Quantcast
Pho (Vietnamese Noodles) Explained - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pho (Vietnamese Noodles) Explained

Default Pho (Vietnamese Noodles) Explained

Thanks for Thich for writing this... thought I'd share as I am sure this topic will pop up on this forum! haha

WHAT IS PHO?

1) it is the most bang-for-your-buck meal I can think of. An X-Large bowl of Pho can pretty much make you full for $5.50 usually.
    Although Edmonton just rapes you when it come good Viet food..... (remember a couple weeks back Sykes? grrrrrr.)
    I heard there are a few good Viet restaurants up there tho. They were closed for the day when Sykes and I went tho.

2) it is a NOODLE SOUP; not just any type of noodles either, Pho noodles are actually 100% rice (not to be mistaken with any affiliation to cars). Most Pho dishes will be made by stewing beef (ribs, flank etc etc.) to extract the necessary flavor which gives Pho its distinctive taste. Pho also may or may not have the added flavour of burned onion; and as well as a mixture of spices to add flavour to it.
    There are many varieities of Pho; go to a Pho restaurant and you will be able to see this. Pho is NEVER cooked with duck. If you ever get a Pho Duck -- you're getting shafted b/c someone is pulling a mask over your head and feeding you crap!
    It is almost always cooked with Beef and beef derivatives and sometimes even beef tail (anyone who has tried this will agree that the soup base tastes incredibly sweet.) Some varieties of Pho will use chicken.

3) Pho history: it started off in Northern Vietnam and slowly integrated itself into the southern regions.
    It is an "anytime of the day meal"; in Vietnam, you will find pho stands everywhere at all times of the day. Pho for breakfast is a common sight.
    Pho from the Northern region will almost always comprise purely of beef and beef derivative soup bases.
    When you move to the central region of Vietnam, there will be more variety in the meat medium used to cook Pho.
    There are also varying varieties in how spicy the Pho will be as well since central region Vietnamese people are known to eat spicy foods (I know... I'm from central VN).
    Southern region Pho is a combination of other regions and derives no specialties that can be affixiated with that region itself.

4) How to eat Pho: Use a chopstick and Chinese soup spoon. You will also usually have an assortment of sauces to apply to the dish to give added flavour to it.
    Hoisin Sauce: (AKA Black Soya Bean Sauce -- not soya sauce)
    a black sauce with thick consistency and a sweet fragrance to it. It adds sweetness to the Pho.
    Chili Sauce: (AKA hotsauce) -- adds spice to the dish
    Fish Sauce: (AKA Nuoc Mam) a pungent smelling light brown transparent sauce which adds an almost sour-sweet taste to the Pho. Note: Commonly used in most Vietnamese dishes

5) Best Pho restaurants in Calgary: From my personal experiences, I like staying in the SE where most of the good stuff is. Pho Xuan, and Pho Dau Bo (it's alrite)

-------
    update!

originally Pho used Pork (and chicken) as the main meat medium until the French introduced the Vietnamese to Beef (which was primarily used beforehand as the main source of farming equipment back in the day..)

so give it up for the french who taught Vietnamese ppl to appreciate beef as a food ingredient
    and the french also introduced the baguette into Vietnam too... what would the world be without Vietnamese subs???

Pho is not the only Vietnamese dish out there.
    There are a variety of Bun dishes (another form of rice noodle but called rice vermicilli). This dish is cooked with many forms of meat and poultry; duck, chicken, pork and beef.
    Bun Bo Hue (Hue-style Beef stew Bun noodle soup) is my fave and
    Bun Bo Kho (stewed beef bun noodle soup) is my second fave bun dish.
    Bun dishes also are not restricted to noodle soups. There are "dry" dishes which usually incorporate some form of charbroiled meat/bbq'd meat and fish sauce.
    ---

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Nice write up.

Pho indeed sucks in Edmonton. Stupid ppl should be ashamed of themselves.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I tried Winnipeg Pho 2 months ago. I left with diareah.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    I tried Winnipeg Pho 2 months ago. I left with diareah.
    http://www.pusboil.com/diarrhea1.wav

My Ride

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

hmmmmm pho

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Originally posted by bol

where do u come up with this stuff?

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Originally posted by bol

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Well done descriptive! Now.... how do you properly pronounce it?

My Ride
    Corolla

I pronouce it "Food".

My Ride
    changes daily :D

i haven't had the opportunity to try pho yet, but i am really looking forward to it...now correct me if i am wrong, but is it in a sense like ichiban??? i dunno i am dumb. oh yeah is the correct pronounciation basically "fo"?? i am white so i don't know how to pronounce it and i don't want to look like a retard if i find someplace to buy some

My Ride

Originally posted by infamous
    oh yeah is the correct pronounciation basically "fo"??
    Close enough!

My Ride
    changes daily :D

aight thanks.... i could totally see myself going into somewhere that has it and saying "hi, can i please get some food?" and then getting laughed out of the store because i am white

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Yeah, I think its kinda like foe, but with a VERY slight "uh" on the end of the Pho. I dunno, I'm white canadian, born and raised, but thats what it seems like...

Pho
    Travel

i haven't had the opportunity to try pho yet, but i am really looking forward to it...now correct me if i am wrong, but is it in a sense like ichiban??? i dunno i am dumb. oh yeah is the correct pronounciation basically "fo"?? i am white so i don't know how to pronounce it and i don't want to look like a retard if i find someplace to buy some
    Its a really tasty version of ichiban, but the noodles are made of rice and theres slices of beef and other various beef parts. Pho is pronounced Fuh (or something like that).
    ---

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

aight thanks.... i could totally see myself going into somewhere that has it and saying "hi, can i please get some food?" and then getting laughed out of the store because i am white
    that is why you say " gime a 69 biatchhhh!"

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

5) Best Pho restaurants in Calgary: From my personal experiences, I like staying in the SE where most of the good stuff is. Pho Binh Minh (Sunrise), Pho Xuan, Pho Dau Bo (it's alrite)
    might have to start a new show on the food network "kenny's pho tours"

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Pho the world over? I'm sure shaw's community network would pick it up for sure

Clem is offline FLAMESFAN 4LIFE-Canes in 4
    My Ride
    Turbo AWD Sled

Originally posted by CRXguy
    Nice write up.

Pho indeed sucks in Edmonton. Stupid ppl should be ashamed of themselves.
    Better than the dry, chewy chicken feet you guys in Calgary have at Dim Sum. Ewwwwww

My Ride
    BMW

Speaking of crappy Pho.. by far, Edmonton has the shittiest ones I've ever tasted (and not only Pho). It's really ironic seeing as the Nammer population up there is much higher...
    Slightly better is the Pho in Vancouver, but still nothing compared to the stuff down here in Cow-town!

Hey, what are your favourite Pho places in Calgary?

Personally I like Pho Dau Bo. It's up the in the hardcore N.E. HOOD, so I doubt most will have been there...

-b6b

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast