Quantcast
A790's Year Long Transformation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A790's Year Long Transformation

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default A790's Year Long Transformation

If you read my five month challenge thread you'll already know that I lost a bunch of weight last year from Oct 2008 till Feb 2009. Now, it's time to step it up again.

This year (2010), the goal is to hit 220lbs @ 11% body fat. As of this morning I am 221lbs @ 15%.

I have devised my strategy into three core elements: diet/nutrition, workout routine, and supplemental activities.

Diet/Nutrition:

From January until late February I will be cutting. My plan is three main meals per day, with two minor meals and one snack to supplement. I will follow a strict (and bland) diet:

+++Meal one:
    - chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, seven grain rice. 600 calories, 55g protein, 19g carbs.

+++Meal two:
    - tuna, two slices whole wheat toast, glass of milk. 490 calories, 44g protein, 20g carbs.

+++Meal three:
    - steak or salmon fillet, snow peas, green beans. 600 calories, 55g protein, 15g carbs.

+++Minor one:
    - protein shake with strawberries/banana or blueberries/blackberries, orange juice. 320 calories, 30g protein, 15g carbs.

+++Minor two:
    - orange, glass of milk, maybe a banana if I'm feeling munchy. 200 calories, 11g protein, 8g carbs.

Total daily caloric intake: 2,210 (not including additional juice/milk/small snacks. Budgeted additional 400 calories for those).

Total daily protein: 195g

Total daily carbs: 77g (this is gonna SUCK).

My BMR is 2,600 calories. I estimate I'll go from 220lbs (currently) to 215 by end of February. That's roughly 0.83lb/week.

From March until late April I will bulk. My diet will consist of three main peals per day, with three minor meals and one snack to supplement. I will follow a slightly less restrictive diet:

Meals one through three will be the same as my cut, but with the addition of a glass of milk (+130 calories, 9g protein, 9g carbs per meal). Snacks will remain the same, not including the addition of a second protein shake and some beef jerky every now and again.

Daily caloric intake: 3,400 calories.

Daily protein: 275g

Daily carbs: 130g

By the end of April I should be roughly 220lbs again, though I'm hoping to be down a point of body fat. At that time I'll maintain until mid-May, where I'll once again cut. This time I'll get to maybe 217 and then I'll hold it. Body fat by this point should be 13%. Come end of August I'll bulk again, hopefully hitting 223 by mid-October. Then, come November, I'll cut right through the holidays. Ideally, I'll be 220lbs @ 11% January 1, 2011.

Workout routine:

My workout is going to be simple as I'll be following 5/3/1.

Supplemental activities:

During the winter I will be varying my cardio up, alternating between treadmill, recumbent bike, and squash. During the spring/summer/early fall I will be roller blading, running, hiking, and other outside activities.

Should be good. I've decided to refocus and just hit a solid body weight with some decent mass/size. Would like to be benching 235lbs for reps (at least 3 x 8), squatting 325lbs for reps (3 x 8), dead lifting 365 for reps (3 x 8) by June 2011. Hoping to hit at least 85% of those numbers by January.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Looks good. Your dedication will get you there and beyond.

My Ride
    TL

Good on you for posting this and keeping the log updated for 2010. Not sure if you considered it, but a Timed Carb Diet (TCD) may be up your alley. When I used it, I was recomping and doing the unexpected dropping bf% and gaining LBM. It is a slow process, but I had body composition tests every 3 months to provide me with objective results.

For more info IronAddict has a nice little post on this.
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=1

Other then that, I have a feeling your strength goals should be falling this year as well. Especially, if you stick to the 5/3/1 program.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

A790 - I HATE cooking. hate hate hate.

I like your meal's, something that I could perhaps do myself. Can you make all your meals for the week? For 5 days? How do you make it easier on yourself.

My Ride

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Looks good. Your dedication will get you there and beyond.
    Thanks bud!

Originally posted by Oz-
    Good on you for posting this and keeping the log updated for 2010. Not sure if you considered it, but a Timed Carb Diet (TCD) may be up your alley. When I used it, I was recomping and doing the unexpected dropping bf% and gaining LBM. It is a slow process, but I had body composition tests every 3 months to provide me with objective results.

For more info IronAddict has a nice little post on this.
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...mp;postcount=1

Other then that, I have a feeling your strength goals should be falling this year as well. Especially, if you stick to the 5/3/1 program.
    I'm going to look into a TCD- sounds like something that may be beneficial. As far as stength goals, I'm already not too far off most of them (bench 210 for reps, squat 280 for reps, dead 300 for reps). I know that the constant cycle of cutting will reduce strength gains, but I'm hoping that persistence and carb loading during my bulking phases will help. Any suggestions? Is 5/3/1 not ideal for what I'mt trying to do?

Originally posted by scat19
    A790 - I HATE cooking. hate hate hate.

I like your meal's, something that I could perhaps do myself. Can you make all your meals for the week? For 5 days? How do you make it easier on yourself.
    The meals I posted are an example, I will be branching off to other things of similar caloric values and macro nutritional values. Everything that I eat is *very* easy to cook and all take less than 30 minutes assuming that everything is thawed and ready to go.

I'll update with other meals as I eat em... NOM NOM!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Good job A790.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    fg2

i dunno what 5/3/1 looks like..

but take a look at

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

i always had great success at adding mass and increasing my max lifts by bulking on this program (its not really a set program.. you can design the program with any lifts you want, just apply the HST principles to the way you setup your rep/weights. .. if you build a program centered around big compound lifts, you cant really go wrong.

its so hard to know what program to do, theres so much out there and everything works different for different people.. but personally i really liked HST

My Ride
    NC1

Awesome guy! I wish I can be as committed as you guys, just don't got it going right now.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Nice, will be following this log.

I think what Oz meant is that your goals of reaching those strength numbers won't be hard.

5/3/1 is a good program, even while cutting.

Some advise I'd offer is with the Timed carb dieting, do all carbs based around the workout. Pre and during.

No need for carbs post-workout. Just a whey shake and some leucine.

77g carbs/day isn't that bad.

As well some of your meal numbers seem a little funky. Meal one for example shouldn't be much more than 350-400 cals.

You put 600 cals but 55pro = 220cals, 19carbs = 76 cals. Rice has no fat and would equal about 75-100 cals.

As well it looks like your carbs calculations are off on the snacks and stuff. A 250ml glass of milk contains 14g of carbs by itself, and an orange is about 15g.

A large<er> banana is upwards of 30 carbs, and for a fruit fairly high on the GI scale.

For fruit berries are the best bet. And if you can, cut out the milk. It's not the best for males.

Here's a little list of carbs to apply as you lean out:

1) Green veggies
    2) Berries/Coloured veggies
    3) Orange family of fruit and apples/pears
    4) All fruits
    5) Oats, yams, rice (Darker the better)
    6) White carbs (rice, bread, pasta)
    7) Sugars

Oh and lastly watch out for "jucies". They can be upwards of 25g sugar/250ml.

Crystal light works as an excellent substitute.

You'll reach your goals man, hit it hard.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Darkane hit the nail on the head. With the 5/3/1 my feeling is that you will likely break those strength goals during the year even if you are "cutting".

If you have your diet on point and you are using the 5/3/1 program, you may have to utilize extra steady state cardio and a couple of days of HIIT. This is just from my experience, of course your mileage may vary.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I'm doing this same thing starting Jan 1st 2010.

I'm take progress pictures and detail my progress as well.

You've seen some amazing results, Cam.

(THREAD HIJACK – tell me to GTFO if you’d rather me start me own thread – just figured it’s easier to consolidate…)

I am looking to get into a more solid program than my current 'lift whatever, eat whatever'. I followed Cam’s last thread closely and am looking for similar guidance here…

Background: I have been in and out of the gym for several years, all at very degrees of commitment. I have seen some good gains, and have maintained decently. I was about 222lbs at the beginning of 2009, dropped to 198 in August (wedding) and have climbed back up a bit since

Stats: 6’2”; currently 205lbs.

Goals: Weight: 185 – 190lbs, maintain current muscle… I don’t want to be huge, just lean out a bit over the next 3 months.

Nutritional Plan

Around 2,000 calories a day
    270g protein (60%), 100g carbs (20%), 55g fat (20%)

Sample Meals:
    7AM
    Protein Shake
    1/2 cup yogurt (plain, non-fat)
    1/2 cup berries
    1/2 tsp sugar

10AM
    2 eggs poached
    1 slice sprouted wheat bread

12PM
    8 oz cooked chicken breast
    2 cups spinach
    Olives, tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese w/ dressing

3PM
    1 can tuna w/ mustard and hot sauce
    1 slice sprouted what bread

4:30 PM WORKOUT

6PM
    1 protein shake
    A few crackers for some quick carbs

7PM
    8 oz cooked chicken breast
    1 cup broccoli
    1/2 cup carrots
    1/2 cup brown rice

Notes on diet: I don’t eat red meat, so just fish/poultry; I am allergic to nuts/peanuts, which sucks for finding quick protein; I tend to have sugar cravings after any carb-intense meal, so I am trying to keep my carb intake low-glycemic and spread throughout the day; I don’t drink any pop or juice really (aside from Coke Zero on occasion); alcohol will be a minimum over the next while.

Workouts

Monday (chest/tris)
    DB Flat Bench Press 3 x 6
    Dips 3 x 10
    DB Incline Bench Press 3 x 8
    Tricep extensions 3 x 10
    Pushups (close and regular stance) 3 x 15

Tuesday
    Cardio 30-45 mins, elliptical
    Stretch
    Balance
    Abs -

Wednesday (back/bis)
    Pulls-ups 3 x 8
    DB bent over row 3 x 6
    Seated Row 3 x 8
    DB curls 3 x 6
    DB preacher Curl 3 x 6

Thursday
    Cardio 30-45 mins, elliptical
    Stretch
    Balance – BOSU ball work
    Abs - 10 mins or so, a variety of crunches, swiss ball jackknives, etc…

Friday (legs/shoulders)
    Squats 3 x 8
    DB Shoulder press 3 x 5
    Deadlifts 3 x 8
    Rear delt flys 3 x 8
    Seated Calf Raise 3 x 10
    Upright Rows 3 x 8

Saturday or Sunday
    Squash, downhill skiing, cross country skiing. biking, tennis – something light, fun and active.

Notes on Workout: still have knee issues, so weight bearing exercises on my knee are tough – progress here will be slow; knee injury also affects running, but as it heals, I will look into running on my cardio days and adding in HIIT.

So, my big concerns are:
    - is it better to do a muscle grouping split like I have outlined above, or is a three day – full body workout best? I seem to have better results by concentrating on just one grouping per lifting day but an open to a circuit style routine…
    - my calorie intake will likely be a bit higher on lifting days, but it seems like a lot of food and not a lot at the same time…. I will carefully monitor what I eat over the next few weeks to see how it actually compares to the plan.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions? Again, the goal for the next three months will be cutting – losing fat%, maintaining muscle/minimumizing muscle loss.

My Ride

JANUARY 1, 2010 UPDATE

First day with weights is tomorrow, so today I decided to hit the treadmill and burn off some of the excess calories I've taken in during the last few days (new years dinners, yum yum!).

Stats:
    Distance - 2.65 miles
    Calories - 380 calories
    Time - 22 minutes

Works out to roughly 17 calories/minute. Given that I am mildly hungover, and had eaten a massive meal 1.5 hours prior, not too shabby. Tomorrow is a pull gym day (deads, chins, curls, abs, etc.). Looking forward to starting the new year off with some momentum!

Also, how does everyone feel about shrimp? 3 oz = 90 calories, 18g of protein, almost no carbs. Seems like a great high protein snack!

My Ride
    95 240SX

Shrimp is fuckin awesome yo

My Ride

Would have gone to the gym today, but only got 5 hours of sleep last night so I've decided to go tomorrow when I'm running on a full tank. Also decided to start a timed carb diet tomorrow as well.

Been doing lots of reading on TCD's (thanks Oz-!) and have concluded that it will be good to cut with without sacrificing any muscle mass. Will update as it progresses

Originally posted by A790
    Would have gone to the gym today, but only got 5 hours of sleep last night so I've decided to go tomorrow when I'm running on a full tank. Also decided to start a timed carb diet tomorrow as well.

Been doing lots of reading on TCD's (thanks Oz-!) and have concluded that it will be good to cut with without sacrificing any muscle mass. Will update as it progresses
    Looks solid A790. TCD and 5/3/1 will work great.

If you get stuck on diet check out Redpoint, I was on it a while before I started working with IA. I know Oz is/was on there as well.

Good Luck and keep up the solid work.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

A790 you should change up your before bed time meal to include some cottage cheese. Although a little bit more expensive, it is a great slow release protein that will have you feeling full the night. Everything looks solid and I am excited to see the results. I am going to start a little cut cycle as well, thanks for the motivation.

My Ride

JANUARY 3, 2010 UPDATE

Hit the gym this morning after a bit of a munch-out fest on popcorn last night (mmm). Was definitely fueled up and ready to go. I haven't been to the gym since December 19, so the lat 14 days have been a good deload for me. My diet kind of went to shit too, but with Christmas/New Years there wasn't much avoiding it. I tried to be good.

Weighed in at 216lbs, though I hadn't had any carbs since around 10 pm last night (went to bed at 2), so I'm probably around 218-220 carbed up.

I set some goals that I felt were realistic given my time away from the gym:

Dead: 265lbs (2 x 8)
    Pull ups: B/W (2 x 8)
    Oblique Crunch: 70lbs (2 x 8)
    One arm row: 85lbs (2 x 8)
    Alt. Hammer Curl: 55lbs (1 x 8)

I wound up hitting all of those numbers pretty solidly, probably could have gone up by 15lbs on the dead, 10lbs on the oblique and 5lbs on the row. Each exercise had two warm up sets as well. I was pretty happy with those numbers, as I know once I get back in gear I'll be at least 10-15% higher across the board in a couple of weeks.

Overall I'm happy and am pretty optimistic. I'm really trying to nail a good TCD down.

EDIT:

Damn, this diet is going to be rough. So far today I've consumed 953 calories, 79.2g carbs, 86.2g protein. Anyone know of any low-carb, high protein/fat focused foods?

My Ride
    bmw m3

Wow good luck man.
    I couldnt consume under 80g of carbs.
    Im taking in 400g of carbs a day

most seafood (cod, tilapila, sole, scallops, crab, lobster etc) wil be high in protein and low in carbs and fat. some beef jerkys, egg whites, cottage cheese or dry curd, other low fat cheeses. watch the serving sizes. that's mostly all I ate to drop 25+ lbs in the past 7 weeks. keeping under 80g carbs a day is easy. under 30 is tough.
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast