Quantcast
Underground Sprinkler System - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Underground Sprinkler System

Default Underground Sprinkler System

I wanted to get a feel for what you guys think about installing an underground sprinkler system. More specifically, how expensive is it? The maintenance costs and required for the system?

My lot is not that large, and I dont live on an acreage but my yard is large enough that I could see this being used.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I installed my front yard sprinkler myself (haven't done the back yet), I think I spent $300-$400 for a programmable timer, rain detector, 3 valves, 2 boxes, 10 heads, and all the plumbing necessary to get to my backyard, where the existing sprinkler plumbing entered the house (but hadn't been used since the 60's).

It also took a whole lot of digging, lol, but I had several tree root systems to fight with as well. A newer neighborhood without so many trees would be a lot easier.

Not much for upkeep, just make sure you blow your lines out every autumn, before the ground gets to freezing levels.

edit: Oh, and don't make my mistake... be sure to put in the self draining valves at the bottom of the heads

edit #2: Don't skimp on the sprinkler heads, put MORE in than what you think you need. I put in the bare minimum, and some days it's good, but some days it doesn't cover the whole yard, I assume it's during high water usage times, so the pressure isn't as high, and doesn't reach all the grass. I'll probably be installing some more this year, or next.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 03-30-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I'm thinking of doing my yard this year as well.
    I've found this helpful:
    http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

I'm in the preliminary stages, haven't finished my design yet, but I'm figuring abour $1000 with the cost of renting a pipe puller, but I have a decent sized corner lot as well, so I've got a shitload of grass that needs watering, and no shade, so it needs a lot of watering (my lawn looks fucking terrible right now).
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    06 F-150

I recommend just doing it yourself if you don't mind a bit of digging. Last year I was an irrigation tech at a golf course, without any prior experience, and got along fine. Home systems are much easier to deal with then what I would have been dealing with.

With a little bit of reading, some hard work and some common sense you could save yourself a bundle and put together a pretty decent system.

Do it yourself, I did the front one year and the back the next. Very easy just hard work if you dig by hand. Otherwise rent a trench digger and away you go. The only thing you want to be sure of is figure out how many zones you'll need before you buy the controller. The number of zones is based off the water pressure in the house. Other then that it's a fun job.
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

I assume this is balls easy is you don't even have sod yet. Any problems with leaving it out over winter without sod or should I wait until spring to put it in?

My Ride
    06 F-150

You are planning on doing it next fall I assume? I don't see any issues with installing it and doing the sod next spring.

I take possession this summer but there's not enough time to sod before winter. I would definitely like to have the sprinklers in sooner than later though.

there are absolutely no maintenance costs, ive had mine for about 10 years now and not a single issue or dollar spent on maintenance

My Ride
    '97 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I worked at a residential irrigation company for the last 3 years, it's insanely easy to do it yourself, which I would recommend. You could do it in a weekend if you had a buddy helping, as long as your ground isn't brutal.

Hell, if you're doing it on a sunday, I could come help you do it.
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by turbotrip
    there are absolutely no maintenance costs, ive had mine for about 10 years now and not a single issue or dollar spent on maintenance
    Blow it out yourself with a compressor or..?