Quantcast
lawn care companies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: lawn care companies

Default lawn care companies

Just had a girl from DR.Green solicit business the other day. She was going door to door to try to get people to sign up for their
    lawn care services.

http://www.doctorgreen.com/index.php...rticle/72.html

Has anyone used Dr.Green before and if so how was your experience?

Really don't know if its worth paying someone to keep weeds down, fertilize or if its just easier to do it yourself.

I believe the package included aeration and seasonal long fertilization and weed control for $229.00

When you factor in cost of buying the product yourself and doing it I don't think it will cost that much. I figure its the labour you are paying for.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I've used them before, it was worth the money.

But I guess it really depends on how much free time you have. I'm lucky to have one full day off a week and most days I work 10-12 hours, so the last thing I want to do is deal with my own lawn with the limited free time that I have.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

Just sent them a request for a free estimate. I will let you know how it goes.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: lawn care companies

Originally posted by redbeast
    Just had a girl from DR.Green solicit business the other day. She was going door to door to try to get people to sign up for their
    lawn care services.

http://www.doctorgreen.com/index.php...rticle/72.html

Has anyone used Dr.Green before and if so how was your experience?

Really don't know if its worth paying someone to keep weeds down, fertilize or if its just easier to do it yourself.

I believe the package included aeration and seasonal long fertilization and weed control for $229.00

When you factor in cost of buying the product yourself and doing it I don't think it will cost that much. I figure its the labour you are paying for.
    Have you ever tried aerating on your own before? Pay the $230 and leave it to them. That way you're covered for the year.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Just hired them to come and power rake my lawn in addition to their "all natural" lawn care package. Came to $429 plus tax.

Did they do a good job, show up on time, etc? I just cancelled with a company after they didnt show up three times in a row.

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

There was a guy aerating down the street so I went and asked him if he had time to do my yard. He did it for 100 bucks. I don't know if thats a good deal or not but it was convenient.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by big A
    There was a guy aerating down the street so I went and asked him if he had time to do my yard. He did it for 100 bucks. I don't know if thats a good deal or not but it was convenient.
    You can rent the same aerator most "professional" companies use for $60 at home depot. Do your yard, and your neighbors for some cash on the side and not only would have saved yourself all the money, but made some money on the side.
    They're extremely straight forward to operate, if you dont know, as the rental attendant. You can be quite good at operating it in a couple minutes flat.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

EDIT: damn double post, and I cant delete my own one

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
    Just hired them to come and power rake my lawn in addition to their "all natural" lawn care package. Came to $429 plus tax.
    Hopefully they used the Astroglide while bending you over. Very healthy grass prohibits weed growth, so there realistically is no weed specific herbicide needed. All they did was aerate your lawn and used fertilizer. Oh wait, my bad, they also power raked your lawn, something you can do yourself with a shop broom and 15min of your time.
    Thankfully you can get excellent (natural) fertilizer for $45 for a 50 pound bag, being Scotts: (generic) Turf fertilizer. That said bag will last you numerous years, even if you have a huge lawn. In the fall, use their Fall mixture (high in nitrogen) and you'll have a remarkably green, drought resistant lawn with no weeds.

Total cost: $100, time involved, 2hrs tops, including aerator rental.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-25-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by TDA
    Did they do a good job, show up on time, etc? I just cancelled with a company after they didnt show up three times in a row.
    Yup. They called on Friday to let me know that they would be here Monday morning.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    EDIT: damn double post, and I cant delete my own one

Hopefully they used the Astroglide while bending you over. Very healthy grass prohibits weed growth, so there realistically is no weed specific herbicide needed. All they did was aerate your lawn and used fertilizer. Oh wait, my bad, they also power raked your lawn, something you can do yourself with a shop broom and 15min of your time.
    Thankfully you can get excellent (natural) fertilizer for $45 for a 50 pound bag, being Scotts: (generic) Turf fertilizer. That said bag will last you numerous years, even if you have a huge lawn. In the fall, use their Fall mixture (high in nitrogen) and you'll have a remarkably green, drought resistant lawn with no weeds.

Total cost: $100, time involved, 2hrs tops, including aerator rental.
    Yeah, if I knew how I am sure I could have done it myself. But its like just about everything else in life, if I don't know how to do it or have the time to do it, I'm going to pay someone else to take care of it for me. I know I paid a lot more than it would have cost me to do it on my own, I paid for a service.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Yeah, if I knew how I am sure I could have done it myself. But its like just about everything else in life, if I don't know how to do it or have the time to do it, I'm going to pay someone else to take care of it for me. I know I paid a lot more than it would have cost me to do it on my own, I paid for a service.
    Still seems like a lot of money though. I just had "Mr.Greengrass" finish my lawns.

$140 for

-leaf clean up (including the numerous flower beds we have)
    -power rake
    -aerate
    -"natural fertilizer"
    -swept my front deck clean
    -swept my back patio clean

He did in 40 min. what would take me all day (including going to rent aerator/power rake and returning them), and now I just use my own fertilizer for the rest of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride

^ Dude, you too can do all that in 40 minutes with the right equipment.... seriously. After you factor in rental costs, yeah its hard to beat $140, but for the most part, its extremely easy doing that sort of work. The five things you'd need are
    - A backpack blower
    - Aerator
    - Lawn mower to suck up the dead leaves & grass
    - Rake
    - Garbage bag to collect the dead grass & plugs from the aeration process.
    If you want me to explain the process in more detail, sure let me know, but landscaping is dead easy.
    Now you know for next year. For the proper fertilizer application, leave the (rotary) spreader on about 3/4 open, and walk at a brisk & consistent walk, take note of the end of the spray pattern, and make sure you have even overlap. Do this no more then three times a year. Thats LOTS for very green & healthy grass, believe me.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-26-2010 at 09:55 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I don't live in a condo, I don't have 100 sq/ft of grass, lol. Trust me, I did it myself for 5 years before finally hiring someone, it would take me all day to do what these guys did. It would take me an hour just to run to home depot, get the equipment, and return it when I was done.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 04-27-2010 at 03:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2010 G37x

I don't usually dig up old thread, but this is a relevant follow-up.

I ordered service from Dr Green (http://www.doctorgreen.com/) in 2010, bills were paid. This year I didn't order any service from them, yet today they billed me for servicing my lawn. Apparently they engage in "negative billing" practice, so you have to call to cancel otherwise they'll keep showing up. Google "dr green lawncare scam" for further information.

Anyways, AVOID DR GREEN at all costs.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I still say Green Drop is the best option. Decent pricing, two offices in town, they make their own fertilizer locally, only use weed control when necessary instead of blanket spraying the areas, and they've been doing it for over 25 years.

Plus, it is a local Calgary-owned business, employing over 100 people in Alberta. All the others are move-ins from out East or the US.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-