Quantcast
The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep from Alaska to Argentina - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep from Alaska to Argentina

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Just wondering, do you ever worry about your Jeep being stolen? Do you use any anti-theft measures at all?

Wicked trip man. I have a few investments in some gold mines in Ecuador and Peru. It would be really cool to be able to check them out in person.
    Last edited by ExtremeSi; 10-02-2010 at 09:54 AM.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Props man!

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by ExtremeSi
    Just wondering, do you ever worry about your Jeep being stolen? Do you use any anti-thet measures at all?

Wicked trip man. I have a few investments in some gold mines in Ecuador and Peru. It would be really cool to be able to check them out in person.
    I think the question is "Do you ever worry about being robbed/murdered/kidnapped for ransom?".

Just saw a show "Knocked up abroad" on a US man who rode his motorcycle from Arizona to Argentina and he was abducted by the ELN in Colombia for ransom and eventually released(months later).

[url]

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Amazing story and amazing adventure. Thanks for contributing here, there have been many discussions over the years about guys on here wanting to do one great adventure.

Hopefully this spurs some action, not just talk. I know it's fresh in my mind to accomplish something big like you have done; and done it well I might add.

BIG

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Originally posted by bignerd

I think the question is "Do you ever worry about being robbed/murdered/kidnapped for ransom?".
    Well not until you said that, no :P

haha, seriously it's something that I do think about from time to time, but I've made a decision that I'm not going to live my life in fear. I'm going to get out and give it a go and see what happens.
    And yes, there is a chance that something nasty might happen to me, and I accept that as part of the bargain.

Of course, I try to be careful and keep my head about me, which is working well so far.

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Originally posted by syeve
    Amazing story and amazing adventure. Thanks for contributing here, there have been many discussions over the years about guys on here wanting to do one great adventure.

Hopefully this spurs some action, not just talk. I know it's fresh in my mind to accomplish something big like you have done; and done it well I might add.

BIG
    You're very welcome man. I truly hope I can inspire a few people to get out there and take a shot at making their dreams come true.
    I'm not sure there is a better feeling in the world.

On that note, if anyone every has any questions at all, I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can.

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

I've crossed the Equator!
    ahhh, familiar Southern Hemisphere, it's been so long.

http://dangrec.com/the-equator

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

^^ I have a picture of my dad standing in that exact spot, its definitely on my bucket list

Just finished catching up on your whole blog this morning, crazy journey!

My Ride

Originally posted by thrasher22

Just finished catching up on your whole blog this morning, crazy journey!
    Without a doubt it's the biggest, craziest, funnest thing I've ever done in my life

I spent a few days in the big city of Quito.

http://dangrec.com/quito

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by Grecy

Well not until you said that, no :P

haha, seriously it's something that I do think about from time to time, but I've made a decision that I'm not going to live my life in fear. I'm going to get out and give it a go and see what happens.
    And yes, there is a chance that something nasty might happen to me, and I accept that as part of the bargain.

Of course, I try to be careful and keep my head about me, which is working well so far.

-Dan
    Sorry, I did not mean to suggest anything bad would happen. You will have to look the episode up when you get home safe and sound!

[url]

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

You are 110% the most serious badass I've encountered on the web. Not even Chuck Norris, not even Chuck Norris.

How has your family reacted to this? Mom/Dad/Siblings...Wife? I ask because I might fly to Spain this week to marry a girl I've only met 4 or 5 times. I'd like to "shake it up" too.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    YZ250

Is it true toilets spin the other way south of the equator? I heard there was a museum in Ecuador on the equator where you can see water spinning each way on either side?...

My Ride

Originally posted by bignerd

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest anything bad would happen. You will have to look the episode up when you get home safe and sound!
    Hey, no worries man. I was just kidding around.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Originally posted by CUG

How has your family reacted to this? Mom/Dad/Siblings...Wife? I ask because I might fly to Spain this week to marry a girl I've only met 4 or 5 times. I'd like to "shake it up" too.
    Ha, thanks man. It's been a hell of a lot of fun.
    We're a reasonably adventurous family, so everyone is taking it in the their stride pretty well. In fact, none of us live in our home country right now, we're scattered all over the world.

I don't have a wife or kids, so that keeps things a lot easier.

Good luck with the wedding

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Originally posted by Mazstyle
    Is it true toilets spin the other way south of the equator? I heard there was a museum in Ecuador on the equator where you can see water spinning each way on either side?...
    Absolutely, water does spin the other way.
    It's called the Coriolis Effect
    I've read many times that so close to the equator, in such a small container, the effect is negated by the friction of the liquid on the sides of the container. The guys on the equator are doing a neat party trick to get some tourist dollars.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

I drove around the famous Quilotoa Loop in Ecuador... breathtaking.

http://dangrec.com/the-quilotoa-loop

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

I spent a relaxing days in and around the beautiful town of Baņos:

http://dangrec.com

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    KTM

If you do decide to drive back, or part way back and make it to Nicaragua send me a private message. I will get you in touch with some Calgaryian freinds that live out side of San Juan Del Sur...... you actually passed their house on the way to Maderas beach. I wish i would have caught this location on your blog on the way down!

Craig

My Ride
    POS Toyota

Wow, this is literally the coolest thing ever.

Also had no idea about the Coriolis Effect, haha thanks for teaching me something new.

Keep this up, you're giving those of us in a lousy 9 to 5 grind entertained while at work haha!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast