Quantcast
Calgary 2010 mayoralty race - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary 2010 mayoralty race

thanks for the links! i think nenshi is the way to go... sometimes the talk is whatever.. but his background seems solid...

Jeez, our upcoming civic election has nothing controversial of note compared to what's happening up in Edmonton what with the Edmonton City Centre Airport shutting down one runway and now there's a petition with 55,000 signatures that may be ruled invalid by Edmonton city lawyers before their election (Edmonton Journal story). This appears to be a really contentious issue in Edmonton and here in Calgary we have what going on - backyard egg laying, a couple of pedestrian bridges and a soon to be dead race track that also appears to be a non-issue this upcoming election. Will be more interesting to watch the Edmonton issues methinks.
    Will fuck off, again.

^ I don't get the local's opposition to closing down the City Centre Airport in Edmonton...

How often are Edmontonians bitching about how unfair it is that Calgary gets all of the new international routes and that Calgary has far better connection times, etc?

If these people knew anything, they would know that a big reason for this was the EAA's desire to run flights from BOTH airports! Calgary was the beneficiary of Edmonton's madness... and now that we've had the chance to grow our market, the flights are not going back to Edmonton.

City Centre makes sense due to location... why they decided to build YEG about 35 km south of downtown is beyond me... and it's too late to change back now.

Sorry about the hijack... but it's a contentious issue that is completely absurd.

Calgary Herald's word clouds for 11 of the 12 mayoralty candidates (link) - it's where the Herald took the campaign biographies of Calgary's mayoral candidates and created cloud graphics showing the most used words.
    Will fuck off, again.

Calgary Herald's "Who's running where" site.
    Will fuck off, again.

Calgary sun is running a poll.... I know it's the sun but it's still a poll...

calgary sun link

My Ride
    Golf

Latest Nenshi campaign video. Lays out his main themes of his policy platform.

Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/nenshi4calgary

I haven't been privy with all the candidates platforms but are you aware of anyone whose platform extends beyond “tough on crime”, “your taxes are too high”, and “road congestion sucks”?

Did any bother to speak on education?

In the news...

The airport tunnel issue resurfaces, monies might be available, meaning this tunnel could become an election issue. Calgary Herald story here

Eleven of twelve attending mayor candidates don't support the soon to be in place Peace bridge - Calgary SUN story here. So even though this bridge is as good as done, it could very well have a big impact on the election's outcomes.

Race City and motor sports in general - seems to be a dead issue so far in this election as the mainstream media certainly doesn't seem to have anything out there.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by speedog
    Calgary Herald's word clouds for 11 of the 12 mayoralty candidates (link) - it's where the Herald took the campaign biographies of Calgary's mayoral candidates and created cloud graphics showing the most used words.
    These clouds are always interesting. What is unique is that only Nenshi and Bob do not have another candidate as their 'large' words. Good to see them run on their own vision, versus attacking another as one of their key focus.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Originally posted by Nusc
    Did any bother to speak on education?
    Education falls under provincial jurisdiction, not the municipality.

I certainly hope the airport tunnel gets some traction in this campaign. I simply think the City is making a huge mistake in being short sighted and not exploring ALL options that exist to put this tunnel in place. The far NE is expected to grow substantially in the next decade. Let's do it right the first time.

I favour putting a toll on the tunnel... let those who need and use the tunnel pay it off over time. I don't think people commuting to/from the NE are going to care about a few nickles & dimes to avoid driving additional distance.

That airport tunnel's going to be an issue - another Calgary SUN story here
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    TL

How many beyond members will be voting this year? Have you voted in the past?

I hope that there is a higher turnout than normal for the civic election.

I think Nenshi seems like the best candidate. Higgens has the fiscal/social balance down, but doesn't provide a whole lot of planning or concepts to accomplish the goals she laid out. McIver looks like an alright candidate, but he doesn't seem like he knows how to accomplish his platform. The rest of the candidates aren't really serious contenders, IMO.

Nenshi has some solid articles detailing ways to make the city run better. I appreciate his educated background and his logical resolve to common problems.

Originally posted by Oz-

Have voted in every civic, provincial or federal election - kind of figure that I don't have a right to bitch if I didn't at least exercise my right to vote.
    Will fuck off, again.

Updated initial post in thread to reflect two more hats in the ring - Derek McKenzie and Bonnie Devine. Count is now at 14.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by speedog
    Updated initial post in thread to reflect two more hats in the ring - Derek McKenzie and Bonnie Devine. Count is now at 14.
    At this rate we will wake up October 19th and the headlines will read "Barb Higgins new Mayor of Calgary".

14 candidates, way too many. The vote is just going to end up being split, and Higgin's will win based on name recognition alone.

Edit:

Originally posted by Oz-

I turned 18 last year, so this will be my first time voting. I have always had an interest in Politics/Current events. With no Mayoral incumbent running, I think/hope that the turn out will be far better than ever before. Calgary has a huge history of voter apathy.

They say the municipal level of politics is the one that directly effects you the most. Vote people!
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dino_martini
    [B]

At this rate we will wake up October 19th and the headlines will read "Barb Higgins new Mayor of Calgary".

are u sure 100 percent that she will win?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by CHICHARITZHI
    [B]
    Originally posted by dino_martini

are u sure 100 percent that she will win?
    Based on name recognition alone. 14 candidates is just vote splitting. Hopefully before the polls open we will be down to 5-6 candidates.
    Last edited by dino_martini; 08-29-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast