Quantcast
Going to the Big Island! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Going to the Big Island!

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default Going to the Big Island!

Wifey, my two kids (2.5 yrs & 8 months), and I are headed to the Big Island, Hawaii, in the first week of May for my brother's wedding.

Anyone been there before? Any suggestions on what we should take in while there?

My good wife is studiously making a list of sights to see and things to do, but if anyone has actually been there and can give a review, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the things we're going to try and do:

- My brothers and I are chartering a fishing boat for a day long trip. It's Blue Marlin season!!
    - Black Sand beach
    - Snorkeling
    - Volcano tour

I know our young children will keep us from doing some things, but we didn't want ot leave them for a week. That, and we like our kids and think it will be fun to have them.

Let me know if you have any first-hand experience on the Big Island.

Thanks.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I have been there many times...you will love every second of it. There are very few tourists compared with Maui/Oahu and IMO a much prettier, quiet and amazing place.

The beaches are generally cove style and smaller, but chances are you will be one of like 5 people even on the beach. Check out the volcano! It's hot!
    Last edited by syeve; 03-19-2010 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by syeve
    Check out the volcano! It's hot!
    ...I see what you did there!

Thanks, that is encouraging. I've been to Hawaii twice, both times to Oahu. I'm hoping this will be an improvement.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

go to volcano national park, i think thats what its called. You can easily spend a couple days there. Which side of the island are you staying on? the Hilo side or Kona side? You'll find the Hilo side VERY quiet...Kona is nice though.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Do the coffee tour it's incredible and when we went they also included the Macadamia farms as well.(inbetween stops)

Make sure you do Volcano National park as well.
    The Lave tubes are amazing and listen to your guide,you don't want to fall thru the crust.

Black sand beaches are amazing bring some good sunblock.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by freshprince1

...I see what you did there!

RAY CHARLES can see what he did there! I still lol'd
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

Well, we're a week and a half away from Kona. My brother's wedding will take up most of the first day. The next day my Dad, Brothers and I have chartered a boat to go fishing all day...apparently it's prime Blue Marlin season. I think we'll take the kids on the glass-bottomed boat ride. Besides that I think we're just going to take it easy...hit some beaches, especially the Black Sand beach and the ones with all the turtles.

Any other suggestions?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    has 660 ft. lbs. TQ

Taking the drive to 'South Point' is worth it, as well as renting a 4WD and taking the drive to the Green Sand Beach. Also if you have the 4WD, taking the drive down the hill to Waipio Valley is worth it. If not, the lookout point is nice too.

IMO the best beach on the big island is Hapuna Beach, which is about half an hour drive north of the airport.

Also, don't try to do a circle island drive in one day, unless you want to spend about 12hr in the car!

As others have said, check out Volcano National Park. Keep in mind that half of Crater Rim Drive is closed due to the gases coming from the crater and there are no active lava flows right now (at least not when we went last month).

If you want to see turtles, I'd recommend Anaehoomalu Bay Beach (or A-Beach for short). It's about half an hour north of Kona and you'll have to go early in the morning to see them (probably before 8:30am, which isn't really that bad given the 4 hour time difference). We saw this guy...

If you like shortbread cookies and/or chocolate and you are in the Hilo area, make sure you go to Big Island Candies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride

That's awesome guys. I definately want to go check out the turtles. I'll be having my birthday and our anniversary while we're there, I think I'm going to go to a Luau for the big Three Oh.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

My bro-in-law and sister were JUST there with their kids and they absolutely loved it. The best part of their trip was 4x4 to the green sand beach and the manta ray night dive. It was apparently one of the best things they have ever done in their life. Check that out for sure.

the big island is not near as touristy as the others so it may not feel like hawaii if thats what your into, youll notice that its mostly rock but like some one said the 4x4ing is a hell of a trip and the golfing is spectacular. theres also Volcanoes National park which is on the south end and the remote observatory which when i was there was still doing tours. also the royal ranch where you can go horseback riding and do a tour that way and of course the beaches are always a fixture. You will need a rental car as the big island certainly is.