Quantcast
Does drinking tea dehydrate you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Does drinking tea dehydrate you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Does drinking tea dehydrate you?

    I've been plowing through 4-6 cups of green tea a day at work without drinking any water. Sure I piss like a race horse, but I'm doing it mostly so my body will more readily use fat as an energy source during cardio (I've been using a heart rate monitor to train for a half marathon in May, one of the key points was to keep your HR low enough to be using fat as an energy source instead of carbs so you can run long periods of time).

    I quickly looked into whether or not tea dehydrates you before starting this green tea kick back in January and according to this article it doesn't: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm

    However, a lot of my co-workers are still telling me that it does, and they point out that the study that I was using as gospel is actually funded by The Tea Council... fuck.

    Anyone know of any scientific sources that has tested this? I searched Google and most of what I find is from Yahoo Answers with people spouting urban myths as answers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Does drinking tea dehydrate you?

    Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I've been plowing through 4-6 cups of green tea a day at work without drinking any water. Sure I piss like a race horse, but I'm doing it mostly so my body will more readily use fat as an energy source during cardio (I've been using a heart rate monitor to train for a half marathon in May, one of the key points was to keep your HR low enough to be using fat as an energy source instead of carbs so you can run long periods of time).

    I quickly looked into whether or not tea dehydrates you before starting this green tea kick back in January and according to this article it doesn't: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm

    However, a lot of my co-workers are still telling me that it does, and they point out that the study that I was using as gospel is actually funded by The Tea Council... fuck.

    Anyone know of any scientific sources that has tested this? I searched Google and most of what I find is from Yahoo Answers with people spouting urban myths as answers.
    Green Tea DOES NOT dehydrate you. If that were the case I'd be skin and bones, as I drink a ton of it. Numerous studies have shown that nearly any non-alcoholic drink will promote hydration on some level.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    The only thing I could think of is caffeine is a diuretic so you'll get dehydrated quicker that way.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reality
    My Ride
    Is fun!
    Posts
    483
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I LIVE on tea of all colours/types, but mostly pekoe/black - I was raised on tea and have been drinking it daily for many many years (like eight cups or more almost without fail) and it never did me any harm

    Tea does contain Caffeine and it does seem to have a diuretic effect. But the benefits of drinking it far out weigh any negatives IMO.

    I think if it caused too much dehydration you'd likely get headaches

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster
    Posts
    1,914
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by Wrinkly
    Tea does contain Caffeine and it does seem to have a diuretic effect.
    Tea often has more caffeine than coffee.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by Mar
    Tea often has more caffeine than coffee.
    I think you mean the other way around....

    http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Caffeine Content


    All figures are approximate, especially with coffee. Different varietals can have different caffeine content, and the way the coffee is roasted can also change the values.
    Double espresso (2oz) 45-100 mg
    Brewed coffee (8 oz) 60-120 mg
    Instant coffee (8 oz) 70 mg
    Decaf coffee (8 oz) 1-5 mg
    Tea - black (8 oz) 45 mg
    Tea - green (8 oz) 20 mg
    Tea - white (8 oz) 15 mg
    Coca Cola (12 oz can) 34 mg
    Pepsi (12 oz can) 38 mg
    Barq's Root Beer (12 oz can) 22 mg
    7-up (12 oz) 0 mg
    Chocolate milk (8 oz) 4 mg
    Dark chocolate (1 oz) 20 mg
    Milk chocolate (1 oz) 6 mg


    As far as I know though some coffee houses have caffeine in their coffee as high as 200 mg. So you would have to drink 10 green tea to equate the amount of caffeine in one coffee.

    But as far as your body is concerned its fluid in vs fluid out. At optimal level you need almost 2.5-3 L a day. This is to make up for approx 1 L urination, 1 L respriration, and the remainder sweat and defecation.

    Caffeine rich foods still count as fluid they just make it more challenging for you to rehydrate.

    Drink away your tea. I love green tea, I usually drink about 8 cups/day but use only 4 bags. Steeping each bag twice. The second time always tastes better.

Similar Threads

  1. What are you drinking right now?

    By 89coupe in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 166
    Latest Threads: 12-25-2010, 05:04 PM
  2. Where to get green tea in tea bags?

    By Melinda in forum General
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 11-03-2007, 12:22 PM
  3. Tea Houses/Tea Rooms in Calgary?

    By Melinda in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
  4. Another NHL Drinking and Driving Nightmare...

    By Davetronz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 12-16-2003, 07:12 PM
  5. What's Everyone Drinking 2nite!?

    By davidI in forum General
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 01-02-2003, 03:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •