Quantcast
Protesting students dig up lawn at UVic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protesting students dig up lawn at UVic

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Default Protesting students dig up lawn at UVic

What I really wanted to type was "dumb fuck hippies trash the quad in order to plant a vegetable garden in protest of development policy, costing the university thousands of dollars." Too long of a thread title I suppose.

I don't mind all the many, MANY useless student protests that take place on campus here. Hell, I even keep my comments to myself when my SU fees are used to fund TWO gay/lesbian rights groups or the astronomical wages paid to student employees on campus (you don't need to pay your baristas $17/hour. Seriously). However, I draw the line when your actions damage university property that I will have to pay for through increased fees or taxes. Wave your signs around, but when you start digging in the ground, it costs MONEY to fix that. MY money.

Officials at the University of Victoria were left scratching their heads yesterday after students dug up the lawn in front of the McPherson Library to plant raised vegetable beds and native gardens

Campus site managers say they have been meeting with students to plan the university's next phase of community gardens, and thought the process was going well.

Noah Ross, 27, said the planters were students unaffiliated with any group. Danielle Stevenson, another participant, said the garden action was part initiative and part protest. Both said several student organizations have put forward proposals for a garden on campus for more than 15 years. "We haven't ever been able to realize that -- those proposals have not been accepted by the administration -- so today we decided to come out here and start gardening on our own," Stevenson said.

Stevenson acknowledged a community garden already exists on campus, but said that garden will be moved, since the current site is to be used for a storage facility. "The problem is that there is a long wait list for the garden," she said, adding the campus needs more gardening space.

Neil Connelly, director of campus planning and sustainability for the university, confirmed a storage facility will be built over the current garden, but said that plan has been around since 2003. The site was picked in 2006 as a temporary location for the garden until 2011.

UVic is also looking into creating a community garden in the family and student residential complex.

Thomas Smith, executive director of facilities management at UVic, said the site of the protest gardens will be replanted as lawn.

"We have a process here where projects like that go through a campus planning advisory committee."

That won't discourage the garden protesters, who pledge to re-build their gardens, said Ross. "We're hoping the garden will be allowed to flourish," Stevenson said.
    Source: http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/...037/story.html
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

I fucking hate hippies with a passion. Makes my blood boil when hippies pull that shit.

People hate it when hippies do this stuff, but have no problem with oil companies raping the earth for their own commercial gain.

Yes
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

meh... I wish there were less lawns and more gardens, so if they use it and take care of it I don't care. Hell... I wish they would come middle of the night stealth missions style and create a garden at my house! lol

My Ride
    Bicycle

We need these guys back at that scene.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/298321/vi...own-a-beating/

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
    People hate it when hippies do this stuff, but have no problem with oil companies raping the earth for their own commercial gain.
    There's a difference between someone altering someone else's property without their consent and someone altering their own property.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by tirebob
    meh... I wish there were less lawns and more gardens, so if they use it and take care of it I don't care. Hell... I wish they would come middle of the night stealth missions style and create a garden at my house! lol
    I'm sure lots of people wouldn't mind that Except with these people, they'd be coming over to your house every day to take their share of the crop because it's for "everybody."

They fully intend to have this garden scrapped, over and over again. Actually, if they'd gone and done this in one of the green spaces by the residences, I think the university would have just let it go! But they had to do it in the quad to prove a point.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

people would hate it even more if they weren't able to drive to work or have electricity when they get home.

What benefits would this garden provide to the people paying for it....aka the students of UVic? Free food? Doubtful. It's a waste of time, money and resources, and if they were able to pull their heads out of their asses for 2 seconds maybe they would realize that.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by texasnick

people would hate it even more if they weren't able to drive to work or have electricity when they get home.

What benefits would this garden provide to the people paying for it....aka the students of UVic? Free food? Doubtful. It's a waste of time, money and resources, and if they were able to pull their heads out of their asses for 2 seconds maybe they would realize that.
    Quoted because he said everything I was about too.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

The students involved with this garden need to realize that the rules and regulations in place on campus are there for a reason. If you don't agree with them, there are better ways to protest. Now other students are going to bear the cost of fixing what they have done. And if they piss off the administration enough, it will be another 15 years before anyone gets approval for a community garden.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    has lace's

Originally posted by psycoticclown
    I fucking hate hippies with a passion. Makes my blood boil when hippies pull that shit.

BAHA

your going to have a heart attack man. Really sucks, they make you that angry.

People aren't going to like if very much, when there's no earth left to drive on either, Mr. Texas.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Originally posted by maxomilll

People aren't going to like if very much, when there's no earth left to drive on either, Mr. Texas.
    Here we go with the Texas thing again. Do yourself a favor. Think critically for once instead of just going along with everything your smelly, self righteous, "I'm such a revolutionary" friends say.

Do you use the roads?
    Do you own anything made out of something other than plants?
    Do you brush your teeth?
    Do you live in something that covers you from the elements?

....You're welcome.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    has lace's

Here we go with the Texas thing again. Do yourself a favor. Think critically for once instead of just going along with everything your smelly, self righteous, "I'm such a revolutionary" friends say.

Do you use the roads?
    Do you own anything made out of something other than plants?
    Do you brush your teeth?
    Do you live in something that covers you from the elements?

....You're welcome.

A toothbrush... what's that? I'm just very smelly and naive. I wont learn also, because I am so self righteous my HUGE ego allows no other idea's but my own.

naa I'm just kidding. I do use every one of those things. THANK YOU INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION! I agree Texas man. Oil is our number one resource and I, a citizen of todays modern society use it, and consume it, just as much as every one on here. Problem is, it's a limited resource. All I'm sayin is, there must be a better waaay!

I apologize, for blaming you solely for the crises our world is in today, with my ''Mr. texas'' remark.

Thanks for the ability and means to build a house.

-Your truly, Mr. smellyairheadtiedeidmotherfuckingdreadlockedrighteousenogoodhippie.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Wait, you're still around?

OH MY GOD, it all makes sense! Now that Nigel is gone, you come back...

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

A toothbrush... what's that? I'm just very smelly and naive. I wont learn also, because I am so self righteous my HUGE ego allows no other idea's but my own.

naa I'm just kidding. I do use every one of those things. THANK YOU INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION! I agree Texas man. Oil is our number one resource and I, a citizen of todays modern society use it, and consume it, just as much as every one on here. Problem is, it's a limited resource. All I'm sayin is, there must be a better waaay!

I apologize, for blaming you solely for the crises our world is in today, with my ''Mr. texas'' remark.

Thanks for the ability and means to build a house.

-Your truly, Mr. smellyairheadtiedeidmotherfuckingdreadlockedrighteousenogoodhippie.
    Wait... what does this have to do with consuming oil?

My Ride
    has lace's

Texasnick was taking credit for providing resources to power our homes and to drive our cars.

We got off topic.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Texasnick was taking credit for providing resources to power our homes and to drive our cars.

We got off topic.
    Actually I was taking credit for helping provide the materials needed for you to do pretty much anything, including typing in this thread.
    Texas Nick

Thomas Smith, executive director of facilities management at UVic, said the site of the protest gardens will be replanted as lawn.

"We have a process here where projects like that go through a campus planning advisory committee."

That won't discourage the garden protesters, who pledge to re-build their gardens, said Ross. "We're hoping the garden will be allowed to flourish," Stevenson said.
    Fuck. You. Hippies.

I'm pretty left wing, but hippies piss me off so fucking much. They are to the left what redneck Southerners are to the right.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Hahaha oh university students, always think they're making such a difference
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast