apartment, own car, decent part time job. That makes it a bit more tolerable but I still wish I went to Waterloo.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

+1

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I went to Ontario and I regret it. If I had the chance to do it again, I'd go abroad for sure.

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

There are tradeoffs to each option.

I stayed at home from school and worked 20/hrs per week while doing my degree. As soon as I was finished I put a downpayment on a house that has now increased substantially in value over the past 6 months.

On the other hand, if you go away you'll get a great experience in a new city and meet tons of new people (although you will still meet a lot of new people at a local university).

If you live at home while you go to school you save: 800 per month I would guess (groceries and rent) x 44 months (length of degree program including 3 summers) =$35,200

In my opinion you would get far more "life experience" by going to a local U. and spending that $30,000+ travelling the world than you would by living in a different city for a few years.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Get the hell out of Calgary!

I went and lived in the shittiest city in Canada (Hamilton) for 4 years while doing a seemingly worthless Material's Engineering degree.

Had an absolute blast, learned to live on my own, met a whole bunch of amazing people, and experienced an unreal amount of freedom. Near the end of each semester I would be a little homesick but that's what makes coming back so much better.

As for getting a job, I got mine 3 months after I graduated in Oil and Gas. I had a 64% average and enjoyed life way more than studied hard.

Get out there, and enjoy yourself!!

My Ride

Yah man, i went highschool>sait>work, i make a shit ton of money for a 22 year old, but regret it EVERY day. Everyyyyyyyyy singggllllleeeeee dayyyyyyyyy.

My Ride
    impreza

Last edited by mac_82; 01-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

I stayed in Calgary. Although I really don't like Calgary that much it was by far worth it to live in my parents house and have a nice place to live, free meals etc. I've seen the size of the rooms at residence (@ uofc) and they are tiny, I just can't imagine living in those kind of conditions.

If you're going to be living with your parents in Calgary, I would say stay here.
    If you are going to be living on your own/in residence anyways, I would say you might as well go somewhere else.

I should add though, I'm not really the type of person who lives to party and get drunk every weekend. Sure I enjoy drinking, but my idea of a fun weekend is heading out to the mountains and doing some snowboarding/downhill mtbing/camping etc.
    If I had lived in residence somewhere I probably wouldn't have been able to afford any of that, let alone a vehicle to drive to the mtns.

So I guess it depends on you. Everyone in this thread is saying get out and enjoy life. Well if sitting around and getting drunk every weekend is your idea of fun, then it might be a good idea to move away. But for me personally, my idea of fun is alot more than that, and I'm glad I lived at home because I got the opportunity to do alot of fun stuff that I just wouldn't be able to afford while living on my own.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by a social dsease

So I guess it depends on you. Everyone in this thread is saying get out and enjoy life. Well if sitting around and getting drunk every weekend is your idea of fun, then it might be a good idea to move away. But for me personally, my idea of fun is alot more than that, and I'm glad I lived at home because I got the opportunity to do alot of fun stuff that I just wouldn't be able to afford while living on my own.
    100% agree. I actually did have to move to Edmonton for the past two years to attend NAIT, but thats only 1.5 hours from home (Red Deer). My hobby takes me all over north america, and I party when I am travelling. I don't go get drunk every weekend to have a good time (just not my thing).

I also try to think forward (financially) as much as possible, as (time and time again) it holds true that the sooner you start to manage your money, the better off you'll be. I don't think you can go wrong either way, I'd first and foremost go to a school that offers the best of what you need in an education that you will actually appreciate, and just go!

Im still in school at U of C and i stayed home throughout... it makes things a lot less stressful IMO because you dont need to worry about money as much or about working full time...

Ill probably end up going away for law school though.

My Ride
    NC1

Like most things, probably will come down to money.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast