Quantcast
New 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Underrated - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Underrated

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default New 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Underrated

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/v...ustang-gt-5-0/

412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque is whats advertised but really.......

"It's like this: after seven pulls, Inside Line's tester reliably belted out 395 horsepower at 6,600 RPM and 365 pound-feet of torque at 4,350 rpm. That's at the wheel, natch, and since IL estimates the 'Stang sees only an 11% to 13% driveline loss thanks to its stick axle, the car is likely making somewhere between 438 and 446 horsepower at the crank – far more than the advertised 412.
    "

This thing is getting more and more tempting every day and from the pics it looks like they finally put some good brakes on this car

My Ride
    Bicycle

Everyone is now underrating their motors. This shit is getting old now (but a good trend)

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Sick motor...but they can keep it as long as the Mustang has a live rear axle.

Ford has REALLY stepped up their game in the past year. IIRC they submitted more patents on new technologies last year than any other manufacturer.....90 some odd were related to their new sleeving process, which if you haven't heard about, is pretty damn cool.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Sweet, just in time for when it's time for me to buy a new car

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Everyone is now underrating their motors. This shit is getting old now (but a good trend)
    Better under than over

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by texasnick

Ford has REALLY stepped up their game in the past year. IIRC they submitted more patents on new technologies last year than any other manufacturer.....90 some odd were related to their new sleeving process, which if you haven't heard about, is pretty damn cool.
    I read about that cylinder coating process a while back and it's amazing.

Ford engine technology: Good enough for the Nissan GT-R

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I wouldn't care about that since it can outperform cars like STI on the track

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I read about that cylinder coating process a while back and it's amazing.

Ford engine technology: Good enough for the Nissan GT-R
    Damn that's brilliant. I bet you can deposit harder/stronger metals for higher performance engines. 8lbs less in the engine is HUGE!!

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I've never been a Ford fan, Bowtie all the way. Except the Mustang. That's the only Ford I would consider having in my garage. This thing just keeps getting better & better. If nothing else this should force GM & Dodge to up their entries in the muscle car department. This is just like the late 1960's all over again. How long before government & insurance kill the fun?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    How long before government & insurance kill the fun?
    EcoBoost will probably kill the V8 down the road, much like what's happening in Europe.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Aleks

And it is cheaper too!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I've never been a Ford fan, Bowtie all the way. Except the Mustang. That's the only Ford I would consider having in my garage. This thing just keeps getting better & better. If nothing else this should force GM & Dodge to up their entries in the muscle car department. This is just like the late 1960's all over again. How long before government & insurance kill the fun?
    '
    Who cares? We already have 400hp cars that get 25mpg!

You can buy Cobalts that outperform STIs on the track. STIs were cool in 2005.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

My Ford stock has been going up steadily in the last little while.

I love what Ford is doing these days.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by tentacles

You can buy Cobalts that outperform STIs on the track. STIs were cool in 2005.
    Yes and it's FWD so it just proves that it doesn't matter if the Mustang has a solid rear axle because it's a capable car regardless.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    My Ford stock has been going up steadily in the last little while.

I love what Ford is doing these days.
    I have to admit, they seem like the auto manufacturer to invest in nowadays.

Found a couple more interesting Ford items;

Earlier this year, a new study by the world's leading patent analyst, The Patent Board, found that Ford Motor Company outperformed all other automakers in the quality and significance of its technology patents.

Ford's leadership in developing PTWA thermal spraying further demonstrates why Ford continues to surpass the competition in the patent arena. Ford has more than 95 U.S. and foreign issued and pending patents related to the PTWA thermal coating method and application, alone.

Ford will introduce the PTWA thermal coating process to its North America powertrain lineup within the next year, adding to the company's growing list of in-production powertrain technologies that are improving vehicle fuel efficiency without sacrificing performance.

They include:

* Ford EcoBoost gasoline engine technology, which combines turbocharging and direct injection to smaller displacement engines that offer improved fuel economy and fewer emissions, yet deliver performance feel of larger displacement engines. EcoBoost engine production began earlier this month at Ford's Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1.

* Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off, which temporarily turns off fuel to the engine when the driver releases the accelerator pedal to slow down, resulting in an efficiency improvement of approximately 1 percent. This technology was first featured on the 2009 Ford Flex.

* Cam torque actuated variable cam timing (iVCT). Ford is the first to use camshaft torsional energy rather than traditional pressurized oil to phase the camshafts, for lower parasitic energy loss and improved fuel economy. The technology debuted on the 3.0-liter V-6 engine on the 2009 Ford Escape.
    Very "outside the box" mentality. Especially the torsional energy activated cam phasing.

to Ford
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

PTWA = TWAS?

Didn't MB put TWAS on the 63 motors back in 2004-2005?

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Yes and it's FWD so it just proves that it doesn't matter if the Mustang has a solid rear axle because it's a capable car regardless.
    How does a Cobalt prove that SRA setups make capable cars? Those are two completely unrelated subjects.

IMO it's hard to justify using a SRA setup when the Cobras past have all been quite successful with IRS setups. Although, they did mention that weight reduction and chassis balance was a big part of the design process, so maybe that's the reason. I'm sure that the Cobra will still have IRS.

I didn't say that a solid rear axle Mustang wasn't or isn't going to be fast around a track. It will be. I'm just not a fan of SRA's, that's all.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

Originally posted by benyl
    PTWA = TWAS?

Didn't MB put TWAS on the 63 motors back in 2004-2005?
    It is the technology involved in the application process itself that received the patents.

Lots of manufacturers have tried using cylinder coatings like this before.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

I have to admit, they seem like the auto manufacturer to invest in nowadays.
    I want it to drop a little bit, actually, so I can buy more. Then they can go back up.

The IRS debate has gone on for years. 1/4 mile guys hate IRS, and road-course/AutoX guys hate SRA.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast