Quantcast
Recommend a lawyer before moving in with girlfriend - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommend a lawyer before moving in with girlfriend

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

If you are entering a relationship with the state of mind that it 'might' not work then it won't...relationships grow together or apart with the effort and attitude that you put into them.

I say don't make such a large money-based decision with someone you don't truly believe you will spend the rest of your life with

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

nm
    Last edited by 2002civic; 03-18-2010 at 02:18 PM.

If you do make such an agreement, ensure you enter a clause stating that if one person chooses to put the house up for sale, then the other must agree.

You'll come to a stalemate if you want out and sell and she doesnt want to sell. Then you live in agony with a pissed off bitch in the same house.

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Originally posted by Crymson
    That interesting, about the AIR.

So basically, if you've lived with the same roomate for 4 years of college, you're married and entitled to most of the benefits of marraige as "non conjugal platonic partners".

Haha.
    If he's a mooch and lives off you with no job, I bet that would qualify, even if you're both dudes.

sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2010 WRX Limited

DON'T DO IT MAN! YOUR CRAZY.

take a loan for her portion and make her pay rent.

If your house depreciates at all... and you break up... your exit strategy is going to be very difficult.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by schmooot
    If you are entering a relationship with the state of mind that it 'might' not work then it won't...relationships grow together or apart with the effort and attitude that you put into them.
    I disagree. If I cannot make it work with my wife, I don't think I could make it work with anyone. We have overall a pretty fantastic relationship. Still, I'm all about the prenup.

You may love your wife very much, and vice-versa, but we all know how women can get when they are "scorned". Sometimes they just want to make the guy hurt - and since guys are typically not very emotional, they tend to go to the extreme to get back at him.

I do not expect my relationship to end. I love my wife dearly. But if it ever does, you better believe I will be relieved that I'm covered because we signed a prenup. I came into our relatoinship with $180,000 of equity. She came in with nothing. Like the OP, I don't really care if she takes half the appreciation of the house; I just want to know I can walk away with my $180,000 if it all goes to shit.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Just another question, are you guys splitting the monthly payments on the house? That might be another argument in her favor if it shits out.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by .civictyper.
    DON'T DO IT MAN! YOUR CRAZY.

take a loan for her portion and make her pay rent.

From my understanding, this only works if she stays in a separate room.

My Ride
    //M

are prenups actually effective?? i heard they weren't always.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

Originally posted by Kloubek

I disagree. If I cannot make it work with my wife, I don't think I could make it work with anyone. We have overall a pretty fantastic relationship. Still, I'm all about the prenup.

You may love your wife very much, and vice-versa, but we all know how women can get when they are "scorned". Sometimes they just want to make the guy hurt - and since guys are typically not very emotional, they tend to go to the extreme to get back at him.

I do not expect my relationship to end. I love my wife dearly. But if it ever does, you better believe I will be relieved that I'm covered because we signed a prenup. I came into our relatoinship with $180,000 of equity. She came in with nothing. Like the OP, I don't really care if she takes half the appreciation of the house; I just want to know I can walk away with my $180,000 if it all goes to shit.
    I understand your point but as far as I'm concerned marriage is for life. It is a solemn oath that is sworn between two people among witnesses, does anybody have integrity anymore?

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 911fever
    are prenups actually effective?? i heard they weren't always.
    They are effective if they are drafted properly and the couple does not experience an unforeseen change in wealth. For example, if a couple marries and both have average incomes, and one somehow becomes a millionaire through an unforeseeable series of events, that could weaken the prenuptial agreement.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I understand your point but as far as I'm concerned marriage is for life. It is a solemn oath that is sworn between two people among witnesses, does anybody have integrity anymore?
    Guess what? You know what you said (I bolded it for you) about an oath? Sometimes it isn't always somebody's choice but the other party's decision.

So tell me this: you marry this chick you've been dating, think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Two years later, divorce, takes you for all your worth.

If you say this hasn't happened before, it has and does (ALL of the time). So, who in their right mind wouldn't get a prenup, especially with the divorce rate being how high?

I would hope whoever I decide to marry understands the sound logical reasoning for it. I don't know if I personally would ever get one though... if I married somebody they'd have to be pretty damn trustworthy, as I don't trust anybody. Most dudes have a lot more to lose than the chick, which makes it even worse as most dudes would probably be "meh, whatever".

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I totally know what you are saying, and it is admirable. But you are living in some sort of fantasy land if you think that even the best-planned, most loving marriages are happily ever after 100% of the time.

I would not imagine in a million years that my wife would be capable of being such a bitch that she wants half of everything, when she came in with nothing. But if aliens can come down and probe people's assholes, then it isn't a TOTAL stretch to imagine she might potentially have a change of heart one day.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

If you say this hasn't happened before, it has and does (ALL of the time). So, who in their right mind wouldn't get a prenup, especially with the divorce rate being how high?

I didn't bother with a prenup. Didn't have to. She saw how effective I was at digging holes/trenches etc when helping the parents landscape. She came out when I was digging and commented at how fast it was going, and I replied "You'd better not ever try to divorce me eh?" I can dig a fairly deep body sized hole pretty quick when properly motivated, and she knows it.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by codetrap

I didn't bother with a prenup. Didn't have to. She saw how effective I was at digging holes/trenches etc when helping the parents landscape. She came out when I was digging and commented at how fast it was going, and I replied "You'd better not ever try to divorce me eh?" I can dig a fairly deep body sized hole pretty quick when properly motivated, and she knows it.
    LOL
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2