Quantcast
Official World Cup 2010 South Africa Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 50 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official World Cup 2010 South Africa Thread

My Ride
    X5

Default Official World Cup 2010 South Africa Thread

Biggest sporting event in the world! I haven't seen much talk on here about it, so just thought i'd start this.

What teams are you cheering for, what do you think of the initial group matches? I think Group G will have stellar matches, particularly Brazil v Portugal and Brazil v Ivory Coast.

I will be heading to SA in June to see a few games, anyone else going?

Only 57 days to kickoff!

My allegiance has always been with the Italians. Unfortunately not going this year but cannot wait till it begins

Forza Azzuri!

Damn that must be sweet, some of those stadiums look sick. I was looking at the schedule today and all the games are in the morning because of the time difference.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Cheering for Serbia. Anyone know if the jerseys can be bought anywhere locally yet?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Default Re: Official World Cup 2010 South Africa Thread

Originally posted by Marsh

I will be heading to SA in June to see a few games, anyone else going?
    What city are you going to? make sure you are VERY careful down there.... they have said there is an increase in Police presence... but that doesnt mean a whole lot.
    All of the South Africans I know are worried and a little bit embarassed at what all of the vistors will think... (Wife and her family are from SA..)
    If you are in Cape Town or one of the smaller cities you should be ok.. I wouldnt be caught dead in Jo-Berg..

My Ride
    2015 bmw x5 2011 bmw 328i wagon 1990 bmw 325ic

Marsh,
    I am heading down there on the 15th of June. I am spending a good month there.
    What games will you be watching?

What a life.

Looking forward to good performances from Spain and Holland and perhaps Argentina provided they get their act together, and looking forward to the yanks beating the English

My Ride
    X5

Default Re: Re: Official World Cup 2010 South Africa Thread

Originally posted by R-Audi

What city are you going to? make sure you are VERY careful down there.... they have said there is an increase in Police presence... but that doesnt mean a whole lot.
    All of the South Africans I know are worried and a little bit embarassed at what all of the vistors will think... (Wife and her family are from SA..)
    If you are in Cape Town or one of the smaller cities you should be ok.. I wouldnt be caught dead in Jo-Berg..
    Yeah i definitely have to keep an eye out, Cape town will be ok i think. Im going to Cape town and Joburg haha.

Originally posted by el-nino
    Marsh,
    I am heading down there on the 15th of June. I am spending a good month there.
    What games will you be watching?
    Sweet thats awesome! which cities? I got tix to Brazil v. Ivory Coast, Italy v Paraguay, and Argentina v S.Korea. How about you?

My Ride
    2015 bmw x5 2011 bmw 328i wagon 1990 bmw 325ic

I only got tickets for one game. Portugal vs Korea.
    I will be spending a week in Capetown, A week in Joburg, a week in Durban and another week on a safari.
    We should try and meet up when were there.

What a life.

I'll be watching it on TV.

The World Cup is mostly crap football with one or two big games that are worth watching.

The knockout rounds of the Champions League is FAR higher quality.

My Ride
    08 MKV Golf

deutschland uber alles
    Germany To Win The World Cup, Bayern Munchen To Win Champions & Liverpool To Win Europa

My Ride
    TL

Getting close to the roster announcements, looks like some people may be playing short handed or have players that are hurrying to come back from injury *cough* Spain *cough*

Provisional squad announcement - May 12, 2010
    Final squad deadline - June 10, 2010

Video for those that watch this the whole way through, otherwise you should start a Facebook group called "I only watch soccer during the World Cup, and when its over i don't watch soccer for another 4 years" .

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

Can't believe Brazil isn't putting Ronaldhino in the lineup...I don't follow soccer too much...but isn't he one of the best?

Here is the lineup:

The Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (AS Roma), Gomes (Tottenham Hotspur)

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (AS Roma), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Fiorentina), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo), Josue (VfL Wolfsburg).

Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Grafite (VfL Wolfsburg)

Originally posted by rony_espana
    Can't believe Brazil isn't putting Ronaldhino in the lineup...I don't follow soccer too much...but isn't he one of the best?

Here is the lineup:

The Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Doni (AS Roma), Gomes (Tottenham Hotspur)

Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan), Juan (AS Roma), Luisao (Benfica), Thiago Silva (AC Milan)

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Felipe Melo (Fiorentina), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray), Kaka (Real Madrid), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo), Josue (VfL Wolfsburg).

Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Nilmar (Villarreal), Grafite (VfL Wolfsburg)
    Ronaldinho WAS one of the best until he moved to Milan, let himself get fat, and started partying until the wee hours every night. He's lazy and well past it.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Jim Rome99

Ronaldinho WAS one of the best until he moved to Milan, let himself get fat, and started partying until the wee hours every night. He's lazy and well past it.
    Even before he went to Milan IMO, 2006 just showed how selfish he was as a player. Shortly, after Messi began to really feature at Farca and really taking away the influence of the play from Ronaldinho. Even though he is doing okay at Milan, he would not fit into the new Brasilian style that Dunga has been coming up with. None of that joga bonita crap that Nike was spewing, they are about winning games now and being efficient now.

Only real surprise is Grafite as a call up.

Maradona has left off Zanetti and Cambiasso off the Argentine squad. Cambiasso has been baffling for me, since he has been in form for Inter but has not been a call-up during Diego's days as coach.

Van Nistelrooy is also left off the Dutch squad.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

My Ride
    2003 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by toyboy88
    Just some footballers' wives...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/w...photo=11137045
    What kind of topic about the World Cup and soccer would be complete without this reference?? Players' Wives..of course!

I am pretty excited about the upcoming World Cup but like Ronaldo, not too excited about my favorite country, Italy's chances. As much I love Lippi and our 2006 win, we are really lacking creativity in the midfield and a solid scoring duo. I'm glad Toni is gone but would have loved to see Totti and Cassano in the lineup. I believe Rossi should be given a chance to start along with Gilardino. Here's hoping an easy group stage builds some momentum into the knock out stages.

Top 3 Picks would have to be Brazil, Argentina and Spain.
    Brazil won Confederations and looked good doing it and they are now working well as a team. Argentina looks solid with their strikers and having Messi doesn't hurt but I think Maradona as coach might be their liability. Spain looks as good as ever but huge losses if Xavi and Torres can't return from their injuries.

Anyone got some sleepers in terms of players that might have a great tournament? Then command a huge transfer fee over the summer, only to suck and be remembered as the World Cup Flop?? haha

Where in Calgary are the best places to watch the World Cup?

Brazilian bars?

Ship & Anchor for the England games for sure. I'll be there to laugh at the yanks on June 12. Score prediction 3-1 England.
    Mr. Madison, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Any pics for an underdog in the final four? This is where the bigger money will be made, the winners and final two are normally of no shock to anyone.

My picks:

Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
    Ghana
    Nigeria
    Slovenia
    USA
    Last edited by HondaKid; 05-19-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Page 1 of 50 1 2 11 ... LastLast