Quantcast
Just curious - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Just curious

My Ride
    RSX Type S

Default Just curious

Hey guys anyone ever buy that stuff from JB's that you can paint your licence plate with to block or glare over the pic - so you can't get a photo radar ticket ..... I know the covers are way to easy to see and they are very obious -- I also heard that the sparkly finger nail polish will work too -- this all bullshit or would it actually work --- Just got another photo radar ticket and I am getting sick of them -- and its not like I am gona slow down hehehe
    RSX Type S driven by
    The Pizza Guy

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I don't have any practical experience with it, but that stuff always struck me as snake oil. Maybe it really does work, but I doubt it would last all that long as it probably washes off in your typical car wash situation or maybe even just a heavy rain. Buyer beware I guess. You might be able to find a review of the stuff on the internet somewhere, hopefully and unbiased one not by the manufacturer.

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

I heard that a good coat of hairspray, left to dry on the plate, works the same. Can't say if it really works though...

The stuff works in the sense that on the photo you wont be able to see your plate too well, but according to the cops in an article in the Calgary Herald about a year ago, it is both illegal to "deface the plate" by using the spray and that with a bit of photo manipulation they will be able to make out the plate.

The other alternative (which isn't illegal) is a clear cover for the license plate which produces a glare when a flash hits it.
    ---

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Originally posted by kenny
    The stuff works in the sense that on the photo you wont be able to see your plate too well, but according to the cops in an article in the Calgary Herald about a year ago, it is both illegal to "deface the plate" by using the spray and that with a bit of photo manipulation they will be able to make out the plate.

The other alternative (which isn't illegal) is a clear cover for the license plate which produces a glare when a flash hits it.
    hmm... that's odd... my friend got a ticket for having a license plate cover before, yet he fought it and won so... hmm... having those covers can be a pain in the ass at times..

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

anything that obscures the plate is illegal.

The clear covers are legal according to the article.
    ---

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I know people that have got hassle from the cops over clear covers, but that is when those clear anti-photo radar covers were floating around.

But anything the cop thinks rescricts view of the plate can/will be illegal.

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

hmm... i think hyundai actually sells and installs those clear reflective license plate covers at the dealerships... i've seen countless turban (tiburons) with them on there... really makes me wonder why my friend got pulled over last time we had a clear license plate cover on the accord :duh:
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

i hear u can paint ur license plate with some laquor...which is clear paint that does the same thing those license plate covers do...but i doubt a cop would know u have it on

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    purdy blue car

They did a test of all these methods on one show (I forget the name of it). They all failed miserably. A clear shield will only produce flash glare if the flash is directly in line with your car, which it never is, so your license plate comes out crystal clear on the picture. They showed the results of the photos. Some methods did make it a bit tougher to see the numbers on the photos, but all they did was switch to negative view, and it was clear as day.

The only ones that work are the one's that are illegal - they're a polarizing type filter that obscure the view of your plate unless you're looking at it pretty much dead on.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.