Quantcast
Druh's Bringing Back the Flow for Round 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Druh's Bringing Back the Flow for Round 2

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Default Druh's Bringing Back the Flow for Round 2

It was posted on April 1, but unfortunately it's no joke.

Link

Bow River Flow being recycled
    By Rick Bell, Calgary Sun
    Last Updated: April 1, 2010 10:17pm

This isn’t a belated April Fool’s joke. It’s city hall.
    They don’t laugh at their jokes. They act on them.

Yes, one of the civic capers driving people nuts last year is back.

Plans are now well underway for the second annual partial closing of Memorial Dr. from 10 St. to 3 St. N.W. for six hours on a summer Sunday.

Last year, organizers of the Bow River Flow, the self-styled “human-powered transportation festival,” expected a modest 10,000 to show up for their consciousness-raising shindig and even they say they only got 4,000. Many nosecounters had the number lower.

The month before, another road-closed celebration in the same neighbourhood drew at least 20 times more souls.

And, it is reported, most of those who did go to the Flow stuck mostly to the pathways by the river and the grass nearby. Far fewer ventured on the closed lanes of Memorial except the cyclists going through and this year the two-wheelers have their own deal in June at Stanley Park.

Replacing the cyclists this year will be another kind of experience, the chance to see your hard-earned provincial tax dollars at work by visiting the construction site of the Calatrava designer bridge.

Didgeridoo playing and a world-class footbridge. What could be better?

Ah, and there is plenty of time between now and the summer, especially since a city election is on the calendar this October.

In 2009, the Bow River Flow, aka the Memorial Dr. closing to rally the masses against evil four-wheel vehicles, made it to a council debate and a vote, complete with an alderman reciting a cute poem.

The majority on council went with the Flow, another loose lightbulb emerging from the spidey sense of Ald. Druh Farrell.

But there was opposition. Some just didn’t want any part of a major east-west artery ever closing.

They liked a party but thought somebody should have looked at a map.

Others, like this columnist, who support more action in a city where most of the sizzle is spent on the human hamster wheel, especially didn’t like the preachy tone.

There was a time people fighting the causes of working people actually fought for fairness, the bread and butter issues. Now working people who can’t afford to live in the pricey digs of trendy Sunnyside are told they’re not as politically upright as the self-appointed smart set because they might own a truck.

One line is remembered from the 2009 Bow River Flow rollout.

“The machines have not taken over our cities quite yet.” Yah, that’s showing them.

Ryan Jestin, the city’s poobah of pavement, says he hasn’t seen a permit application. Last year, the Flow was advertised before they had a permit or even applied for one.

Normally the city expects an application 90 days in advance. That’s next month.

Applications can be taken 30 days before. That’s what this crowd will no doubt do to avoid political heat since city council’s last meeting before the election is July 19.

Jestin says his headaches come if the Flow expands much beyond where it is, a goal of the organizers.

He says he likes events but “we can’t always do it at the expense of traffic.”

Does he expect political warfare again?

“That’s the part where I’m not sure,” says Jestin.

Enter Ald. Diane Colley-Urquhart, who holds the gavel of the council committee overseeing roads. It wouldn’t be overstating things to say she is not a Flow fan, nor a real buddy of our Druh.

“Just because a road cuts through your ward doesn’t mean you own it,” says Big Red.

“The event wasn’t a success. Why do we have to go through this again? It’s ridiculous.”

Big Red thinks this IS an April Fool’s joke, a little late.

“What can I possibly say that’s positive? One thing about city hall, things never die. They always come back again.”

The straight-talking Ald. Andre Chabot is also on the committee.

“If given the opportunity to vote for or against I would vote against, in support of my constituents. They had a chance to see the results and saw it was a flop. Once it’s a flop, dump it.”

Andre, when will you learn? The city doesn’t like to dump its garbage. It recycles.
    Beyond meet?
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

keegan
    - 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Jesus christ, I want to rent an apartment for a month in Ward 7, just so I can help vote that bat out of city council.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Diesel truck meet at the same time? That should help put the hippies in place.

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    haha thats exactly what I was thinking. There is that one dood on here warning everybody to watch out for the plumes of smoke he was going to be leaving at stop lights. We need his help now!!

I'm so glad I am out of this ward at the end of this week.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    Not even diesel... just cars without a cat, the stench is nasty and will saturate the air given the snails pace traffic there was last year.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

What if Ryan Jestin just... denied the permit application?

Edit: I wanted to see if the BowRiverFlow site was still up, but I tried bowriverflow.com and... lol.
    Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-04-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    Old Car

Yeah, seen that news and was talking with a friend in what he thinks. He said that Memorial Dr should be left alone to allow traffic flowing along. Also said Druh is a dingbat!

Guess it's time for "heavy traffic" of stinkin' scent to spread while idle at snail's pace. Druh and her foil-hat hippies should know their places and go away!

The vote BETTER be rejected, and killed down!

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Why not do It a block back into sunnyside (ward 7)??

Memorial is a hugelý major street. The other day one lane near kensington was blocked off on a sat. For construction and westbound memorial was backed to shit.

This is the last thing calgary needs.
    Last edited by swak; 04-05-2010 at 02:20 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I'll see her bow river flow and raise her a Stoney Trail Street Race day.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    G6

Not again! I live just about there and shat like this gets on my nerves. Paintballing from balcony perhaps?

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    What if Ryan Jestin just... denied the permit application?

Edit: I wanted to see if the BowRiverFlow site was still up, but I tried bowriverflow.com and... lol.
    hahaha... that site is full of truths too.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

It's kind of funny but I hate that cunt so much that now daily rather than take Memorial drive to the west I cut through Sunnyside now just to spite her. I encourage everyone to do this and bring mass traffic through the community until the residents vote the bitch out.

Anyone notice the lights on Memorial at the center street underpass heading to Sunnyside have had the timing changed? It's been the same free flowing intersection for over a decade and now cars heading West get backed up to Edmonton Trail. Stinks like Druh.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-06-2010 at 08:09 AM.