Quantcast
+1 for screaming paintworks and Spy design Okotoks. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: +1 for screaming paintworks and Spy design Okotoks.

Default +1 for screaming paintworks and Spy design Okotoks.

Did a bunch of city driving on my new vehicle and I guess I hit a lot of gravel and rock spray around town during our heavy winter. Not even 5,000 kms on the odometer; I had to get parts repainted.

Dave and his brother at Screaming paintworks did an immaculate job. I will always bring my painting needs to their business. He said he didn't understand how I could get that much paint damage in the time that I have had my vehicle, I couldn't either as my previous vehicles or any vehicles in my family never had a problem.

After learning my lesson; I took a page out of the rage2 handbook and brought my car to Alex at Spy design in Okotoks to get a full body wrap. He recommended using Durashield, he also recommended a windshield protector which is like a clear wrap that protects the windshield from rock chips ect. I have never heard of such a product but I thought it wouldn't hurt, since with the HUD, a new windshield could cost up to 2,000.00 dollars-so I've heard.

Everything came out excellent, I needed my vehicle done pretty quickly, and Alex was happy to oblige. He worked on it over a weekend, and it came out nice, a few bubbles at first but over time they did go away. He was forthright and honest, and now we're waiting on our family's new Lexus to be delivered, then off to get wrapped by Spy design.

My younger brother just got his windshield protector installed today and he said it looks perfect already.

If you're in the market for either paint job or wrapping needs, Screaming paintworks and Spy design is the place to go.

Thanks again guys.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

I would be skeptical of a film that prevents a windshield from cracking after getting nailed with a rock.

Does anyone have any more info on this stuff?

Sounds interesting.

Maybe scat19 has info on a tinted version of this vinyl?
    (dead horse i know)

this would make window tinting hella easier if you could tint from the outside.
    Last edited by King Banana; 03-16-2010 at 03:58 PM.

The name escapes me right now, I don't know how it puts up to be honest, I'm hopeful that it works though, it looks great which was my initial hesitation, I don't want any distortion.

Edit: Brother just texted me, it's called "clearplex".

http://www.clearplex.com/
    Last edited by signature7; 03-16-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Same thing happened to me
    When i got my E36 from vancouver, there were zero rock chips (86,000kms).. I drove it all winter here and now the front bumper, hood and windshield are totally pitted, I dont get how it happened so fast..bah

Anyways looking to repaint/repair the chips.
    What were the associated costs both for painting and the Vinyl stuff?
    Last edited by colt22; 03-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.

kinda sucks that it's only rated for one year.

Video looks like it works pretty good at preventing damage
    I guess after a few months you can just post and tell us if it works.

Dependent on the cost of material so it depends on how big the vehicle. If you want just the Durashield- no paint change like Rage then 3900 and up. The clearplex is extra, around 450.00 dollars.

Also, you had choices on protection from Durashield, 3m or Ventureshield. I believe all are the same in cost.

Cost for paint was under 3,000 for the side of the body like mouldings and painted running board which is a nice feature on the M, but prone to rocks. Luckily the front bumper and hood has protection from dealership already.

Parts were resprayed, looks brand new.
    Last edited by signature7; 03-16-2010 at 05:53 PM.

____
    Last edited by colt22; 03-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.

My Ride
    Z

I've brought two parts to screamin over the years for painting and both took over a month to paint (1 front fascia and 1 flushmount spoiler). Would not go back.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Is fun!

Did none of you see the guy at the auto show with windshield film?

Did a great demo on an actual windshield with a centre punch. Made HUGE chips/spider cracks in the exposed part then used the same punch on the strip of film on the same windshield and all it left was a tiny mark on the surface (bear in mind, this was a really big chip, not the usual ones you get routinely), peeled the film back and the glass was untouched underneath.

He 'says' you can expect to get three years out of it, and the cost is about $500 to have it installed. When your windshield has heating elements/antenna etc, it could prove to be a worthwhile investment as some cost over $800

The guys site: www.sharperlines.com (site is currently being 'rebuilt')

The product is by: www.prolinestyling.com

I have no personal experience of either business/product, but it looks interesting and I'd definitely consider getting it done.
    Last edited by Wrinkly; 03-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Wrinkly
    Did none of you see the guy at the auto show with windshield film?

Did a great demo on an actual windshield with a centre punch. Made HUGE chips/spider cracks in the exposed part then used the same punch on the strip of film on the same windshield and all it left was a tiny mark on the surface (bear in mind, this was a really big chip, not the usual ones you get routinely), peeled the film back and the glass was untouched underneath.

He 'says' you can expect to get three years out of it, and the cost is about $500 to have it installed. When your windshield has heating elements/antenna etc, it could prove to be a worthwhile investment as some cost over $800

The guys site: www.sharperlines.com (site is currently being 'rebuilt')

The product is by: www.prolinestyling.com

I have no personal experience of either business/product, but it looks interesting and I'd definitely consider getting it done.
    I looked into that product to sell through Lexus and I wasn't a fan. The problem with that product is ice scrapers, when you scrape your windshield it really messes up the film.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

to confirm, with HUD on BMW... $1800 for a replacement windshield.

Good point Redlyne, anyone have an answer to that? Would be great to know!

It does seem plausible what Redlyne stated. There's two bump strips right above each wipers, half an inch apart, so dirt and debris gets wiped off before sliding on the windshield, possibly designed so dirt wouldn't scratch it up. Perhaps its more designed for impacts than scratches.

I have yet to scrape my windshield and I rarely did so in the past because of heated environments I am in, so I couldn't really say. Wouldn't count it out though. If that is the case though, I could see the problem with having it at a dealership and the possible complaints. BTW Redlyne, we can't wait for our suv to come in , Lexus service seems unbeatable!

Thanks TYMSMNY, I was a little close on the pricing
    Last edited by signature7; 03-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I looked into that product to sell through Lexus and I wasn't a fan. The problem with that product is ice scrapers, when you scrape your windshield it really messes up the film.
    Hmmmm - interesting point. Any actual experience with the film over any length of time?

Anyone else??

Originally posted by Wrinkly

Hmmmm - interesting point. Any actual experience with the film over any length of time?

Anyone else??
    Film has been fine, used wipers and everything. After a car wash it's been crystal clear. Like I said though; I never do any heavy scraping. Just normal wiper use for about a month now. It's pretty new stuff, a lot of people look at me sideways when I tlak about it.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Sounds good - is it the clearplex brand?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by g-m
    I've brought two parts to screamin over the years for painting and both took over a month to paint (1 front fascia and 1 flushmount spoiler). Would not go back.
    That seems odd. I know they can get really busy, but I just can't see those guys keeping your stuff for an entire month unless they notified you in advance they couldn't fit it in until that amount of time.

I've had great experiences with them. Dan painted up my Sequoia bumper and it looked like new.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Screamin Paintworks hasn't touched my car yet but so far the procedure of setting something up with them has been easy and great. My car will be towed in tomorrow. Hope I get the same experience all you other beyonders have had.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by signature7
    It does seem plausible what Redlyne stated. There's two bump strips right above each wipers, half an inch apart, so dirt and debris gets wiped off before sliding on the windshield, possibly designed so dirt wouldn't scratch it up. Perhaps its more designed for impacts than scratches.

I have yet to scrape my windshield and I rarely did so in the past because of heated environments I am in, so I couldn't really say. Wouldn't count it out though. If that is the case though, I could see the problem with having it at a dealership and the possible complaints. BTW Redlyne, we can't wait for our suv to come in , Lexus service seems unbeatable!

Thanks TYMSMNY, I was a little close on the pricing
    Anyone else think the bump strips might mess up the wiper blades even faster?

Lexus service = , especially the pastries. LOL.

Jeeze, how many SUV/SAVs does your family need? $1400 for the glass... $400 for labor.

Did you get your headlamps shielded?

+1 for Screamin'. Did a lip spoiler + roof spoiler with perfection on the IS.

I don't scrape my window anyways, I have the electrically heated glass from MINI. I want this clear film on my windshield when I put my new glass in.