Quantcast
friday night emergency! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: friday night emergency!

Default friday night emergency!

I hope someone is reading this on a friday night.

So my car wont start and I'd really like to get it started, right now.

Here's the scoop. I was going to change my oil today, and I tried to take off the oil filter and failed miserably, and concluded that I'm going to have to pick up a filter wrench tomorrow. I am sure I didn't even move it the least bit. However, since I was under the hood I did remove a sub cable that was of no use to me. It was connected to the positive terminal, but all fragments of copper wire and such are completely removed so the wire isn't connected to anything anymore.

So I go to start the car and the electronics fire up fine, and then the engine doesnt start. There is a buzzing noise though and then it stops. The oil and battery light come on as well... headlights work fine though. Basically, I have all the power, but the engine just won't start and all I changed was the sub cable, i tried reconnecting the battery but got the same results. Is it possible I knocked something by the filter? its an s14 blacktop if that helps. '

Someone save me!

edit: I tried tightening the oil filter back on but I'm sure I didn't even manage to loosen it at all anyways

Check the connections to the starter.
    dv/dt

This is totally noob I know, but what does the starter look like? Is it the cyclinder shape by the filtrer mounted to the strut towers?

YESSSSSSSSSS alright did some googling and wasn't entirely sure but I had a check at what i assumed to be the starter. Turns out I did indeed knock a connection right off. Thanks man!! I owe you!

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Starter on a sr20 or ka24 is on the driver side, where the transmission meets the engine. It will be just towards the firewall from the motor mount, about the same level. Is it clicking when you try to start it? you may have knocked off the starter activate wire.

Glad I could help, but I hope for the car's sake you didn't do the swap yourself.
    dv/dt

Originally posted by ZiG-87
    Glad I could help, but I hope for the car's sake you didn't do the swap yourself.
    hahaha nope. Mechanics are generally a new interest of mine, takes me ages to do even the most simple job but I am learning (ever so slowly). All I know is I stuck some thing back on today by the oil filter and then everything worked. Like magic! lol

thanks again

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Starter on a sr20 or ka24 is on the driver side, where the transmission meets the engine. It will be just towards the firewall from the motor mount, about the same level. Is it clicking when you try to start it? you may have knocked off the starter activate wire.
    I knocked some wire off by the oil filter, not sure what it was. No clicking sounds, just a buzzing sound for a few seconds and then it would stop trying.

My Ride
    92 toyota

buzzing was probably just your fuel pump.
    rides

92 Gt-Four ,my black beauty

05 Rav4 , wife made me buy it.

My Ride
    EP3

Originally posted by Chantastic

hahaha nope. Mechanics are generally a new interest of mine, takes me ages to do even the most simple job but I am learning (ever so slowly). All I know is I stuck some thing back on today by the oil filter and then everything worked. Like magic! lol

We all gotta start somewhere. There will be days when you'll screw up really bad, but that's how you learn. One day, you'll look back, remember, and laugh.

Nice work!

I appreciate the support for my amateur level of knowledge, most people just bash. That day where I look back and laugh was today. I got a good clamp to get that filter off, and knocked off the same wire thing again, but this time I was aware of it and fixed it immediately.

Anyhow, I have an oil filter question for you guys. Some of you may have seen my thread where I am sellinhg 2 KA oil filters which i mistakingly ordered. Anyways I got back on the website I ordered them from and ordered 2 K&N Gold performance filters. The rep said that the redtop and blacktop were different, and that HP2008 is for the S14 black. So I ordered two of those, and they came in and I attempted installing one today. I couldn't get it to thread no matter what I did. I figured maybe it was a defective unit so I tried the other one I had ordered, no luck there either. Then I tried the old oem filter and it screws on in an instant. So to be sure, I took one of the KA filters I had ordered previously and looked at the mount. Like the K&N's, the threaded section is convex, while the nissan oem filter was concave. So my question is: is the HP2008 indeed the filter for the S14 blacktop or did the rep make a mistake? I couldn't get the K&N's on at all so as horrible as it sounds I threw the old filter back on, sure to drain it as best as I could first, and I'll have to wait till I can get to the dealer, hopefully they are open monday to get more oem filters. Doesn't seem like any regular supply shop carries them.

Edit: according to wiki, 95 sentra SE-R's run the same filter
    Last edited by Chantastic; 04-03-2010 at 11:17 PM.

My Ride

s13 blacktop and red top are the same, s14 is different im pretty sure. For an s13 blacktop or red top, you use the same oil filter part number for a 1995 infiniti g20 with an sr20de.

if you need a filter, the fram part number at canadian tire is 4386. Yah yah, go ahead and flame me you fram haters, ive ran fram on every sr20 i have ever had, and had ABSOLUTELY no issues with them at all.

My Ride
    Deebee8

Buy one for a g35, it's the same as s14

My Ride

Originally posted by jdmsource
    Buy one for a g35, it's the same as s14

ah yah, forgot he has an s14 engine in there.

PFFF

haha thanks guys. For the G35, there is only one filter I'd imagine, for all of the VQ trims? Would a Z33 filter fit then as well?

Found this on nico:

"just buy for the 95 or 96 sentra se-r. But I do know that depending on the year of your s14 sr, you may still need to use the 91 se-r oil filter which is the ones you use on the s13 sr20. "

I think I'm just going to head to the dealer asap and get whatever the exact filter is that's on there now, since its small, easy to fit, and screws on fine (15208 65F0C). I think I am going to email the rep back to confirm whether or not the k&n HP2008 is actually supposed to fit or not.
    Last edited by Chantastic; 04-03-2010 at 11:48 PM.

My Ride

Yah i think they are referring to either kouki or zenki s14 engines. Aparently there is a difference, maybe i should start boning up on my s14 info. I mostly deal with s13, and altho s14 is fundamentally the same thing, there are MANY differences yet.

Alright, that filter I had mentioned before that's on my car right now, 15208 65F0C, is indeed the G35/350Z filter. I think the 370/G37 as well. I'll just give the part number to them to be sure.

My Ride
    M3/C300

I have an S14 SR, the fram part# for the oil filter is PH6607.
    Might wanna check out wal-mart as well. Got one there at the shawnessy wal-mart for 6$ i believe.

But anyways, if they sell fram, just give them #PH6607 and they can cross reference it from other filter companies.

hope this helps

Thanks bud, just ended up stacking on oem ones from the dealer.