Quantcast
Think Airbus & Boeing makes big airplanes? they ain't got shit on Russia! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Think Airbus & Boeing makes big airplanes? they ain't got shit on Russia!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Post Think Airbus & Boeing makes big airplanes? they ain't got shit on Russia!

Some older now decommissioned planes in the Soviets fleet.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...ng-fortresses/

^Google "Russian Flying Fortress" for more info on that one.

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2.../ekranoplan/1/
    ^Be sure to check out all three pages for all the pics. 8 Jet engines, 6 cruise missles on board..

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...1/ekranoplans/

Amazing to see, I never knew any of these existed until recently.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

woooowwww

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

LOL natzee flying saucer, rofl

My Ride

^ Yeah I had a pretty good laugh at that. I should post more links about some of the experimental weapons of WWII, some of them are just amazing
    Here is another one.
    31.5" cannon, capable of 264 feet of armor piercing capability.
    http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2010/0...ver-built.html
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    You Crazy

Russia is so far ahead of everyone else, it's not even funny. I remember when the US spent BILLIONS trying to steal the "secrets" of the Squal Torpedo, then the Russians GAVE it away to Canada for almost free.

Their reasoning?? It was "old technology" for them lol.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I've seen that ekranoplane thing on teh discovery channel before. It flies, but only over water. Something to do with compressed air shockwaves and it's able to start cruising a few feet above the water.

Either way, russians build some cool shit.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Russians weren't ahead of their time... they were just crazy. Nearly all the shit they built was so "far ahead of technology" that it didn't work. A lot of their ideas were scraped pretty quickly.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

That first link you posted tried to upload a trojan to my computer. I advise against clicking it.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Russians weren't ahead of their time... they were just crazy. Nearly all the shit they built was so "far ahead of technology" that it didn't work. A lot of their ideas were scraped pretty quickly.
    A good example was the titanium hulls on some of their subs. Very good in theory, horrible in practice.

Still, 1/4 of the worlds engineering, physics and chemistry information is written in Russian, so they must have done something right.

My Ride
    /85' Corolla GTS AE86 - 20V /06' X-Runner

I'm not going to lie - those Aircraft scare the shit out of me. I work on Aircraft WAY smaller than those, significantly. Imagine working on one...

Ray

My Ride
    95 240SX

If you dont think outside the box, progression is not possible.

Go Russia!

My Ride
    oooo

the Russians generaly didn't have the best stuff, they just had a lot of it....

Ive been to some of the remote airports in Siberia where they have parked some of their fleets and the number of aircraft they had was absolutely stunning.

For crazy inventions nothing topped the Germans, the Dora gun etc, or the Landkreuzer P1500 prototype. Pretty crazy and desperate stuff.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'd be scared as shit to fly on one of those if it were to work effectively. I just can't fathom something that big floating in the air!

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Yeah, ground effect vehicles didn't really catch on for a good reason... they suck.

And a 747 and an A380 are bigger and heavier than it. And it can't actually fly, either, so it's not an aircraft.

Originally posted by Toma
    Russia is so far ahead of everyone else, it's not even funny. I remember when the US spent BILLIONS trying to steal the "secrets" of the Squal Torpedo, then the Russians GAVE it away to Canada for almost free.

Their reasoning?? It was "old technology" for them lol.
    LOL.

How do you figure? Their subs are old and noisy, they have ONE aircraft carrier and it can barely carry anything and hardly ever leaves port, their front line fighters can't compete with the F-22 or F-35 and would barely be an even match for an F-15C or Block 50 F-16C...

The Russian military is so, SO shitty right now it's not even funny. They don't have the funds for training, sailing or anything. They barely fly at night anymore, they don't routinely practice mid-air refueling, their ballistic missile subs don't do deterrence patrols, they just sit in harbour. Their ICBM fleet is ragged and old and if the rest of their military is any indication, in shitty, shitty shape.

Military development in Russia is at LEAST 10 years behind the USA in anything that matters, whether it's actually FIELDING at stealth platfrom, which the USA has had since 1981, or projecting power with an aircraft carrier. They can't do it.

Singling out a noisy, supercavitating torpedo as an example of Russian genius is pretty picky (admittedly, it's cool. And no, Canada doesn't use it at all. We still carry Mark-48s in our subs.)

My Ride

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    Yeah, ground effect vehicles didn't really catch on for a good reason... they suck.

And a 747 and an A380 are bigger and heavier than it. And it can't actually fly, either, so it's not an aircraft.

LOL.

How do you figure? Their subs are old and noisy, they have ONE aircraft carrier and it can barely carry anything and hardly ever leaves port, their front line fighters can't compete with the F-22 or F-35 and would barely be an even match for an F-15C or Block 50 F-16C...

The Russian military is so, SO shitty right now it's not even funny. They don't have the funds for training, sailing or anything. They barely fly at night anymore, they don't routinely practice mid-air refueling, their ballistic missile subs don't do deterrence patrols, they just sit in harbour. Their ICBM fleet is ragged and old and if the rest of their military is any indication, in shitty, shitty shape.

Military development in Russia is at LEAST 10 years behind the USA in anything that matters, whether it's actually FIELDING at stealth platfrom, which the USA has had since 1981, or projecting power with an aircraft carrier. They can't do it.

Singling out a noisy, supercavitating torpedo as an example of Russian genius is pretty picky (admittedly, it's cool. And no, Canada doesn't use it at all. We still carry Mark-48s in our subs.)
    I know there are numerous modern planes are bigger then these, but I wanted to point these interesting planes out to the majority of the beyonders here, as I think most had no idea of any of this type of stuff.
    Actually the "Spruce Goose" is still the biggest I believe, at least as of a couple years ago. It had a few feet on its next biggest rivals.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-21-2010 at 09:38 PM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

their front line fighters can't compete with the F-22 or F-35 and would barely be an even match for an F-15C or Block 50 F-16C...
    LOL, you might want to look into a company called Sukhoi

The Russians also were way ahead of the Americans when it came to the space race, first satellite, first animals in space, first man in space.

The Russians have done a lot for engineering.

Also:

Last edited by Eleanor; 03-21-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Did any of those actually get air born?

Way too lazy to read if they did or not...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Eleanor
    LOL, you might want to look into a company called Sukhoi

The Russians also were way ahead of the Americans when it came to the space race, first satellite, first animals in space, first man in space.

Lets not get into the apples/oranges debate about the "best fighters" from the two superpowers.

The Americans produce air superiority fighters mainly for BVR encounters. The American fighters themselves are designed for long-term, peace-time use.

This contrasts with the Soviet/Russian design philosophy of mass production and lower quality (although impressive performance). The fighters are meant to be used in combat, and are for short-range deployment.

The Soviets were indeed ahead of the Americans in the early stages of the space race. They probably would've gotten to the moon first had their engineers not gone crazy and try to build a rocket with 30+ engines in the first stage and expect all of them to perform flawlessly (as compared to 5 in the Saturn V first stage)
    Last edited by revelations; 03-21-2010 at 10:18 PM.

LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast