Quantcast
WestJet CEO resigns - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WestJet CEO resigns

My Ride
    72 Virgins

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Anything more to say or do you express yourself with the use of cartoons? As I stated what I've heard is hearsay, I don't work for WJ nor have I ever.
    Your ridiculous post wasn't worthy of anything more.
    Originally posted by Spoons
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Compared to AC, Euro and Asian airlines yes, compared to US airlines no.
    With WestJet's fleet age at 5.1 years, you will be hard pressed to find many carriers that have a better figure. AC doesn't even come close... hell, a sizeable chunk of their fleet is 20+ years old already.

Singapore Airlines, one of the world's premiere carriers renowned for their modern aircraft, is at 6.7 years and that's solely due to the fact they just recently retired their old A310s & portion of their older B744s.

WestJet is known for having one of the world's most modern fleets for a reason... it's true!

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I never understand the "they have old planes" comment.

Aircraft are much different than automobiles.

if the maintenance schedule of an aircraft applied to cars, no one here, including the beyond ballers, could afford to own a car.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by G-Suede

Your ridiculous post wasn't worthy of anything more.
    Care to add anything more since apparently youre a WJ expert.

My Ride
    Bicycle

CEO always "resigns" but if he doesn't stay with the company and doesn't land anywhere next, 99% say that he's fired.

It's not surprising when you have 2 failed launches of booking system in his tenure.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by scat19
    I never understand the "they have old planes" comment.

Aircraft are much different than automobiles.

if the maintenance schedule of an aircraft applied to cars, no one here, including the beyond ballers, could afford to own a car.

Imagine having to have your car taken completely apart every 2 years and checked for corrosion?

You can't judge a plane by it's age in "years", it's all about total air time, and total air cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

^ Exactly. The days of WestJet's high cycle, cramped, loud & smoky 737-200s are long behind them with the last airframe retired in 2005...

..and hey, those aircraft made WestJet into the company they are today... so they did their part too.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by masoncgy

With WestJet's fleet age at 5.1 years, you will be hard pressed to find many carriers that have a better figure. AC doesn't even come close... hell, a sizeable chunk of their fleet is 20+ years old already.

Singapore Airlines, one of the world's premiere carriers renowned for their modern aircraft, is at 6.7 years and that's solely due to the fact they just recently retired their old A310s & portion of their older B744s.

WestJet is known for having one of the world's most modern fleets for a reason... it's true!
    Sizeable chunk? I'd say that much of Air Canada's fleet consists of aircraft models that wern't even in production 20 years ago (E175/E190, A321/A330, B777...). Are all of their B767s and A320s 20+ years old?

I haven't really heard of aircraft age being that much of a concern as long as they're properly maintained. Plenty of air crashes have occured with commercial aircraft that were almost brand new....

EDIT: well I found this (Air Canada's fleet age by aircraft type).

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Air%20Canada.htm

Doesn't seem like much cause for concern. Here's American Airlines for comparison (didn't realize the MD-80 is still being so heavily utilized...)

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/A...20Airlines.htm

AC has about 20 aircraft (mixed 767-300 & A320) that are 1990 & prior builds... that's still 10% of the fleet.

You're right... maintenance is the key to longevity... that's why WestJet was so successful in utilizing 35+ year old aircraft during their early years without much in the way of significant incidents... they were well maintained.

I believe Delta has one of the oldest fleets around for a major... swallowing up Northwest meant taking on a plethora of ancient aircraft (ie: DC-9s).

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

AC has about 20 aircraft (mixed 767-300 & A320) that are 1990 & prior builds... that's still 10% of the fleet.

You're right... maintenance is the key to longevity... that's why WestJet was so successful in utilizing 35+ year old aircraft during their early years without much in the way of significant incidents... they were well maintained.

I believe Delta has one of the oldest fleets around for a major... swallowing up Northwest meant taking on a plethora of ancient aircraft (ie: DC-9s).
    While I would agree that now the planes are very well maintained (bro in law is a mechanic for WJ), I have stories of the early days that would have you rolling. Westjet was suspended back then for shoddy record keeping of their maintenance books.

They started with the old Boeings because they were cheap (they paid cash for them) and parts were plentiful. An awesome business model that got Westtjet to where they are today.

WestJet has old planes? That's why they are noted as having the most modern fleet in North America?

Companies grow & evolve... of course it's not going to be the same happy-go-lucky airline it was 10+ years ago... things change.

It's still one of Canada's most desirable places to work too. Durfy was highly regarded at WestJet and handled the reigns well.
    Nice to see all the Westjet Fanboys come out. Westjet has the most modern fleet in North America? Um, no, not even in Canada. Porter Air 1.4 years, Westjet 5.8, Air Canada 9.8.

But I would have to agree with tik-tok, when it gets inspected every 2 years the age really doesn't matter.

Durfy may have been well regarded at Westjet but some things have gone bad during his watch, namely the reservation system.
    Coincidentally I think it was Mark Hill who "took some time out to be with his family" shortly before Westjet was convicted of corporate espionage. It's a common term. Basically says "the tribe has spoken".
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    03 Civic

Originally posted by Cos

FYI...his mom could very well be a Director at WestJet. I think you're confusing the Board of Directors with actual Directors...people who are in charge of certain departments.

EVP>VP>Directors>Managers

Edit:

Just as an aside, Sean and the entire EVP are a genuine bunch of people who have unique set of leadership skills. The reason why its such big news is because Sean never let his position at the helm of the company prevent him from interacting with everyone around. He never had a chip on his shoulder and had time for everyone...from baggage to call centre agents.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons he'll be missed...his style of leadership is unparalleled in any industry. Quite frankly the camaraderie shared by the staff is a source of envy for any organization - especially those who are attempting to instill culture as a defining pillar.

There have been challenges with respect to the new Rez system...but historically for a company to have its 19th straight quarter of profitability along with being in black for 54 out of 56 quarters is a testament to sound business practice. Especially when the aviation industry has been the biggest capital killer known to investors...

Will they get it perfect every time? Probably not...but they certainly try.
    Last edited by Qeeb; 03-17-2010 at 12:39 AM.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by Gainsbarre
    Doesn't seem like much cause for concern. Here's American Airlines for comparison (didn't realize the MD-80 is still being so heavily utilized...)

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/A...20Airlines.htm
    I think you'll find most of the AA MD-80s are mostly cargo service, AFAIK.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by 97'Scort

I think you'll find most of the AA MD-80s are mostly cargo service, AFAIK.

AA doesn't have any dedicated cargo aircraft.
    The MD-80's are all pax aircraft.
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

Originally posted by 71/454

Nice to see all the Westjet Fanboys come out. Westjet has the most modern fleet in North America? Um, no, not even in Canada. Porter Air 1.4 years, Westjet 5.8, Air Canada 9.8.

But I would have to agree with tik-tok, when it gets inspected every 2 years the age really doesn't matter.

Durfy may have been well regarded at Westjet but some things have gone bad during his watch, namely the reservation system.
    Coincidentally I think it was Mark Hill who "took some time out to be with his family" shortly before Westjet was convicted of corporate espionage. It's a common term. Basically says "the tribe has spoken".

Porter air serves all of like 12 destinations with 70 seater planes. Hardly a comparison when you consider westjet serves 69 destinations in much larger and therefore more expensive aircraft. So I think its safe to say westjet has the most modern fleet in canada when you're looking to fly somewhere that isn't mont tremblant from toronto city airport via a ferry haha.

Funny enough, Mark Hill was a family friend prior to his scandal. we'd get kick ass gift baskets from his family during christmas. He may have pulled some dirty tricks and lost his job, but believe me he is living a life than most of us can only dream about! As far as his family issues are concerned, you're right about it being a common term, because him and the entire family are living it up on the beaches of costa rica 365 a year! No issues there haha

Originally posted by Qeeb

FYI...his mom could very well be a Director at WestJet. I think you're confusing the Board of Directors with actual Directors...people who are in charge of certain departments.

Then why did he edit his post right after.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2