Quantcast
Wind blew someone else's shit into my shit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wind blew someone else's shit into my shit

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Default Wind blew someone else's shit into my shit

Apparently my truck didn't come out of last week's wind storm unscathed. The wind blew a bunch of shingles off the building I live in. The hood and passenger doors are all scratched up from the shingles blowing across it. What I thought was interesting was that no one else lost any shingles around me, which tells me that they all took proper measures to secure their shit to their property. Not my landlords though.

I kind of expect that just because the wind picks up, someone else's shit won't blow into mine, and that expectation doesn't seem unreasonable when a) no one else's shingles blew off, and b) we live in the fucking prairies, but the building manager says it's an act of God and it's not their responsibility. She said that if a tree blew into her car, she wouldn't go after the owner of the tree and we went back and forth for a while on whether or not a tree can be owned, but to me the fact of the matter is that property for which she is an agent came into contact with and fucked up my property.

Furthermore, we won't be getting new shingles until their insurance shit goes through, so I was told that if it rains in the meantime and somehow wrecks my shit, that's on me too because that's why I carry insurance.

Am I just a fucking asshole on both counts, or what?

Shit happens to cause shit to blow into your shit. That's what insurance is for.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I understand your thinking - but it doesn't sound like they were exactly being NEGLIGENT. The only time I would try to go after someone for something is if they did something to aid in my stuff getting damaged. And really dude - there isn't much you can do to secure shingles; they should be on there their lifetime.

This is, after all, what we have insurance for isn't it?

Sorry but, your style of writing and loose use of the expression "shit" made me

On a serious note, i have no real expertise on this matter. Good luck getting your shit in order and getting the landlord to own up to her shit wrecking your shit.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

shit...

My Ride

No shit?

Well, shit.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    335i

Not their problem. Call your insurance company. Shit happens.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Looks like the shit winds are blowing.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Just as an aside, how does this differ from the incidents that have happened when items off of a roof top downtown that have had blown off during a windstorm and killing someone not consitute the same effect?

I'm just wondering. I don't know if those items were secure or not; however, if they weren't, then is it not the same argument here that the person's house should be secure? I mean, from what I've read, the compay who was doing the build downtown is getting in heaps of trouble because their items were flying around and ended up killing someone.

In this case, the house had items flying around and damaging something as well, so in my eyes these situations are somewhat analagous to one another no?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Oh sorry, and to contribute to this thread in a worthwhile fashion...

I sense that the shit is about to hit the fan here!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Did any of the shit hit the fan?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 08:01 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Had there been more shit caused by the loose shit flying off some shit, there would be investigation to find out where the shit is from and who's liable for the shit.

Now that the damage is so small to the scheme of shit, no one is going to do shit. It's shitty but there isn't shit you can do other than phoning your insurance.

My Ride
    See sig

With the whole 9th-ave-construction-zone-massacre from wind storms in the past, the city police might be very interested to hear that heavy slabs of shingles laced with nails may not be properly secured to the roof of your building.
    Last edited by bituerbo; 04-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

Darn, thats shitty.

Insurance time. They probably don't cover wind though, but you can try... It would be darn near impossible to confirm that the shingles were the cause of scratches though.

More than likely you are SOL, just like a guy I knew who had his car flooded with water after a sewer clog on the street.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by LUDELVR
    Just as an aside, how does this differ from the incidents that have happened when items off of a roof top downtown that have had blown off during a windstorm and killing someone not consitute the same effect?
    The incidents downtown were caused by unsecured construction materials. That's the primary difference here. For the OP to claim the same, the shingles would have had to have been placed on the roof in loose bundles, and then not tied down in any fashion, vs the nailing that they supposedly had.

Freak wind storms do stuff man. Incidentally, I think you can own a tree. I bought our tree's. They're on my property. They're mine. If my tree decides to break apart and crush my neighbors car, it's an act of god. Especially I prune them to keep them safe, and take all reasonable precautions to prevent such an action. But I can't control the weather. Nor can the owner of the shingles.

It is why we have insurance though. And if you're roof is potentially going to be leaking.. be sure your tenant (content) insurance is paid up.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Ahh...that clears it up. I only heard of things flying around downtown and ended up killing someone.

In any case, yeah, shit happens I guess. If they were secured down and the wind just got the best of it, then yeah, that's what insurance is for.

On a different note, in Chestermere, one of the houses down the street from my folk's place had a number or packaged shingles sitting on their roof for several months. I reckon they were plannign to do it but got too cold and they ended up leaving it there. I haven't driven by there for a while but for months it was just sitting there, unsecured! This would be more synonymous with the downtown event I guess.

Thanks for the clear up.

Originally posted by codetrap

The incidents downtown were caused by unsecured construction materials. That's the primary difference here. For the OP to claim the same, the shingles would have had to have been placed on the roof in loose bundles, and then not tied down in any fashion, vs the nailing that they supposedly had.

Freak wind storms do stuff man. Incidentally, I think you can own a tree. I bought our tree's. They're on my property. They're mine. If my tree decides to break apart and crush my neighbors car, it's an act of god. Especially I prune them to keep them safe, and take all reasonable precautions to prevent such an action. But I can't control the weather. Nor can the owner of the shingles.

It is why we have insurance though. And if you're roof is potentially going to be leaking.. be sure your tenant (content) insurance is paid up.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

shitty

My Ride

Originally posted by ZenOps
    It would be darn near impossible to confirm that the shingles were the cause of scratches though.
    There's tar and shit where the scratches are, and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have known what they were from.

As you can see it's not that bad, but it's still something I want fixed.

This would be a lot more palatable if they didn't have such an attitude. The rent on this place is outrageous for what it is. There's two buildings here that aren't even full, maybe half full, and they've just finished construction on another and they're starting on a fourth. Meanwhile, it's becoming apparent that this place is a cheaply built piece of shit and their attitude isn't "hey, thanks for choosing us, we really appreciate it", it's "well, if you don't like it here maybe you should move".

I hate being a complainy dick but there's a lot of things that are fucked, they don't do anything about it on their own, and they seem put out to have to do anything other than collect money. Speaking of which, when I was looking at this place, the manager asked me if it would be okay to make a few stops along the way. She had to collect overdue rent and issue eviction notices to four different places. Rather than try to be proactive and cooperative, they act like they're really doing us a favor by allowing us to live there. They should maybe try to work with their tenants (maybe not in this particular case, I mean just in general) to provide value and they wouldn't have so much trouble collecting rent and keeping tenants.

Anyway, roofers are here so I'm an overreacting horse's ass.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by SKR

There's tar and shit where the scratches are, and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have known what they were from.

As you can see it's not that bad, but it's still something I want fixed.

This would be a lot more palatable if they didn't have such an attitude. The rent on this place is outrageous for what it is. There's two buildings here that aren't even full, maybe half full, and they've just finished construction on another and they're starting on a fourth. Meanwhile, it's becoming apparent that this place is a cheaply built piece of shit and their attitude isn't "hey, thanks for choosing us, we really appreciate it", it's "well, if you don't like it here maybe you should move".

I hate being a complainy dick but there's a lot of things that are fucked, they don't do anything about it on their own, and they seem put out to have to do anything other than collect money. Speaking of which, when I was looking at this place, the manager asked me if it would be okay to make a few stops along the way. She had to collect overdue rent and issue eviction notices to four different places. Rather than try to be proactive and cooperative, they act like they're really doing us a favor by allowing us to live there. They should maybe try to work with their tenants (maybe not in this particular case, I mean just in general) to provide value and they wouldn't have so much trouble collecting rent and keeping tenants.

Anyway, roofers are here so I'm an overreacting horse's ass.
    All of those points have nothing to do with the shit that happened to your shit. They're not gonna pay for your shit just because you don't like the way they deal with their/your shit. I'm betting if you pushed the shit onto them even more, the biggest shit would hit the largest fan EVER. Probably better to just go through your insurance as others have suggested, and save yourself from the shithawk swooping down on you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast