Quantcast
Review: Schwarma Station (Kensington) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review: Schwarma Station (Kensington)

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default Review: Schwarma Station (Kensington)

- Schwarma Station
    - Kensington (10th street at around 5th ave? I know it's the west side just a bit north of the wind store there, but before the safeway)
    - Food rating 4.5/5
    - Ambience 2/5
    - Service 5/5
    -Type of place: Rapid middle eastern takeout/cafeteria seating

Review proper:

Well, after picking up a game from a fellow beyonder (thanks Yue! kickass car too), I felt a little peckish and i've never visited this place before, so I decided to hop down the street and try it out. I tried to go in with an open mind, but I am kind of biased by the gigantonormous donairs one gets at A&A (Jimmy's).

Ambience:

Anyways, it's a "hole in the wall" type of place, although a very clean, well kept, organized and, to my eye, sanitary place. Big menu on the wall with prices clearly listed for everything, rack of coolers with lots of drinks, some hard to find (Pepsi Lime, some middle eastern drink I didn't know what it was, etc), and a nice prep station with good viewing, so no hiding of prep. Veggies kept in the station looked fresh and there was a constant wiping down of any cutting surface. The tables and chairs wouldn't be out of place in any cafeteria, but they were gleaming they were so clean. Definitely a good sign of an attentive owner.

People:

The owner, Sam, was SUPER friendly. I think he is Lebanese, but he speaks clear, easy to understand english and is so friendly it's almost like he's a long lost uncle. Not to be stereotypical, but he also adds "my friend," to almost any sentence. And he's ALWAYS smiling. This is a guy that is proud to prepare and serve food.

Food:

Anyways, I had a chicken schwarma to stay ($10), with no extras (no cheese, no drink, no dessert). The pitas, I'm told, are made fresh every day, and I can believe it from the taste and crispness of them. The schwarma was assembled in about 30 seconds, then into the panini press with a little flair and a big smile. The plates are metal, with a big sheet of wax paper on them, and the schwarma was deposited on said plate and cut into two pieces.

Sitting down to eat, the schwarma did look a little small to cost $10, but when I bit into it, I realized why it cost what it did. I don't know what magical fairy dust this guys sprinkles on his food, but the chicken was hot, moist and tender, the lettuce and tomatoes tasted just-picked-from-the-garden fresh, there was some kind of purple leafy veggie in there (I'm assuming red cabbage), good pickles, and the sauce was spicy but mild, and married with the meat and vegetables perfectly. The pita was crisp and crunchy where it had been grilled, and the rest was warm and pliable. All in all, it was an excellent first bite.

The schwarma was very easy to eat, only really starting to drip sauce about 3/4's of the way through each half. It also settled really nicely in the stomach, making me feel full but not bloated or gassy at all, like some donairs/schwarmas do. It was also really colorful, with all the colors presenting a very appetizing meal.

All in all, I would say that for a lunch on the quick, this is definitely a place worth stopping off in Kensington for. I could do without all the big signs covering the windows and blocking the light some, but that's my only real gripe. It's a clean hole in the wall with fast service, friendly staff, and great food.
    Geek

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I work downtown and some warm days I'll walk to Kensington just to get one of Sam's delicous donairs. He's one of the freindliest guys you'll ever meet, and super proud of his store.

Next time, get the cheese. I can't remember what kind it is, but it's some authentic mid-east variety, and it tastes like it's made from unicorn tears.

Right now, that's my favorite shwarma place in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Was the drink you saw called Freez? I love that stuff. Sam's brother owns the Desert Pita in Forest Lawn

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Freez! that's what it was called XD
    Geek

I was there a few months back, worth the trip for sure. Funny how a good owner can make a place that much better, I also hit another schwarma place on 17th BUT if it is not being run a certain employee I keep driving by. Now I want a schwarma!!

Thumbs up on the cheese as well.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

good owner = good food = good service = win

Is it Halal?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    Is it Halal?
    honestly, as I don't know what to look for to determine that, I do not know
    Geek

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just ask Sam, he'd tell you. Most places that are Halal are pretty proud of it, since I think it's a bit of a pain to maintain.

It's not something you can tell from just looking at the food. Has more to do with the butchering process AFIK.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Better than Babylon? Is Babylon still in business?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Hello my friend! Only the best for you my friend! Only the best, for the best, my friend!

Haha I love Shwarma Station, and whenever I go there with someone who hasn't been I always tell them "you're about to meet your new best friend."

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Vagabond142

honestly, as I don't know what to look for to determine that, I do not know

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Just ask Sam, he'd tell you. Most places that are Halal are pretty proud of it, since I think it's a bit of a pain to maintain.

It's not something you can tell from just looking at the food. Has more to do with the butchering process AFIK.

Yea, can't tell by looking. It's how it is slaughtered. They usually have a sign in there saying that it's Halal. It's definitely more expensive than regular chicken/beef. I'll check it out before I bring my friend. Lunch anyone?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Yea, can't tell by looking. It's how it is slaughtered. They usually have a sign in there saying that it's Halal. It's definitely more expensive than regular chicken/beef. I'll check it out before I bring my friend. Lunch anyone?
    I took a peek in there on Thursday, I did not see any signs advertising if it was Halal. It was also STUPID busy (like 30 people in line ) so I didn't want to bother them behind the counter to ask. However, I would hedge a bet here and say "no, unless verified by other means as yes."

Hope that helps
    Geek

anyone know if they have falafel sandwiches, too? and if so, are the falafels fried to order, or do they nuke them like everywhere else in this damn city???

My Ride
    335i

Is Sam the blue eyed, blond hair stocky guy?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Hello my friend! Only the best for you my friend! Only the best, for the best, my friend!

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Is Sam the blue eyed, blond hair stocky guy?
    did he sound like this? because this is exactly how he speaks
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    06 Avalon

yes it is halal
    i was there today .. soo goood!

i did some google searching, and the vast majority of comments and reviews say that this place is WAY overpriced for what you get. this is such a common review, actually, that I don't think I'd ever try this place - especially with A&A right up the hill.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, it's not a huge meal. But it's all I need.
    I feel it's decent value.

it's not so much the mass i'm concerned about, but the price/mass. i mean, IMO A&A is WAY overpriced, too, but at least the size there helps justify the cost *a bit.* $10 for a tiny sandwich is ridiculous IMO.

apparently, the owner of shwarma station admits his prices are higher than everywhere else, but he just blames it on his $10k/month rent.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nonlinear
    anyone know if they have falafel sandwiches, too? and if so, are the falafels fried to order, or do they nuke them like everywhere else in this damn city??? [/QUOTE

have you found anywhere in Calgary that makes them fried? I can't even eat the falafels in Calgary they are terrible. I am looking forward to going home just for a decent falafel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast