Quantcast
Wheeling General Discussion - Page 87 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 87 of 105 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2093

Thread: Wheeling General Discussion

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

does any one have 4:10 4:11 gearing for a dana 30 for a jeep tj laying around if so pm me please

My Ride
    Exploded.

Has anyone dealt with National 4WD?

http://www.national4wd.com/?page_id=30

I'm looking to gather accessories together and their prices are better than others,

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/shop/war...very-win-86260

http://www.national4wdonline.com/car...tegory_id=6098

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You really don’t need the 12,000lb winch. For yours, an M8000 should do just fine. If you call Northridge and talk to Stan, his price should change from what’s on the website.

It will also be cheaper if you pick it up (which I can do if you buy it before the end of September).
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'll give Northridge a call and maybe get it shipped to Calgary for free (not in a rush to get it).

Let's hope it's cheaper because National is looking good:

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/shop/war...very-win-86245

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'll give Northridge a call and maybe get it shipped to Calgary for free (not in a rush to get it).

Let's hope it's cheaper because National is looking good:

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/shop/war...very-win-86245
    Be aware that the VR series is the entry level winch and has half the line pull speed (no load/load) than the M series as the motors are different in each. Food for thought

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by 4runneron36s

Be aware that the VR series is the entry level winch and has half the line pull speed (no load/load) than the M series as the motors are different in each. Food for thought
    Ugh.... Now I'm not even sure if I need a winch because it's so damn expensive.

I'll be going in groups anyways...

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Sorry for muddying the waters, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting. But if line speed isnt a huge deal for you then go get it.

Or you could look at getting a locker instead. I'm not sure what kind of truck you have so I dont know how much one would cost but for a pre-1996 Toyota they are +/-$300 for a Spartan/Aussie, $550+ for a full locker like a Detroit, plus install (which for an Aussie/Spartan you can do yourself if you have a removeable third member).

A locker will get you more places than a winch will and is truly one of the first mods people should get after tires....heck even before tires.
    Last edited by 4runneron36s; 08-22-2013 at 03:27 PM.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

At least with a winch you can pull yourself out.. Always put winches on my quads. Plus bigger tires and f/r locked.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Exploded.

Sorry for muddying the waters, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting. But if line speed isnt a huge deal for you then go get it.

Or you could look at getting a locker instead. I'm not sure what kind of truck you have so I dont know how much one would cost but for a pre-1996 Toyota they are +/-$300 for a Spartan/Aussie, $550+ for a full locker like a Detroit, plus install (which for an Aussie/Spartan you can do yourself if you have a removeable third member).

A locker will get you more places than a winch will and is truly one of the first mods people should get after tires....heck even before tires.
    I'm rebuilding a Land Rover Series III.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Also keep in mind you really need to get your charging system sorted out before you start running a winch. Those suckers draw crazy amps.

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

I'm rebuilding a Land Rover Series III.
    Well that's easy, toss some toyota axles under it then...

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

curious, does anyone know what the largest tires I can put on a 2012 F-150 screw without cutting fenders?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Also keep in mind you really need to get your charging system sorted out before you start running a winch. Those suckers draw crazy amps.
    Yeah, I'll be double-checking that out and see what's up.

Well that's easy, toss some toyota axles under it then...
    I actually found out in a catalog that the Series III can fit ARB Air Lockers!

Wonder how hard it is to install...

EDIT: Wait, after watching the ARB video, I think that even though it doesn't have diff lock, the Land Rover can lock the transfer box and have all wheels turning at the same speed.

Last edited by flipstah; 08-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Well then, looks like that's -1 for lockers. I want to allocate my budget to useful components.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

EDIT: Wait, after watching the ARB video, I think that even though it doesn't have diff lock, the Land Rover can lock the transfer box and have all wheels turning at the same speed.
    A locking transfer case (aka Part-Time 4WD) means your front and rear drive shafts are locked together and must turn the same speed. This does not lock the front or rear differentials, which means the wheels on each axle are free to rotate at different speeds. Having open diffs, I've been crossed up with almost zero traction and had to use my brakes to get the torque distributed better.

That said, I'd lean towards getting good tires before lockers.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

A locking transfer case (aka Part-Time 4WD) means your front and rear drive shafts are locked together and must turn the same speed. This does not lock the front or rear differentials, which means the wheels on each axle are free to rotate at different speeds. Having open diffs, I've been crossed up with almost zero traction and had to use my brakes to get the torque distributed better.

That said, I'd lean towards getting good tires before lockers.
    Ah, gotcha. Looks like I'll be getting new tires after the essentials are done. I'm also planning to make it look unnecessarily badass

Once the muffler issue is solved, gonna check the swivel joints, figure out why it's leaning to the left and Garth is ready to go on a trail run.

BTW, is there anyone planning that for Fall?

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Someones gotta plan one! I did the last one, were probably going to get another big turnout (I was expecting like 6 trucks and there ended up being closer to 17), but if someone organizes it and wants to split in 2 groups I don't mind leading one of them.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Here you go.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=373768

Let's see what we can make out of this.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    1985/1986/1988 4runner

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I barely use my lockers ever, not very many situations need them... a lot of times I climb through some pretty narly stuff and people give me the ol "Damn you and your lockers"... only to find out I didn't have either of them engaged.

For deep mud lockers usually do fuck all for you, if you lock it up for hill climbs and you are spinning and get a bite you end up breaking a CV or a diff pretty quick. The only situation I can think where lockers have really benefited me is for really uneven terrain and climbing rocks.
    No CVs here or in the Land Rover. Snapping an axle shaft is not something that happens regularly with a locker, at least not on Toyotas (guys run 40's on stock axles no problem). A Birf, on the other hand can break, but the wheels would have to turned all the way and the gas pedal would have to be mashed to the floor for that to happen (generally).

For deep mud, well I avoid that as that's not really 4 wheeling (in my opinion), technical climbs/off camber is what I prefer to do and that's where my Detroit comes in to play. I've wheeled open and locked, similar mud tires, and a locker makes a huge difference. I'm only locked in the rear, but I hope to change that once I save the cash to get a Spartan and chromoly front axles and birfields.

I guess it all depends on what kind of wheeling you will do, how much pavement this will see (DD/summer DD) that will determine what your priority is. Tires and lockers will make your truck capable to do any of the local trails.

PS, with bigger tires it's also wise to upgrade your brakes and gearing

Page 87 of 105 FirstFirst ... 77 86 87 88 97 ... LastLast