Quantcast
Province introduces distracted driver legislation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Province introduces distracted driver legislation

Default Province introduces distracted driver legislation

Province introduces distracted driver legislation

Alberta is proposing new legislation that would make it illegal to text while driving.
    Updated: Wed Apr. 14 2010 15:38:01

ctvcalgary.ca

The province has proposed a new bill that will get tough on distracted drivers.

Bill 16 proposes a ban on the use of hand-held cell phones, texting, reading, writing, personal grooming, and restricts the use of other electronic devices while driving.

"We are sending a strong safety message to all Albertans: When you're in your vehicle, your focus must be on driving," says Luke Oulette, Alberta's minister of transportation.

The bill also proposes a $172 fine for infractions but offenders will not face demerit points.

The legislation has been introduced by Art Johnston, the MLA for Calgary-Hays.

"This is a complex issue and I believe we have found a good balance between enforcement and safety," says Johnston.

The bill does outline some exemptions to the rules.

Drivers would be able to use hands-free phones; they would also be allowed to use their hand-held phones in case of emergency.

CB radios would also be allowed to be used for commercial purposes and search and rescue services.

Emergency personnel would be exempt from the new rules.

The proposed legislation is expected to be debated in the legislature this fall.

For a complete list of the items contained in the proposed legislation, click on the link for Distracted Driver Legislation.
    From http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

I think it's a good move. Hopefully it makes it through without much trouble.

I agree, nearly everytime I see someone all over the road, they have a cell in their hand. And don't get me started on the guy I saw shaving.

My Ride
    Nissan

too many dumb@## drivers on the road trying t multi-task

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

I've seen a couple cops on the road on their cell phones... so if I take a photo with my cell phone could they be held accountable too?

and then I would get a stick up my ass for taking the picture?

but in all seriousness, definitely a good thing.

Hell yeah, my drive to/from work isn't complete without almost getting run off the road by some jackoff with a cellphone attached to his face. This is one ticket I actually want to see cops write.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by v2kai
    I've seen a couple cops on the road on their cell phones...
    That's my only concern about this legislation. Certain professions NEED cell phones during day to day work and a lot of the time they're on the move while using them. Texting, surfing the net, gaming, sexting, I'm happy for that shit to be gone. Talking on the cell while driving is probably the only one that serves any real purpose though.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

and what about gps on the phone?

I thought this came up a while ago, and alberta had no plan to follow BC and Ontario (not sure what other provinces have new laws against cell phones being used in cars)...

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by Benny

That's my only concern about this legislation. Certain professions NEED cell phones during day to day work and a lot of the time they're on the move while using them. Texting, surfing the net, gaming, sexting, I'm happy for that shit to be gone. Talking on the cell while driving is probably the only one that serves any real purpose though.
    handsfree deck or headset still allows this so shouldnt be an issue really

Yeah this is good news for me. I hate seeing people texting and typing emails when they're driving anywhere near me. Not sure it will be enforced very well though, as it all hinges on a cop catching you in the act. Hope it goes through.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This should be interesting. I hate seeing people talking on their phones. If they want to use them they should invest in a bluetooth, or use speaker phone.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Benny

As long as its handsfree, I don't think the cops has grounds to fine you.

This basically for everyone fumbling with a handset while driving.

I think we should follow BC for handsfree only, completely. While it's not the root of the problem, it's the only enforcable solution until they start banning bluetooth in car.

As much as I hate people driving while on their cellphones I would much rather they didn't pass another law that won't be enforced effectively. Why not just hand out dangerous driving tickets for people who are driving retarded regardless of the reason?

good
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    TSX

I definitely hope they pass this.

Was driving down Macleod Trail South couple weeks ago and this drunk native was walking across in the middle of the road. Me and everyone else start slowing down except the vehicle in front of me. I seriously thought this vehicle was going to crash right into him and send this guy flying in the air but it swerved to the last left at the last second and I believe her side mirror just barely clipped him. The drunk native made a 360 spin and then continued to walk across the street. Pulled up beside the vehicle afterwards and it was some dumb blonde bitch texting on her phone.

I'm not going to lie..i text on my phone while driving once in awhile as well but I always pay attention to the road at the same time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    As much as I hate people driving while on their cellphones I would much rather they didn't pass another law that won't be enforced effectively. Why not just hand out dangerous driving tickets for people who are driving retarded regardless of the reason?
    Dangerous driving almost has no ground. Even Scat19 can get away with that kind of ticket.

Really, the only enforceable law would be phone in hand. We are having more and more distraction these days, people need to get back to driving.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Speed_69

I'm not going to lie..i text on my phone while driving once in awhile as well but I always pay attention to the road at the same time.
    There is no way you can pay attention to the road and text at the same time. You are either looking at the screen or you are driving, unless you meant to say that you text while driving but don't look at the phone. That I could believe. I still think you should be ticketed as well, but I'm not a cop and as long as you don't hit me I don't care what risks you take.

I sure do hope that this bill passes.

My Ride
    Audi

http://alberta.ca/acn/201004/28137FD...DA9C231ED.html

Activity
    Legislation

Cell phone
    A driver must not hold, view or manipulate an electronic communication device that can send or receive phone calls, electronic data, electronic mail or text messages.
    A driver may use a cell phone in hands-free mode.

Personal digital assistant-PDA devices
    A driver must not hold, view or manipulate an electronic communication device that can send or receive phone calls, electronic data, electronic mail or text messages.
    A driver may use the cell phone function of a PDA in hands-free mode.

Hand-held wireless or electronic devices
    A driver must not hold, view or manipulate an electronic device.

Two-way(CB) radios
    Drivers may not use CB radios unless they are for commercial purposes or search and rescue services.

Contacting emergency response units
    Drivers may use hand held phones to contact emergency response units.

Portable audio players
    (e.g., MP3 and other
    Music/Audio Players)
    A person may use a music/audio player but it must be programmed or set up in advance of driving so that drivers are not manually typing or inputting information while driving.
    If the music player is connected to the vehicle sound system drivers may use the vehicle controls to operate the MP3 player.

GPS navigation systems
    A person may use a GPS system but it must be programmed or set up in advance of driving so that drivers are not manually typing or inputting information while driving.
    GPS units must be secured to the vehicle and may only be used in a voice-activated manner while driving.

Video display screens
    A driver may not permit a video display screen to be activated and within view of that driver unless the screen is:
    a GPS navigation device being used to obtain navigation information,
    a cellular telephone being used in hands-free mode,
    a logistical transportation tracking system device used to track vehicle location, driver status or the delivery of packages or other goods for commercial purposes,
    a dispatch system used for the transportation of passengers,
    a collision avoidance system device when used to provide collision avoidance information, or
    an instrument, gauge, device or system that is used to provide information to the individual regarding the status of various systems and position of the vehicle.

Logistical Transportation Tracking Systems and Dispatch Systems
    Drivers are restricted from holding, viewing or manipulating these systems while driving.
    However, these systems are permitted in vehicles that require them for commercial purposes. Drivers must program them before they begin driving.

Reading
    Drivers are restricted from reading printed materials while driving.

Writing
    Drivers are restricted from writing, drawing or sketching while driving.

Grooming
    Drivers are restricted from attending to personal hygiene or grooming while driving.

I like it unless I have missed something when I scanned it. I agree with the proper enforcement however
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

would this mean i can eat big bacon classics whilst driving????!??!?!

Originally posted by nonlinear
    would this mean i can eat big bacon classics whilst driving????!??!?!
    You bet. McNuggets in one hand, sauce in the other and fries balancing on my lap!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast