Quantcast
Post your bike - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your bike

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Tough to tell from the picture but it looks like the bars might be pointed down slightly. if so, undo the bolts on the stem at the handlebars and tilt them towards you a bit. it'll help with the extended reach and prevent you from putting too much pressure on your hands (resulting in hands falling asleep).

edit: also looks like your saddle position is far bar - you can move that forward to the neutral position for starters.

Also - content:
    Almost finished building this. Just have to adjust lever position and tape the bars.

that was the bike when i picked it up.
    made some modifications to fit my comfort right after
    -moved the saddle forward
    -changed the stem with a shorter one and angled up
    -titled handlebar up a little

although i think may need to work more on the handlebar as the hoods seems to be sitting low on the bar and drops feels weird to ride on, although maybe i'm just not used to it?
    Last edited by taemo; 04-17-2017 at 11:31 AM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

With the bars tilted back it would feel a bit weird to ride in the drops. Specifically - what feels weird about it? Hand angle? Too stretched out? Unable to reach levers? Not confidence inspiring?

Normally the levers should point straight down. I'd say it looks like the bars are tilted back a bit too far at this point. Personally I like my bar to hood transition to sit around level. On your bike it looks like the transition slopes upward.

With the hoods too far down on the bar I get numb fingers. The same thing happens if the bar is tilted too far forward. with the hoods too far up (or bars tilted back) you'll have more grip on the hood, but I would imagine your wrist alignment is far from ideal.
    With the bike I just built I played around with lever positions a bunch before taping, as your ability to move levers after taping are limited to a few mm up or down.

My Ride
    rally pig

With the bars tilted back it would feel a bit weird to ride in the drops. Specifically - what feels weird about it? Hand angle? Too stretched out? Unable to reach levers? Not confidence inspiring?

Normally the levers should point straight down. I'd say it looks like the bars are tilted back a bit too far at this point. Personally I like my bar to hood transition to sit around level. On your bike it looks like the transition slopes upward.

With the hoods too far down on the bar I get numb fingers. The same thing happens if the bar is tilted too far forward. with the hoods too far up (or bars tilted back) you'll have more grip on the hood, but I would imagine your wrist alignment is far from ideal.
    With the bike I just built I played around with lever positions a bunch before taping, as your ability to move levers after taping are limited to a few mm up or down.
    i tilted the angle down a little and it's much better, i can ride on the drops now and fairly comfortably on the hoods as well.
    my neck needs to get used riding so low now i think

also installed fenders on the kona, looking forward to the rainy season now

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Nice job Earl! They make such a big difference

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by taemo

i tilted the angle down a little and it's much better, i can ride on the drops now and fairly comfortably on the hoods as well.
    my neck needs to get used riding so low now i think
    Nice!
    I spend 99% of the time on the hoods. Exceptions being headwinds and descents where I need the extra braking leverage.

Couple of tips for the road bike:
    Switch hand positions frequently to prevent numbness. For neck/head position, remember to keep your chin closer to your chest. This should help with spinal alignment.
    Dropping your head and tilting it up to see will surely result in a super sore neck.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Picked up some used Stans 650B wheels and some "Road Plus" tires for commuting and gravel use. Pretty nice ride for mixed terrain.

D600 + 58 1.4G by Ryan Karr, on Flickr

Nicely done Blitz. The wheels are sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I spend 99% of the time on the hoods. Exceptions being headwinds and descents where I need the extra braking leverage.

Switch hand positions frequently to prevent numbness. For neck/head position, remember to keep your chin closer to your chest. This should help with spinal alignment.
    Dropping your head and tilting it up to see will surely result in a super sore neck.
    Good advice!

Originally posted by blitz
    Picked up some used Stans 650B wheels and some "Road Plus" tires for commuting and gravel use. Pretty nice ride for mixed terrain.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    So sick!!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

That's pretty hot, Ryan. How does it ride compared to an aluminum bike?

My Ride
    Wankels!

What sort of tire clearance do you have with the 650b setup?

My Ride
    rally pig

Nice!

2 weeks of riding and my neck is not getting sore anymore as im learning to keep my head down and look up with my eyes instead.
    my hand occasionally gets tired when resting on the hood, is it my posture and putting too much weight to the front?

D600 + 58 1.4G by Ryan Karr, on Flickr
    nice bike man!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I find my hands get more numb as I'm pedalling easier and not engaging my core as I should be. When using a more brisk pace and conscientiously trying to use 'light hands' by engaging my core, lessening my grip and lowering my elbows, the numbness seems to go away. Moving your hands around the bars helps too.

I've found starting out to be the hardest. Your hands get numb because of the above, you're not in as good of shape and your ass hurts which means you can't push/pull as much to also help take weight off the front. I'm getting there slowly, a new seat has definitely helped.

Making sure your bike is setup properly is another huge thing. Get a seat that accommodates your riding style (upright, 45 degrees, bent over) and then adjust your stem and seat position, along with your bar angle.

Just my amateur 0.02
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    is Invisible

More pics kind sir.

My Ride
    Wankels!

2 weeks of riding and my neck is not getting sore anymore as im learning to keep my head down and look up with my eyes instead.
    my hand occasionally gets tired when resting on the hood, is it my posture and putting too much weight to the front?

Nice!
    When you say your hands get tired do you mean they get sore? Or do they start to tingle/lose a bit of feeling. Tingling/losing feeling is probably due to wrist angle causing circulation issues. Not sure if that is similar to tendonitis?

Soreness might go away with time, though I guess you want to make sure you're gripping the hoods right. I like to have the meaty bits of my hand on top of the bars as much as possible for support. I noticed when I had a wrist splint (which the doctor nicely shaped so I could hold road bike bars ) I had to use grip strength to hold onto the hood. White-knuckling meant fatigue in ~1 hr of riding on smooth pavement.

My Ride
    rally pig

I feel like I'm leaning forward too much and have to move back on the saddle, and my saddle is already placed on the front of the rail. Perhaps it's time for me to replace my short stem with a slightly longer one but still angled up.
    I rest on the top of the hood with my palm closest to the thumb.
    I also noticed that my hand gets tired more when using these gloves that I own that aren't really mean for cycling, and I think that my handlebar tape doesn't have much cushion by the hood, so I was thinking of double taping it.
    Last edited by taemo; 05-04-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I feel like I'm leaning forward too much and have to move back on the saddle, and my saddle is already placed on the front of the rail. Perhaps it's time for me to replace my short stem with a slightly longer one but still angled up.
    I also noticed that my hand gets tired more when using these gloves that I own that aren't really mean for cycling, and I think that my handlebar tape doesn't have much cushion by the hood, so I was thinking of double taping it.
    Check the angle of your saddle too, if its tilted nose down it will push you onto your hands and lean forward too much.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by bigboom

Check the angle of your saddle too, if its tilted nose down it will push you onto your hands and lean forward too much.
    yes, i've confirmed that my saddle is leveled, never had any issues or felt like i was sliding forward

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If you just started riding especially on a road bike, a lot of your body parts are going to be complaining regardless. Give it some time and eventually you can dial in your position.

Slightly off topic, rode into a tunnel similar to the one in the bike pic once. My eyes couldn't adjust to the low light right away, basically rode it through half blind.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I not sure if I am reading this right, but it sounds to me that you are too stretched out.

I would put your saddle back to middle. The front of the rail makes your reach longer and will have you stretch and thus put more weight on your arms.

A longer stem will just make the problem worse IMO.

Might be time to pony up and get a bike fit done before you injure something.

Either that, or you need to ride harder. haha. Your upper body should be supported by your glutes and lower back contracting during the down stroke.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    That's pretty hot, Ryan. How does it ride compared to an aluminum bike?
    I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference at the moment, but with the 650b tires it's quite a different beast than anything I've ridden before.

What sort of tire clearance do you have with the 650b setup?
    Quite a bit of clearance everywhere, I'll snap some photos with my 700x37 and these 650bx47 for comparison.

As I was searching for used parts for that build, I ended up picking up a 2001 Litespeed Arenberg off Kijiji as a project bike and went a bit nuts on it. Luckily I had a lot of parts laying around to help subsidize the cost. Some acetone took off the old decals.

Dura-ace R9100 shifters/derailleurs/11-30 Cassette
    Dura-ace R9000 brakes
    Sram Red 53/39 Crankset
    Ultegra 6800 Tubeless wheels
    Schwalbe One Tubeless tires
    FSA Compact Carbon Bars
    Easton EC-70 Seatpost
    Selle Esse Saddle

Weighs in at 16.76 lbs with cages, but no pedals. I'm not completely happy with the colour match between the saddle and tape, but that's the only thing left to track down for it.

Litespeed Refurbished by Ryan Karr, on Flickr

Untitled by Ryan Karr, on Flickr

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast