Quantcast
Porsche Canada announces Canadian Currency Credit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Canada announces Canadian Currency Credit

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Porsche Canada announces Canadian Currency Credit

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../05/c7723.html

MISSISSAUGA, ON, April 5 /CNW/ - Two-and-a-half years ago, at a time of US-dollar parity, Porsche was first to market with reduced prices for Canadian buyers. As the Canadian dollar once again flirts with parity, Porsche Cars Canada has introduced a Canadian Currency Credit program to effectively reduce prices. The program is subject to change at anytime.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I wish more manufacturers would play fair like this. Unfortunately the majority just pocket the extra money in the form of bloated margins and continue to BS us that they cost thousands more because Canada is a different market compared to the US and our vehicles have additional equipment such as block heaters.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Or better yet, why the same options cost more.

$2K for CF trim in the US
    $2.5K for the same CF trim in Canada. Must be the colder weather that requires a different kind of CF.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

but the boxster is still 14% cheaper in the states....

nice try but your still ripping us canadian's off

My Ride
    Is fun!

^^ yeah - and I think they drop the price "just" enough to make the importing so close in price after adding duty/taxes/shipping etc, that's it's not worth the hassle. Very clever, but still very unfair

Edit: Haven't done the math on that theory, but it wouldn't surprise me.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Kudos to Porsche, hopefully other manufacturer's follow suit.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by redline
    but the boxster is still 14% cheaper in the states....

nice try but your still ripping us canadian's off
    Gst 5% Duty 6.1%
    Overall 11.4%
    I would say this is extremely fair
    Good work porsche. Hopefully some other manufacturers follow suit.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by schocker

Gst 5% Duty 6.1%
    Overall 11.4%
    I would say this is extremely fair
    Good work porsche. Hopefully some other manufacturers follow suit.
    Except you're still paying GST when you buy it here, so the total is just the 6.1%.

8% diff is nothing to sneeze at, and people thinking of buy south of border will still do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Depreciation is higher on a US car and I do nor believe Porsche honours the warranty on US vehicles.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Except you're still paying GST when you buy it here, so the total is just the 6.1%.

8% diff is nothing to sneeze at, and people thinking of buy south of border will still do it.
    haha, man i'm dumb, sorry.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Depreciation is higher on a US car and I do nor believe Porsche honours the warranty on US vehicles.
    I do believe they still honor the warranty as a friend had brought a nice 911 back.

I do nor believe Porsche honours the warranty on US vehicles.
    They honor the warranty. I had a water temp sensor issue on my US 997TT last year that they took care of no questions asked.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I read somewhere that Porsche made something like 20% profit from every sale... the highest of any car manufacturer.

If anybody can afford to lower their prices, Porsche can.

EDIT: Here is one:

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...edirectoldpage
    I will take Toyota over Porsche any day, they may "only" make half on each vehicle BUT they sell many many times over what Porsche will sell. Perhaps the latest lawsuits will drag down the profit at Toyota, but they can wiggle a tax deduction on the lawyer fees, etc.

Let's talk about destination fees, my new Honda was dropped off in Vancouver from Japan, yet I pay the same fee as someone in PEI, and double what someone in Seattle pays.

My Ride

Originally posted by HondaKid

I will take Toyota over Porsche any day, they may "only" make half on each vehicle BUT they sell many many times over what Porsche will sell. Perhaps the latest lawsuits will drag down the profit at Toyota, but they can wiggle a tax deduction on the lawyer fees, etc.

Let's talk about destination fees, my new Honda was dropped off in Vancouver from Japan, yet I pay the same fee as someone in PEI, and double what someone in Seattle pays.
    Supply and demand, competition etc. US shipping companies charge less than Canadian ones. The destination fees are a calculated average eg. $500 to get the car to you in Calgary, $1300 to get it to someone in PEI, average of both those figures is $900 which is what each customer pays.

I always find it interesting when people here claim that the manufacturers ripping Canadians off. Were an entirely different country with different laws, taxes, and a much much lower level of sales volume. Just because we neighbour the US doesn't mean we are the US.
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 04-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I always find it interesting when people here claim that the manufacturers ripping Canadians off. Were an entirely different country with different laws, taxes, and a much much lower level of sales volume. Just because we neighbour the US doesn't mean we are the US.
    Now that the bumper law is the same that argument really doesn't hold water. North American Civics are assembled in Canada and roll out of the same plant with x amount destined for the US and x amount destined to remain in Canada to sell. We all know the taxes are different but the MSRP's should be nearly the same. Also sales volumes should never affect MSRP of products. Canadians have the same alternative manufacturers to choose from as the US does. Sales volumes should only affect buying power of large dealerships.

The company I work for manufactures our products in Calgary and sell all around the world. You can buy our product in the US 30% cheaper than you can in Canada. Why? Because Canadians have accepted that items cost more in Canada so we charge more. That's all there is to it. We could sell for the same price as the US in Canada but why when we can make more money? Our US distributors cannot sell to Canada so we are covered much like the automotive industry has done. You want our product you have to pay inflated Canadian pricing. We make out best margins selling into our own country. It's not right but Canadians as a whole have accepted it.

Supply and demand, competition etc. US shipping companies charge less than Canadian ones. The destination fees are a calculated average eg. $500 to get the car to you in Calgary, $1300 to get it to someone in PEI, average of both those figures is $900 which is what each customer pays.

I picked my car up in Vancouver, but I hear what you are saying. We get ripped off here in Canada on everything from autos to electronics. Can you name three items which cost less in Canada than the USA?
    Last edited by HondaKid; 04-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I picked my car up in Vancouver, but I hear what you are saying. We get ripped off here in Canada on everything from autos to electronics. Can you name three items which cost less in Canada than the USA?
    Canadian consumers have accepted this. I haven't as I buy nearly everything off ebay these days.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Can you name three items which cost less in Canada than the USA?

Kind of a broad term, since prices of thing vary depending where you are in each country, but...

Diesel fuel, Healthcare, and good quality herb...
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Kind of a broad term, since prices of thing vary depending where you are in each country, but...

Diesel fuel, Healthcare, and good quality herb...
    The foundation of any great nation, I would reverse the order though.

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD

Now that the bumper law is the same that argument really doesn't hold water. North American Civics are assembled in Canada and roll out of the same plant with x amount destined for the US and x amount destined to remain in Canada to sell. We all know the taxes are different but the MSRP's should be nearly the same. Also sales volumes should never affect MSRP of products. Canadians have the same alternative manufacturers to choose from as the US does. Sales volumes should only affect buying power of large dealerships.

The company I work for manufactures our products in Calgary and sell all around the world. You can buy our product in the US 30% cheaper than you can in Canada. Why? Because Canadians have accepted that items cost more in Canada so we charge more. That's all there is to it. We could sell for the same price as the US in Canada but why when we can make more money? Our US distributors cannot sell to Canada so we are covered much like the automotive industry has done. You want our product you have to pay inflated Canadian pricing. We make out best margins selling into our own country. It's not right but Canadians as a whole have accepted it.
    Without seeing cost of doing business, taxes being paid by this companies etc it's tough to truly know what goes on but from what I've seen as an example Honda USA buys their cars for much cheaper than Honda Canada, regardless of where they are made. They have stronger buying power so their cost on a civic is different than ours. The dealerships here then buy their cars from Honda Canada, I'm sure many of them would love to buy them from Honda USA but that's not possible. The only way for us to catch a break is if everything was centralized meaning if there was a Honda North America. If that were the case then they could buy the cars from Honda JP and sell them to Canada, US, Mexico all for around the same price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast