Quantcast
synthetic oils? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: synthetic oils?

My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0

My car comes standard with Synthetics. Apparently the filter is expensive? Dunno..

if u do the oil changes yourself then using synthetic isn't much more then regular motor oil... (6 litres of mobil 1 for only 26 bucks). Also as soon as i switched from regular motoroil to mobil 1 i noticed that my engine idled a lot smoother and more quietly.

Check the oil, if its dark and dirty change it. Mobil 1 Synthetic is the one for me. $26 for 4 litres, is that normal Marc?

Peace
    Powered by fish sauce

My Ride
    Red Cars

Originally posted by slurpeeboy
    (6 litres of mobil 1 for only 26 bucks).
    Damn that's cheap! Where at????

Anyone know why Mobil1 changed the name of their oil from Tri-synthetic to Supersyn?

Is it just a marketing scheme or what?
    Last edited by REdOX; 09-19-2002 at 10:31 PM.
    I AM...

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

cwave, the filter for your car is like 40 bucks or so. might be more i forget but, pretty much all oils do the same thing just a few different detergents and thats about it i forget who said it but NEVER EVER use AMSOIL. we sell that shit at work and after a few compaints and other problems were not able to carry it anymore. if you guys are looking for cheaper changes PM me and ill see what i can do to get some deals on product and labour.

ps. yes its just a marketing gimmick by mobil to change the name,bottle and color. along with quaker state 4X4 its the exact same and quaker state high milage just the high mileage is like 4 bucks cheaper a bottle.

According to most of the things I read and a few others using Amsoil I gave it a try. I only have about 1000kms with the stuff so don't know how well it works.

ecstasy_civic, what sorts of complaints did you get about Amsoil at your work?

Alpine Autowerks, can you described why those engines failed due to amsoil? Thanks.
    Bay Area Dreamin'
    Cruisin' in Cowtown
    10' IS F

My Ride
    08 Si

different things such as rough idle strange noises. umm poor gas mileage.

Just change the god damn oil when it is 3 months old or 4500KM, which ever comes first.
    http://www.polepositionproducts.com

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I use Mobil 1 as well, 10 year old car and the oil still looks like its new when I change it, I oay about 26 as well for 4 litres..walmart, canadian tire etc
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Red Cars

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I use Mobil 1 as well, 10 year old car and the oil still looks like its new when I change it, I oay about 26 as well for 4 litres..walmart, canadian tire etc
    Just wondering what you mean by "it still looks like it's new"?
    If the oil is doing its job properly it's supposed to change colour. If you're chaning your oil and it still looks new there might be something going on there. But I'm sure you know that already... I'm just wondering what you meant.
    I AM...

if Mobile 1 is good enough the the AMG mercs, and the 911 and the dodge viper ..... , it's good enough for my civic.. got like 10 4l Jugs of Mobile one in my garage.. I hope oil doesn't go bad..

My Ride
    08 Si

holy shit whered you get all that oil?????? thats alot of money too! lol

Originally posted by REdOX

Just wondering what you mean by "it still looks like it's new"?
    If the oil is doing its job properly it's supposed to change colour. If you're chaning your oil and it still looks new there might be something going on there. But I'm sure you know that already... I'm just wondering what you meant.
    I'm pretty sure that when he changes his oil and the oil still look clean, it is a good thing. I mean you don't want to wait for your oil to go black before changing it do you?

Engine oil's job is to lubricate, and special things depending on the addictives. If there is something wrong with his engine oil, oh I think his engine would have been dead a long time ago.

My Ride
    Red Cars

Originally posted by Pole Position

I'm pretty sure that when he changes his oil and the oil still look clean, it is a good thing. I mean you don't want to wait for your oil to go black before changing it do you?

Engine oil's job is to lubricate, and special things depending on the addictives. If there is something wrong with his engine oil, oh I think his engine would have been dead a long time ago.
    No of course it's not supposed to be black when you change it. But it is supposed to get darker. Oil's job is to not only lubricate but also pick up contaminants from the engine thus making it a different colour when doing its job.
    I AM...

But I don't understand how could the oil not be doing its job?

He put the wrong oil in?
    Oil was defective?

Please advise.

Hmmmmm, I change my own oil with cheap stuff, costs me well under 20 bucks a pop and I know that I'm snugging up the filter and plug right. I doubt that my pushrod 6 needs any better Don't know about the daytona though, I just put in QS 5-30
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    Red Cars

Originally posted by Pole Position
    But I don't understand how could the oil not be doing its job?

He put the wrong oil in?
    Oil was defective?

Please advise.
    Hey Howard... like I said earlier oil is supposed to also pick up contamination from the engine thus changing its colour. If it doesn't change colour then maybe there just isn't anything there for the oil to pick up. Even so, it might be something else as well.
    I AM...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Im assuming that by doing regular oil changes and using a high quality synthetic oil very little debris is found in the engine...since its synthetic the heat from a turbocharged engine has not caused it the oil to break down....if I was to fo an oil change every 8 thousand kms im sure it would be much darker
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by REdOX

Hey Howard... like I said earlier oil is supposed to also pick up contamination from the engine thus changing its colour. If it doesn't change colour then maybe there just isn't anything there for the oil to pick up. Even so, it might be something else as well.
    Oh yeah I get your point. So exactly what you said, his engine has nothing for the oil to pick up, thus I'm assuming his engine was very clean. That's why he said his oil still liked like new.

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

i just did an oil change in my jimmy..put synthetic oil in replacing the conventional..will i be able to go back to conventional without problems? thanks

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast