Quantcast
Unusually high heating bill - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Unusually high heating bill

My Ride
    2002 Accord

Default Unusually high heating bill

Just got the bill for our natural gas and it looks very fishy. It says we used 19.5GJ of natural gas for Feb. 6 to Mar. 8--the highest we have EVER used.

I don't remember February being that cold. And our gas meter was just replaced a week ago so I can't even go check the readings.

So I was wondering if anyone else had an unusually high gas bill this month?

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 08:00 PM.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

We're with Enmax and I don't think they have an estimated reading anymore on their bills.
    Last edited by Redwagon; 04-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Actually, I had something similar on last month's bill I think. Usage was oddly higher than normal, but I can't remember for what period...

However, this month's bill included ZERO natural gas charges, not even the fixed ones. There wasn't even a section for it. I'm hoping/assuming at this point that the previous month was some sort of estimate.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Were you running your fireplace lots last month?
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Did you happen to leave windows or doors open when it was sunny out and the thermostat still at the winter setpoint?

Yes they do have estimated values on their bills. Under the BC column header next to the Site ID, A - actual, E - estimate.
    heloc that shit

Do you know why they changed the gas meter? I think they would have taken a reading before they replaced it. 19.5GJ is too high but what was it last month or last year?

If you own the house then it's a good idea to keep the bills and keep track of every month. When I was with Atco they under estimated during the summer and then in February they did an actual reading and it was really high. It took a bit of work to go through all the bills but in the end they spread the amount used over a six month period. Back then the price of gas was $2/GJ in August and $9/GJ in January.
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

Don't have a fireplace and windows are closed because we still have the plastic wrap we put on them for the winter.

I didn't realize about the A and E on the billing for actual and estimated now. So this month's was actual but last month's was estimated so they might have underestimated last month's and tacked it on to this month.

Thanks for the help guys. Still sucks to have to pay close to $300 for utilities...Calgary is getting too expensive.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

Also figured this was a good time to add a new sig.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by Redwagon

Thanks for the help guys. Still sucks to have to pay close to $300 for utilities...Calgary is getting too expensive.

We have been paying ~255 for the last 5 months in our 1900 square foot 2 story.

Although 3 guys don't have the best energy saving attitude. =P

Originally posted by Redwagon
    Don't have a fireplace and windows are closed because we still have the plastic wrap we put on them for the winter.

I didn't realize about the A and E on the billing for actual and estimated now. So this month's was actual but last month's was estimated so they might have underestimated last month's and tacked it on to this month.

I had the same thing happen to me. One month was double the usual and it happened to be an estimated month. You can also read your own meter and submit the reading to them as well.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

I'll check mine when I get home I recall an unusual one now that you mention it

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Mine was higher for Feb as well, didn't think much of it but will look at it again myself, cuz I don't recall being cold in feb as well, and the sucker was a good 25-30% higher the the month prior when it was actually cold outside

My Ride
    2014 Mustang GT DIB track pkg 2010 GMC Terrain SLT

There was a thing about Direct Energy on the news yesterday. They don't read the meter every month and estimate, so people got bills for like $3,000 and more. Apparently they are going to help these customers out some how and it happened with about 5% of their clients. Not sure if this is what you are referring too though.

Edit: Just read you are with Enmax so this isn't applicable in your situation.

Reading>me