Quantcast
jdm conversion?-->rice? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: jdm conversion?-->rice?

Default jdm conversion?-->rice?

well lets get one thing down im not here to cuss out jdm conversions. just an interesting topic.

i was reading my super street magazine, "The Wong Way"

j-wo brought up an interesting topic that caught my eye in his monthly column.

"Everyone has an opinion on what means to be ricey. You could be sporting an unpainted Brand X body kit from a 1996, a quadruple-colored vinyl interior, and a knockoff set of wheels that look like the real thing- thats one way to look at it."

"For example, let's pick a popular US automotive make that's also available in Japan. It could be a Civic, a 240sx, or a Corolla. Now what are their names back in the motherland? Ferio, Silvia, and Levin (or Trueno). Four years ago, you probably would have referred to your ride as a 240 coupe, but now it only seems right if you call it a Silvia. But is that right? Do you really own a Silvia? No, you own a 240sx. So why are we calling them by their Japanese counterparts? Just because it's cool to be JDM? And no matter how much work you do to turn it into a Silvia, it still won't be a Silvia because it's still a US 240. So are we being ricey when we call our US cars by their Japanese names? Maybe just a little."

there you go that's the topic. my point on being ricey is different from his. but lets start the debate.

if you want to read more about this (i skipped out a few paragraphs) this is in the December issue of Super Street (the AE86 dirft car on the front) pg 31.

edit: er lets hear your opinions
    Last edited by l/l/rX; 12-06-2003 at 05:35 PM.

I think this thread is ricey.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

My opinion on "RICE"...And I dont wanna get flamed by some kids who disagree...this is just my Two Cents...

Rice - Any part or accessory that does not enhance performance...whether that be, acceleration, braking, turning, downforce, HP and/or TQ...These include neon underglow, stickers (unless you have a tasteful sticker of a part that is ON your ride...(oh and beyond.ca and car club stickers are exempt from the above)...HUGE Airliner wings in FWD street cars, Disc Brake simulators...BOV simulators...Race harnesses in vehicles with no roll bars and/or cages...

Yes, these items are ALWAYS up to the indivdual, I mean to each their own right??...I might have items on my Talon no one else likes...That's Human Nature...But slapping a sticker and some underglow on your ride, DOES NOT mean you are driving a "tuned" machine...

Again, PLEASE don't flame me...I just stated my opinion...

Arif
    Last edited by EK 2.0; 12-06-2003 at 06:07 PM.
    ...@therealarifjina...

everyone has their definition of what "rice" is. bottom line don't put what you think is rice on your car..

My Ride
    97 EK

I heaer that JDM is going to be teh next rice anyways.. I kind abeleive it. once epopel get bored of something then it becomes frowned upon.
    I'm going to buy a 89 camaro.

My Ride
    F22 Raptor

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
    My opinion on "RICE"...And I dont wanna get flamed by some kids who disagree...this is just my Two Cents...

Rice - Any part or accessory that does not enhance performance...whether that be, acceleration, braking, turning, downforce, HP and/or TQ...These include neon underglow, stickers (unless you have a tasteful sticker of a part that is ON your ride...(oh and beyond.ca and car club stickers are exempt from the above)...HUGE Airliner wings in FWD street cars, Disc Brake simulators...BOV simulators...Race harnesses in vehicles with no roll bars and/or cages...

Yes, these items are ALWAYS up to the indivdual, I mean to each their own right??...I might have items on my Talon no one else likes...That's Human Nature...But slapping a sticker and some underglow on your ride, DOES NOT mean you are driving a "tuned" machine...

Again, PLEASE don't flame me...I just stated my opinion...

Arif
    dude, you're totally right. I think the whole anti-rice thing stems from people thinking they drive tuned cars because of ANY mods they might have done. You hit it right on the mark.

frostyda9 Guest

I am so sick of the "rice" debate
    Some JDM mods are ricey, while others are not.
    I wouldn't give up my JDM headlights, but I'd never spend money on a "JDM fuel filler door sticker". To each his own...can we just leave it at that?

My Ride
    Pathfinder

Originally posted by frostyda9
    I am so sick of the "rice" debate
    Some JDM mods are ricey, while others are not.
    I wouldn't give up my JDM headlights, but I'd never spend money on a "JDM fuel filler door sticker". To each his own...can we just leave it at that?
    some JDM parts are just for looks but they also performe better in the sence of JDM lights I want to get them becuase they are lighter then my stock ones (stock = glass JDM= Plastic) plus they are brighter so it is safter to drive at night. Other things are just to personalize my car. I want to get JDM powere folding mirrors. not becuase they look any different. But becuase In my opinion i like them i think its a good idea and im sick of people fucking with my mirror in parking lots.

anyways just my 2 cents

Drew

My Ride
    a wrx.

i am the definition of rice. there, i said it. end of discussion.

omg. we need a "what is rice" thread stickied.

My Ride
    04 maxima, 03 ML320

i think hes got a point!!!

man i dont think its rice, 240 for example. if you DO a sr swap, then yea call it a sylvia it has its engone, and engine is what counts...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by legereandrew4
    man i dont think its rice, 240 for example. if you DO a sr swap, then yea call it a sylvia it has its engone, and engine is what counts...
    So if I put an Integra engine into my Civic I can call it an Integra?

My Ride
    04 maxima, 03 ML320

or if you put a type R engine in a lil civic cx..u can put TYPE R stikers on??

My Ride
    Pathfinder

what about if i put "Honda Integra" on my integra instead of Acura? I mean its built in japan. and the Motor Says Honda motor company

My Ride
    2005 S50

Originally posted by legereandrew4
    No Buddy, Than you have a 240sx w/ sr20det, If you wanna call it a Silvia than Import 1. You can however call it an S13 as that is the model Id in North America and Japan.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

But how would you mention that your car has an sr20det in casual conversation. Calling it a silvia is just an easy way to let people know what you have. And putting a silvia engine in the U.S version of a silvia is not the same as putting a B18 in a civic. The integra and civic have completely different bodies/charactaristics. A 180sx and a 240sx w/ sr20det are very similar cars, differing only in the side that things are put in the engine bay, and that the japanese version is RHD.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

I think kids should keep ricing up their cars, Doesen't hurt anyone, It's also good entertainment

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by illeagle
    I think kids should keep ricing up their cars, Doesen't hurt anyone, It's also good entertainment

Exactly, makes them feel even worse when they get walked on by a "sleeper" after they just spent 3k in tacky "no-go" accessories
    Travel

My Ride
    2005 S50

Originally posted by Firefly/wRims
    But how would you mention that your car has an sr20det in casual conversation. Calling it a silvia is just an easy way to let people know what you have.
    By saying: hey I got a Sr20det!.

Originally posted by Firefly/wRims
    And putting a silvia engine in the U.S version of a silvia is not the same as putting a B18 in a civic. The integra and civic have completely different bodies/charactaristics. A 180sx and a 240sx w/ sr20det are very similar cars, differing only in the side that things are put in the engine bay, and that the japanese version is RHD.
    Ya but You still don't have a 180sx or a Silvia you have a 240sx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast